Pre-Game Talk: End vs van: It may happen, but not anytime soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
So now we’ll be going into the playoffs gassed and probably without any momentum as we’re forced to play meaningless games back to back to back. League screws the Oilers again, not f***in surprising

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
So now we’ll be going into the playoffs gassed and probably without any momentum as we’re forced to play meaningless games back to back to back. League screws the Oilers again, not f***in surprising

Assuming that at that point playoff positioning might already be determined I would hope that Tippett rests players the last few games and plays guys from the taxi squad instead. If the league didn't want a week of meaningless games to sap the momentum and excitement out of the start of the playoffs they could have made better scheduling decisions.

Reactions: oilers'72

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Cancel their games against us and give us the 10 points. This way the Canucks can rest up and heal properly and none of their family get any side effects from this virus. Health and safety is paramount to any games being played.
Seriously. If they're no longer contagious but don't have enough players fit to play that should result in a forfeiture.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Whatever happens I fully expect the Oilers to get the short end of the stick. Worst part is that basically these last games are meaningless when it comes to playoffs. We already know the 4 teams making the playoffs in the div and I’d bet every dollar I have that when it’s all said and done and they jam in all these games it won’t make a lick of difference in the standings from how they are now, with the possible exception of Flames and Canucks possibly switching places.

If we get to the point at the end of the year where the Oilers have to play several games in a short period heading straight into the playoffs, I’d love to see them forfeit the game citing player safety.

If the Habs lose tomorrow we are basically as close to the Habs as we are to the flames. 10 back of the Habs with 4 games in hand and 4 games against the sens and 4 against the flames. We haven't lost to the Sens yet and will have Petey back and should be fully healthy. We will 6 games in hand on the Flames and if history tells us anything running Marky into the ground never works out well, he isn't mentally or physically strong enough.
The Leafs and Jets have looked very beatable and seem to be struggling with lots of games like Vancouver did earlier.
The Nucks will be rusty but we play the Sens 4 straight and are good enough to beat them while getting their legs back. The Leafs won't have Willy or AM on Saturday and Cambell hasn't looked sharp his last 3 games.
That being said we need to get 6-7 points against you guys which isn't
Impossible so I wouldn't say things are decided, Habs have like 8 games against the Jets and Leafs and 4/against the flames who have played them tough. He'll even the Sens give them trouble the Habs have 14 points against the Nucks and 9 loser points, they are gonna be in tough.
Oilers are a lock, did for the Jets and Leafs that's all we know for certainty.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
If we do end up playing something crazy like 10 games in 15 days or whatever scenario, it's going to be a fail on the coaching staff and management if they aren't calling up players from the AHL, now.

Rotate in as many guys are you can. Get some fresh legs, spread out the ice time to try your best to mitigate any fatigue from this situation.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
[QUOeTE="Del Preston, post: 177351401, member: 190841"]The league can easily move around at least two of the four Ottawa-Vancouver games next week to accommodate teams actually in the playoff race. It would be a surprise if they actually did it, though.

The Thursday/Saturday games can be switched to Friday/Saturday Canucks-Oilers. Delay those Sens-Canucks games until the end of the season and play them if they need to be played.[/QUOTE]
That's not gonna happen, plus. The Nucks need those 4 games against them to get their legs back.
I get the Oilers have been screwed but Vancouver was screwed to start the season and now have 19 games in 27 days with basically the entire team dealing with a much more severe strain, unlike any of the other team's they were actually symptomatic.
I know you guys don't care about the Nucks but no team has been sxrewed harder this season. At least the Oilers had a chance to play their easy part of the schedule but us fans of Vancouver deserve to see our team at least have a chance instead of just being used as fodder and you want to take our only real advantage of facing the worst team when we are not at are best, that's just cruel lol.
You guys were literally raging over the one game on the day of the memorial but now suggest after all this that instead of getting out legs and health back against the Sens it should be against the top teams of the North because your worried about rust for your team even tho your healthy and now get to to face the Jets without having a back to back?

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
By the end of this it will be 11 games in 36 days including two 6 day breaks (one of which was stranded in hotels) and another break of 4 days. One 5 day stretch with a single game in the middle, and a 29 day stretch that only featured 1 home game.

This has been a disaster to allow any kind of flow to get into their games. The fortunate part was a lot of practice time, but with so few games and the games being so congested when they happened doesn't allow them to apply much of the practice learnings.

I do hope and think this could pay off down the stretch once they get back into the routine, but I'm just a bit worried that it's starting to pile up with a few too many games over that final stretch.

The original schedule had 7 games in the final 17 days. Now it's likely going to be 11 games in the final 18 days (exactly half the time it's taking them to play the current 11 game segment). They had also ripped out 9 games in 15 days prior to this stretch.
Good break down. We knew it would be a lot of hockey but jeebus, man. They won’t have anything left in the tank before the playoffs even start at this point. Lol

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
That's not gonna happen, plus. The Nucks need those 4 games against them to get their legs back.
I get the Oilers have been screwed but Vancouver was screwed to start the season and now have 19 games in 27 days with basically the entire team dealing with a much more severe strain, unlike any of the other team's they were actually symptomatic.
I know you guys don't care about the Nucks but no team has been sxrewed harder this season. At least the Oilers had a chance to play their easy part of the schedule but us fans of Vancouver deserve to see our team at least have a chance instead of just being used as fodder and you want to take our only real advantage of facing the worst team when we are not at are best, that's just cruel lol.
You guys were literally raging over the one game on the day of the memorial but now suggest after all this that instead of getting out legs and health back against the Sens it should be against the top teams of the North because your worried about rust for your team even tho your healthy and now get to to face the Jets without having a back to back?
There isn't an unlimited time to finish the season. Games that actually impact the playoff standings absolutely should be prioritized right now so the playoffs can start on or close to the original date.

The Oilers have been 'screwed' more than any other team with the scheduling despite not having a Covid case, so you're not gonna get much sympathy here when the outbreak in Vancouver was caused by one or two idiots on the team not being careful. Having to play hours after attending a teammate's funeral (that they had to miss in-person because of the league) isn't comparable to this. That never should have happened.

Last edited:

North

Jun 25, 2009
Good break down. We knew it would be a lot of hockey but jeebus, man. They won’t have anything left in the tank before the playoffs even start at this point. Lol

This team actually plays better with less time in between games. Of course you’d rather it not be as congested as it looks like it’s going to be.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
If the Habs lose tomorrow we are basically as close to the Habs as we are to the flames. 10 back of the Habs with 4 games in hand and 4 games against the sens and 4 against the flames. We haven't lost to the Sens yet and will have Petey back and should be fully healthy. We will 6 games in hand on the Flames and if history tells us anything running Marky into the ground never works out well, he isn't mentally or physically strong enough.
The Leafs and Jets have looked very beatable and seem to be struggling with lots of games like Vancouver did earlier.
The Nucks will be rusty but we play the Sens 4 straight and are good enough to beat them while getting their legs back. The Leafs won't have Willy or AM on Saturday and Cambell hasn't looked sharp his last 3 games.
Impossible so I wouldn't say things are decided, Habs have like 8 games against the Jets and Leafs and 4/against the flames who have played them tough. He'll even the Sens give them trouble the Habs have 14 points against the Nucks and 9 loser points, they are gonna be in tough.

Good luck with that, The Oilers have a better chance of finishing in the two spot then either the Flames or Canucks making the playoffs, none of those things are happening. The order of finish is going to be Leafs, Jets, Oilers, Habs, Flames, Canucks, Sens.

Flames will do their usual win enough to not make the playoffs but also not get a top 5 pick. Canucks are out of it and they know it, their team is checked out and Miller said as much, when he said the guys in that room aren’t even worried about hockey right now. I’m guessing they’re going to be the punching bag of the division the rest of the way.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
There isn't an unlimited time to finish the season. Games that actually impact the playoff standings absolutely should be prioritized right now so the playoffs can start on or close to the original date.

The Oilers have been 'screwed' more by any other team with the scheduling despite not having a Covid case, so you're not gonna get much sympathy here when the outbreak in Vancouver was caused by one or two idiots on the team not being careful. Having to play hours after attending a teammate's funeral (that they had to miss in-person because of the league) isn't comparable to this. That never should have happened.

They can have the Canucks play the Flames and Sens last and play the teams that are playoff teams at this time. So if their season runs into the playoffs who cares. The Sens, Flames and Canucks can finish the season in the Loser Pool while the rest of the teams moves into the playoffs. Problem is pretty simply solved.

Reactions: oilers'72 and TB12

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

what f***ing board are you on anyways. Vancouver flaunted the COVID rules and have f***ed us in the process and you want to chat about what’s fair in terms of matchups and schedule. f*** right off!

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I think you, me and everyone else can’t wait till this crap is over with and everything is back to normal.

I am so f***ing sick and tired of this shit. I will follow the rules but man I am Covided right out. That’s why the sooner everyone gets their poke and wears their mask the sooner we can get back to friggin normal.

I can’t wait to burn my goddam masks in the fire pit out back and get on an airplane and visit my son and daughter in law in Belgium.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I am so f***ing sick and tired of this shit. I will follow the rules but man I am Covided right out. That’s why the sooner everyone gets their poke and wears their mask the sooner we can get back to friggin normal.

I can’t wait to burn my goddam masks in the fire pit out back and get on an airplane and visit my son and daughter in law in Belgium.
Your future son-in-law is making this post right here.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
This team actually plays better with less time in between games. Of course you’d rather it not be as congested as it looks like it’s going to be.

Getting in the groove and playing often is key to coming together as a team and staying focused. But man, this is probably a whole new animal with how much EDM will be playing coming up. lol.

Reactions: oilers'72 and North
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Event closes