GWT: English Premier League: 4/16 - 4/18/2016

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Stoke is a pain in the ***.

That's no gimme today. Get through that and then I'll entertain potential Spurs championship scenarios.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Gotcha. Hatterson had mentioned a few possible scenarios, maybe I got confused with EL allotments.

For the CL England gets 4 berths. Those are assigned to the top 4 in the PL.

If a team finishes in the top 4 *and* wins either the Europa League or Champions League their spot is not re-assigned to a lower team.

In addition, a country can only have a maximum of 5 representatives in the CL in a given year. That means if City wins the CL, Liverpool wins the Europa and somehow *both* of them finish outside of the top 4, then the 4th place team would be given a Europa berth instead of a CL berth to maintain the maximum of 5.

There is no circumstance that would have the 5th place PL team make it into the champions league based on domestic performance.

The Europa League qualifying is where spots can be re-assigned if a team earns a Europa spot but also qualifies for the CL via domestic performance or if they earn a Europa spot in multiple ways (ie, United win the FA cup *and* finish 5th)

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
You never know. If Spurs win tomorrow they're only 5 back, and they don't need to pass Leicester to win just tie them as they've got a better GD. Leicester might finally run out of steam at the end of the season...who knows?

I'd much rather Leicester win though, and I would say they've got like...a 90% chance at this point.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I expect Chelsea to be sub-par on the final game of the season as well. They won't have anything to play for.

Yea, they had a chance at a Europa spot but the last two losses have pretty much slammed that door shut. There's still a tiny tiny chance if Liverpool doesn't get many points, Southhampton sucks it up, and ManU wins the FA cup, but that would require quite the run.

Plato

Nov 12, 2005
New York
Newcastle has already beaten Spurs, have them at home, and may need to get a result to survive.

Don't count that last match as an automatic three points for Spurs in your pro-Leicester/pro-Tottenham scenarios.

Sincerely,
It's the Hope that Kills You

If we do well enough until then, to need a result against Spurs to survive, I'll be over the ****ing moon.

Bit worried about Wednesday... Great result this weekend heading into that but City always have their way with us and they're rolling right now.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
harry-kane-lions1.jpg

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Tottenham has such a nice squad, though at this point it would be kind of sad to see them grab it away from Leicester

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Tottenham has such a nice squad, though at this point it would be kind of sad to see them grab it away from Leicester
I believe that Tottenham have a serious squad to contend for the next few years unless they sell Alli or Kane without proper replacement.
If they don't win it this year it's not so bad as it will eventually happen in the next few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad