GWT: English Premier League: 12/19 - 12/21/2015

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
aJAKHlL.jpg

The Liverpool one wasn't a celebration. Apparently fans of English teams need every single thing about football explained to them, because they've never heard of teams clapping their fans.

This team is just really unbalanced. Today we played three #10's, a goalkeeper who belongs nowhere near the Premier League, and an extremely slow midfield. Some massive changes are going to be made in the summer and I'm not sure there are many players who will keep their spot regardless of how good they are.

Anyway, Klopp walked into a poorly performing team that was getting worse, so I suppose we shouldn't be too surprised this is happening now.

Last edited:

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
Liverpool have two of the worst goaltenders amongst any teams in the top European leagues. It just makes no sense as to why they haven't bought somebody. It's not like they are that expensive either.

Say anything remotely negative against Liverpool and you won't hear the end of it.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I think it was pretty clear that he meant in the summer. Liverpool had a chance to upgrade on Mignolet this summer. They failed and brought in Bogdan, who's much much worse

They didn't upgrade on Mignolet because the manager who they fired didn't want them to. It's a fair critique but the person who made the decisions as regards to who would be the starting keeper this season isn't there any longer.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
The Liverpool one wasn't a celebration. Apparently fans of English teams need every single thing about football explained to them, because they've never heard of teams clapping their fans.

The concept of English clubs clapping to their fans isn't anything new. :dunno:

But I haven't seen a team interlinking arms after salvaging a draw vs. West Brom. Maybe you're right in that it's unheralded of in English football.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The concept of English clubs clapping to their fans isn't anything new. :dunno:

But I haven't seen a team interlinking arms after salvaging a draw vs. West Brom. Maybe you're right in that it's unheralded of in English football.

Klopp is doing his best to try to re-engage the fan base. It's easier said than done though. I had mixed emotions about it for obvious reasons but his intent is clear.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I will never understand why Liverpool bought Bogdan when he was barely a starter for Bolton last season.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I will never understand why Liverpool bought Bogdan when he was barely a starter for Bolton last season.

Easy.

Because the didn't want to scare Mignoley because they think he is fragile.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

Because buying players who had good games against us is something Liverpool's done for a few years now. The English-centric mindset of the people in charge played a large part in this. It's comical.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Even though Liverpool bought more players abroad than they did domestically in that timespan. The "English-centric" thing is a myth.

It's sad. There's enough talent on the squad, and much more talent than teams like Watford, West Brom, West Ham, etc. have on their sides and yet two separate managers can't get them to perform consistently. It's not a good thing. Still early days for Klopp so hopefully this is just part of the adjustment period and we can move on.

The need for a top keeper has been obvious for a long time, and hopefully Klopp's talk on Mignolet has just been to keep his confidence up and he doesn't actually believe he's a legitimate keeper. A mobile CM to play with Henderson and a real wide player that can score are needed ASAP.

Also a decent defender to replace Skrtel (who has long been a disaster for Liverpool, tactically and effectually).

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Oh, talking under Brendan. My bad.

I sure wasn't only talking about under Brendan. His bad.

It's also more than 12, also his bad. Counting Borini who was also bought because of his spell in English leagues, it's 15, and a few of the others have never played a single game in the league for the senior side.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Idk I think Andy Carroll and Stewart Downing lend some credibility to the English-centric narrative

Robbie Keane, Paul Konchesky, Stewart Downing, Glen Johnson, Charlie Adam, Jose Enrique, Jermaine Pennant, Chris Kirkland, etc.

The amount of money Liverpool's wasted on English league players is something else. 25m for Lallana's five goals and five assists is interesting as well. They signed Adam Bodgan because he was an English league player who played well against them and that's a fact, I'm shocked anyone would dispute it by obfuscating by changing the conversation entirely. Brad Jones ring a bell? Similar signing, also played in the Championship.

I'll also say there's a lot less talent on this team than he thinks or they wouldn't be losing 3-0 to Watford, drawing West Brom and Southampton at home, losing to Crystal Palace at home. We've got a long way to go and there are going to be some good players that get the axe. Firmino and Benteke may be the first two. Good players but they don't fit in at all. Firmino's performances have been horrifying, doesn't seem to get going until halftime and by then we've been carrying a passenger for 45 minutes.

Last edited:

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
Even though Liverpool bought more players abroad than they did domestically in that timespan. The "English-centric" thing is a myth.

It's sad. There's enough talent on the squad, and much more talent than teams like Watford, West Brom, West Ham, etc. have on their sides and yet two separate managers can't get them to perform consistently. It's not a good thing. Still early days for Klopp so hopefully this is just part of the adjustment period and we can move on.

The need for a top keeper has been obvious for a long time, and hopefully Klopp's talk on Mignolet has just been to keep his confidence up and he doesn't actually believe he's a legitimate keeper. A mobile CM to play with Henderson and a real wide player that can score are needed ASAP.

Also a decent defender to replace Skrtel (who has long been a disaster for Liverpool, tactically and effectually).

Not necessarily. West Ham have a freaking solid team when everybody is healthy. Liverpool have Coutinho and then a bunch of other guys.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Comparing players West Ham does not have a "freaking solid team" when compared to Liverpool. Teams like United, Liverpool, Chelsea, etc. are casualties of a combination of poor tactics, management and complacency. Not to mention Coutinho isn't even consistently the best player for Liverpool (though certainly the most talented). Henderson is (and also the most underrated, especially if you don't play or understand his worth).

I sure wasn't only talking about under Brendan. His bad.

It's also more than 12, also his bad. Counting Borini who was also bought because of his spell in English leagues, it's 15, and a few of the others have never played a single game in the league for the senior side.

Easy buddy, but you said "the last few years". Unless few has a new meaning of course.

Why would Borini have been brought in because of his spell in English leagues when he had his best (and only full senior) season in Roma? I forgot about Toure which brings it to 13 actually (your bad) but at the end of the day whether it were 12 or 15 (it isn't) the fact remains that there was definitely no English-heavy agenda there. Just like the starting XI was still a big mix of foreign and British players.

Last edited:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I was thinking bigger picture than just a couple seasons, yes.

Why would Borini have been brought in because of his spell in English leagues when he had his best (and only full senior) season in Roma?

Because he played for Rodgers at Swansea. This is just common sense.

The first starting 11 of this season, Liverpool played with only two players who hadn't played in England before coming to Liverpool. They did win that game, but that 11 was similar to many of the others deployed over the years. Sorry, this is just common sense.

Last edited:

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
Comparing players West Ham does not have a "freaking solid team" when compared to Liverpool. Teams like United, Liverpool, Chelsea, etc. are casualties of a combination of poor tactics, management and complacency. Not to mention Coutinho isn't even consistently the best player for Liverpool (though certainly the most talented). Henderson is (and also the most underrated, especially if you don't play or understand his worth).

I at one point had Henderson on my FL team. Some serious love there. But Henderson isn't a guy to rave about, he's solid. When a club adds James Milner and intends to start him, then that club's supporters should know exactly how low that clubs aspirations are. I said it back in the summer, and I'll say it again.

Liverpool's roster is not that good. They are just where about they should be in the table. You **** on West Ham, but their just as solid as Liverpool are.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Henderson is more than just solid, and I'm not going to post the stats again, but he's a top central midfielder.

They aren't, but they're managed differently and have different expectations. It's ok for West Ham to play not to lose...fans, supporters and management expect Liverpool to play to win. It's part of what makes the EPL right now so difficult for 'top teams'...as money is pouring in the mid and lower table teams are putting together better and better squads but still have no expectations and can play as negatively, physically and set up as deep as they want looking to grind out results.

Not that I'm saying it's impossible to break down, or that it should work all the time, Liverpool is definitely flawed. They are losing games they should win and they have a lot of work to do to get back to the top of English football, but they definitely have a better squad than West Ham does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad