Enter the Beyakisms

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
He was some kind of awful last night all the "is that a penalty?", "did that go in?". Isn't that his job to tell us?

JohnStaymoose

Bring Back The Trough
Jul 2, 2016
Mordor
I noticed Beyak say "NHL Officials don't miss many" during yesterdays game which made me laugh out loud as we all know NHL Officials love to miss calls again the Jets.

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
“Are they calling that icing?”, whenever a close call goes against the Jets.

Who was it that got 2018-19’s inaugural “this is NHL game number N for ...” last night and what was the historic number this time? “1021” or something? The first “NHL game number” that is divisible by 10, or that the player himself could conceivably actually care about, everyone gets a cookie.

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
"Kyle Connor to Wheeler, back to Kyle Connor. Kyle Connor sends it to Scheifele who drops it back for Kyle Connor and now over to Byfuglien. Byfuglien to Laine with Kyle Connor in front of the net. Laine shoots, Kyle Connor with the screen, Kyle Connor tips it in he scores! Kyle Connor!"

Sound familiar?

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
He was some kind of awful last night all the "is that a penalty?", "did that go in?". Isn't that his job to tell us?

Not if you're also watching the game. You can see what's going on. A good commentator conveys emotion and atmosphere. If it's uncertain whether it's a goal or not then Beyek conveys that uncertainty.

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Not if you're also watching the game. You can see what's going on. A good commentator conveys emotion and atmosphere. If it's uncertain whether it's a goal or not then Beyek conveys that uncertainty.

He never says those things (at least not in that sort of whiny tone he has) unless they favour the Jets, though. He's a fan -- he's not a career media guy at all, as far as I understand -- reflexively voicing his wishful thinking on every potential non-call or wrong-call that potentially affects his team's chances. Sometimes, it's almost as though he's hoping that someone from the Jets will hear him: that's how it sounded to me when he slipped in a comment about the Blues possibly being offside at one point early (I think) in yesterday's game. There's nothing wrong with it, really, but in his non-obnoxious way he is a real homer. One thing I've noticed (or, at least, it's my impression) is that most of the other NHL team commentators tend to show quite a bit more interest in the opposition's players and stories than the Jets broadcasters do, or at least Dennis.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
He never says those things (at least not in that sort of whiny tone he has) unless they favour the Jets, though. He's a fan -- he's not a career media guy at all, as far as I understand -- reflexively voicing his wishful thinking on every potential non-call or wrong-call that potentially affects his team's chances. Sometimes, it's almost as though he's hoping that someone from the Jets will hear him: that's how it sounded to me when he slipped in a comment about the Blues possibly being offside at one point early (I think) in yesterday's game. There's nothing wrong with it, really, but in his non-obnoxious way he is a real homer. One thing I've noticed (or, at least, it's my impression) is that most of the other NHL team commentators tend to show quite a bit more interest in the opposition's players and stories than the Jets broadcasters do, or at least Dennis.

I am sorry that it is getting so difficult for you? :dunno:

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013

One of the things I love about him. I like homer announcers. If balances out the Sportsnet guys.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
One of the things I love about him. I like homer announcers. If balances out the Sportsnet guys.
All fans like homer announcers. Every local announcer on the planet is bias for the home team because 99% of fans prefer that. National announcers are always seen as favouring the other team because they aren't bias towards your preferred team. Of course in the Leafs case the national announcers are actually biased towards the Leafs so we all hate them out of hand.

Reactions: Bartho

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
If you think Dennis is too much of a homer, watch a Leafs game.

Literally skreeees

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad