Proposal: EP for EEk

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
There’s a reason teams that are top heavy with high priced players don’t win the Cup. Let’s see if you have the brains to figure it out.
I don’t know how true this is. Vegas just won paying Eichel $10 mill, Stone $9.5, and Pietro just shy of $9 mill. Tampa had Kucherov at $9.5, Vas at $9.5, Stamkos at $8.5, and Hedman at $8.

Keep in mind that $12-12.5 will be similar to $9-9.5 with the rising cap coming.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Pettersson at 12, and the next highest paid player we have is Miller at 8, and cap space to retain Hronek, Joshua, Zadorov and other key players.

That is an enormous difference between the Canucks, and, say, Toronto and 4 players eating up half the cap and no room to keep first and second line wingers longer then a season or two.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Pettersson at 12, and the next highest paid player we have is Miller at 8, and cap space to retain Hronek, Joshua, Zadorov and other key players.

That is an enormous difference between the Canucks, and, say, Toronto and 4 players eating up half the cap and no room to keep first and second line wingers longer then a season or two.

EP wants McDavid's money and he's 3/4 (at best) the player McDavid is...

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Why are you so desperate to prove your own ignorance?
you're right, i should stop trying to help someone understand easily accessible facts and statistics. I should let them live in their own little world when they demonstrate they cant comprehend these details.

you were right, Boldy wasn't JEE's 2nd most common forward linemate at 5 on 5 last season, and JEE was playing with scrubs and hasnt grown his game or changed 1 bit besides now finally playing in the top 6. The rest of the world is wrong for recording and documenting otherwise. Carry on.

Last edited:

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I can't believe I'm about to say something nice about a Wild player, but this isn't the lopsided deal people are making it out to be. All things considered (skill, attitude, contract situation) I'd be tempted to take JEE. He seems more like the type you win with

Reactions: Seiza

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Fair enough but the Canucks are keeping EP, this "the other guys is a good player too but on a better contract" stuff doesn't work well in real life.

Maybe too many people are in fantasy salary cap pools?

.... the NHL is a salary cap pool league...

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
.... the NHL is a salary cap pool league...
Sure but the difference is that in fantasy leagues every team can trade like Phil Esposito on a Saturday night at the bar.

In the real NHL teams mostly can only use that "extra" cap space on overpriced UFAs.

the Tim Stutzle versus Matthews off season thread is exhibit A there and there was a Jack Hughes one as well.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Sure but the difference is that in fantasy leagues every team can trade like Phil Esposito on a Saturday night at the bar.

In the real NHL teams mostly can only use that "extra" cap space on overpriced UFAs.

the Tim Stutzle versus Matthews off season thread is exhibit A there and there was a Jack Hughes one as well.
But you don't win cups with massive contracts.

9 years ago Toews and Kane signed the first 8 figure AAV contracts. It took until last season for a team to win the cup with an 8 figure AAV contract (Vegas with Eichel).

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
But you don't win cups with massive contracts.

9 years ago Toews and Kane signed the first 8 figure AAV contracts. It took until last season for a team to win the cup with an 8 figure AAV contract (Vegas with Eichel).
I'm just saying for those taking one guy over the other when clearly EP is the best guy between the 2 because of contracts isn't the way to go.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I'm just saying for those taking one guy over the other when clearly EP is the best guy between the 2 because of contracts isn't the way to go.
I know, I just disagree. EP puts up points sure, but he's about to get overpaid and has a questionable attitude. I'm taking the cheaper guy that's still one helluva goal scorer, is signed to a good contract, and is approaching selke level defense

• Haha
Reactions: Ace of Hades

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I know, I just disagree. EP puts up points sure, but he's about to get overpaid and has a questionable attitude. I'm taking the cheaper guy that's still one helluva goal scorer, is signed to a good contract, and is approaching selke level defense
What's this questionable attitude BS?

Also you do recognize that EP40 is the better goal scorer and outpoints EEK by like 20+ points a year 3 years straight right?

EP40 is also a very good 2 way player.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
What's this questionable attitude BS?

Also you do recognize that EP40 is the better goal scorer and outpoints EEK by like 20+ points a year 3 years straight right?

EP40 is also a very good 2 way player.
BS? He's streaky af, tells Vancouver he wants to play for a winner, they start winning and offer him a more than generous contract and he still wants to sign? Or if the rumors are true of anything from hating JT Miller to wanting to go to a "fashionable" US city... yea no thanks.

I get it, he puts up points. But you don't simply point your way to a Stanley Cup, otherwise the Leafs would've surely won one by now

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
My extended play records don't generally get traded. Especially for whatever an EEK is. Pretty sure it's a mouse cry. So no, definitely not.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
I said they were similar caliber players and oh look once again Mangiapane is out scoring Fiala at EV.

Regardless, even you aren't moronic enough to think that JEE and EP40 are similar caliber players. One is a top 10 center in the league while the other sits somewhere in the top 25-50 range
And one wants to be paid like mcdavid, Matthews and MacKinnon despite not being on their level, while the other is making under half that.

Reactions: PettersonHughes

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

No. The Wild can use that on Kaprizov, Faber and Rossi extensions.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
EP wants McDavid's money and he's 3/4 (at best) the player McDavid is...
I don't know about that. EP is a good defensive player. McDavid has cherry picked his entire career until the coaching change this season. I think his ceiling is far lower than McDavid's, but his impact on winning is pretty close to McDavid level.

Reactions: PettersonHughes

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020

You're right. Eriksson Ek is only approaching Selke level defense. Do you see where Petey is?
1709009233322.png

Lot more points. Even more highly rated defensively. Guess EP40 still doesn't deserve big money. Ask GMs around the league who the top C's in the league are (hint, one of these guys is on the list, the other isn't). McDavid, then who? The NHL's best centers right now, according to players and execs. Point is, you get what you pay for, and Petey's hardly overpaid when you look at his body of work in the league.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
Weirdest part of this thread is people trashing Pettersson for his defensive play.

Second-weirdest is people criticizing his face-off ability. He's over 49% this year. Pretty common for players to improve at faceoffs throughout their 20s.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Sure they will make a great gold foursome this spring eh?

All kidding aside as good as JEE is EP40 is much better and this trade is DOA.
Probably why he is about to get a 229% bigger AAV than Ek while being maybe a 10-15% better player.

Eriksson Ek is pretty solidly at point per game when he’s not playing with the likes of Foligno and Greenway. In a salary cap world, a player’s value is impacted by their AAV.

Reactions: JKG33

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
No. The Wild can use that on Kaprizov, Faber and Rossi extensions.
Probably why he is about to get a 229% bigger AAV than Ek while being maybe a 10-15% better player.

Eriksson Ek is pretty solidly at point per game when he’s not playing with the likes of Foligno and Greenway. In a salary cap world, a player’s value is impacted by their AAV.
Look the trade would never happen from the Canucks POV and Minny fans wouldn't do the trade either if the teams each player played for was reversed and everyone here knows it.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
You're right. Eriksson Ek is only approaching Selke level defense. Do you see where Petey is?
View attachment 825800
Lot more points. Even more highly rated defensively. Guess EP40 still doesn't deserve big money. Ask GMs around the league who the top C's in the league are (hint, one of these guys is on the list, the other isn't). McDavid, then who? The NHL's best centers right now, according to players and execs. Point is, you get what you pay for, and Petey's hardly overpaid when you look at his body of work in the league.

This thing I'm about to do is going to paint the image that I think JEE is the better player, and that's not my intention. I think I don't have enough information to truly decide who the better player is.

That said, these are the Selke votes from the two years prior to the image you showed:
20.21selke.jpg

21.22selke.jpg

Not shown is Pettersson, because he didn't get any votes. If we're talking seriously about the Selke being a recognition for defensive play, I'll take the guy who has multiple years of top-10 consideration over the guy who had one year. I've found that lots of guys with just ok defensive play but a healthy amount of points and high+/- get votes in some years, where the actually best defensive players get votes year after year.
As an example, Mikael Granlund got votes one year for this trophy, and while I think he's solid defensively, I have to add the caveat, for a winger. He was voted ahead of Marian Hossa, Anze Kopitar, and Aleksander Barkov. Do you think Granlund is a better defensive player than those three? Do you think he was even in just that year?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad