Enter the Beyakisms

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I SCREAM AT THE TV EVERY TIME!!!

A give and go is when you make a short pass to a player and then you take off, and get it back. It's a way of beating a defender. A pass back and forth is not a give and go, especially on the PP.

NO ONE IS GOING ANYWHERE, DENNIS!!!

The other one that really grates me is 'Grabs it off'.

What the **** does that even mean? Nonsensical.

Right - give and give back, no go.

:laugh: Despite all the Beyakisms, I've learned to love Dennis. He is soooo much better than many of the others out there. And he does try, Lord love him. :laugh:

Apparently he claims that Vesalainen told him to pronounce his name that way. Some of our Finn friends have confirmed that it is wrong and we are right. I wonder if Dennis might have a bit of a listening problem on that one. :laugh: He isn't going to change as long as he believes he is pronouncing it the way KV wants it pronounced.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Right - give and give back, no go.

:laugh: Despite all the Beyakisms, I've learned to love Dennis. He is soooo much better than many of the others out there. And he does try, Lord love him. :laugh:

Apparently he claims that Vesalainen told him to pronounce his name that way. Some of our Finn friends have confirmed that it is wrong and we are right. I wonder if Dennis might have a bit of a listening problem on that one. :laugh: He isn't going to change as long as he believes he is pronouncing it the way KV wants it pronounced.

Beyak is never wong. He's just less right than usual. I want the man to narrate my wedding/funeral. Truly a voice from heaven.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Beyak is never wong. He's just less right than usual. I want the man to narrate my wedding/funeral. Truly a voice from heaven.
My former boss never liked him. He once told me that he ran into Beyak in City Place and told him to go **** himself. My boss was probably exaggerating though, because I can't see him actually doing that. But it was a good story for the office! :laugh:

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
"Biiiiiig!! Hit by Dustin Byfuglien"!

"A pair of (insert numbers) battling it out".

"Did Hellebuyck get a piece of that? I think he might have".

Oh Dennis, you're like a pair of old slippers.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I think Darrin Bauming would do a good job at play-by-play if Beyak left.

Bauming isn't any better than the other 1290 bozos IMO, with his forced emphasis. I guess he might not be quite as much of a blatant homer as the others, but still a homer.

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Any save made by a goalie, excluding a glove save: "And [goalie name] kicks that away"
Any shot that may or may not have struck a goalie, excluding a glove save: "And [goalie name] may have got a piece of that"

I enjoy Beyak's calls. Especially after enduring last year's Boston-TO series. He's one of the few guys in the league who sounds like he could be teleported back to 1940 and fit right in, without the eye-rolling homerism or numbing tedium of some of the present-day "classic" announcers.

At his best he’s excellent. One of the few who make the game sound as exciting as in the days of radio. It’s just when he gets into number trivia too much that I find him a little hard to bear. The guy just loves numbers ... any number at all. It starts to feel as though he likes hockey primarily as a generator of opportunities to mention numbers.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
At his best he’s excellent. One of the few who make the game sound as exciting as in the days of radio. It’s just when he gets into number trivia too much that I find him a little hard to bear. The guy just loves numbers ... any number at all. It starts to feel as though he likes hockey primarily as a generator of opportunities to mention numbers.

Could be that he doesn't know the technicalities of hockey well enough so using extraneous numbers makes him feel like he does.

TexasJetsFan

Jan 20, 2014
Am I the only one who can't stand Beyak? I would prefer Paul Edmonds to do play by play and Beyak as colour analyst.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Christian Vasselainen.

I don't mind American version of Christian, that's like they say Patrick in Patrik Laine. It's obviously wrong, but it works well anyway.

But Vasselainen (or Vessalainen, have heard both) is something that's hard to swallow. Just cut the other 's' out there and that's already very close.

It's Ve-sa-lai-nen. 'Ve' should just get a little bit more weight than the rest, but otherwise you pronounce Finnish just pretty monotonous way like a robot. If you know how to pronounce "Lai-ne" and "Ve-sa" (as in Vesa Toskala) or even "E-sa" as in Esa Tikkanen or Esa Lindell, you already can pronounce Vesalainen. Just add 'n' in the end and 'v' in the beginning.

There are not silent letters in Finnish and it's fully phonetic too, so if you ever see a letter, you always pronounce it the same way (with the exception of "ng" which gets pronounced bit like in English but not "first N and then G").

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Am I the only one who can't stand Beyak? I would prefer Paul Edmonds to do play by play and Beyak as colour analyst.
You are not the only one. He is truly terrible. I find it hard to believe he was the best they could find. If you take a drink every time you hear "is this going to be a penalty?" or he reference a totally random milestone like "player X is playing in game 318" you'd be drunk before the second intermission.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
He was in my class in Junior High. I'd like to "know" somebody on tv!

I met Dreger once. He was even worse in real life than he seems on tv.
Bauming is a genuinely nice guy, and no one works harder than he does.

Dreger is a stiff goofball, and his only Winnipeg Jets source is his old buddy, Joe Pascussi.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
You are not the only one. He is truly terrible. I find it hard to believe he was the best they could find. If you take a drink every time you hear "is this going to be a penalty?" or he reference a totally random milestone like "player X is playing in game 318" you'd be drunk before the second intermission.
Could be worse...we could have Rod Black.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Bauming is a genuinely nice guy, and no one works harder than he does.

Dreger is a stiff goofball, and his only Winnipeg Jets source is his old buddy, Joe Pascussi.
Bauming wasn't in my direct circle of friends, but he was pretty easy to get along with. Had a cool haircut, too.

Dreger came off even more full of himself in person than he does on tv. And this was back when he was doing local sports. Can only imagine how much it would suck to hang out with him now.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
My former boss never liked him. He once told me that he ran into Beyak in City Place and told him to go **** himself. My boss was probably exaggerating though, because I can't see him actually doing that. But it was a good story for the office! :laugh:

If he did that he’d be my hero for life.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad