Pre-Game Talk: End vs van: It may happen, but not anytime soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Just put the 5 remaining games against Vancouver at the end of the schedule. It will be a nothing series for both teams since Vancouver will be eliminated by then and Edmonton will have a playoff spot locked up. Home ice advantage will be almost pointless with no fans during the playoffs. Edmonton can just use those 5 games to rest players and prepare for Winnipeg.

Reactions: Mr Positive

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Just put the 5 remaining games against Vancouver at the end of the schedule. It will be a nothing series for both teams since Vancouver will be eliminated by then and Edmonton will have a playoff spot locked up. Home ice advantage will be almost pointless with no fans during the playoffs. Edmonton can just use those 5 games to rest players and prepare for Winnipeg.

My only concern with that is it probably pushes Edmonton's last game to the 16th or 17th , which is why I think they should be pushing the Vancouver Ottawa games to the end of the schedule in case all the playoff teams are set early, they could possibly play a playoff game at the same time as those final Vancouver/Ottawa games unless Vancouver has a miracle and actually goes on a big winning streak.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
We thought we got screwed over last year with the playin being added. This season is starting to look like a 'hold my beer' scenario.

I know in my bones the NHL is going to do something that uniquely f***s the Oilers over to get the season done.

The play in round still pisses me off, had to play it because they were what? 0.01% below the Stars in points %? A dumb play in round that wouldn't have even happened if two of the biggest TV markets (Montreal and Chicago) weren't conveniently in the last possible spots for them to stretch the play in out to. People can say we would have lost in the first round anyways, but maybe if the Oilers played those pointless "seeding" games that the non-play in teams got they could have shaken out some cob webs and got on track prior to the real games. Instead it's one and done.

Honestly f*** them. I'm tired of the league.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
The Oilers are going to have to play like 5 back to backs in a row right before the playoffs aren't they?

Reactions: TheNumber4

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The Oilers are going to have to play like 5 back to backs in a row right before the playoffs aren't they?

We're not dressing our full roster for all those games, NHL can go f*** a duck.

I'm not playing playing any of my top players in back to back make up games against the Habs or Canucks.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
This team tends to play better when they are on a roll rather than actually rested. This team gets rusty quick.
Could actually be beneficial for the boys. Play a bunch of back to backs, sweep Winnipeg in the first round and take a few days off before we play whoever upsets Toronto in game 7

Reactions: TheNumber4

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Unless there is some pressing reason to do so, I'm not dressing our full roster for that Habs back to back they have us playing at the end of the year. Sorry but eat shit NHL.

We can dress Benson, Marody, McLeod, Bouchard, Nygard, etc. etc. etc.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
We're not dressing our full roster for all those games, NHL can go f*** a duck.

I'm not playing playing any of my top players in back to back make up games against the Habs or Canucks.

It would be a fun middle finger to the league if those games meant nothing and the Oil sat McDrai for a national televised game.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It sucks but it's not surprising. It might end up for the best for us because we'll be super fresh vs the Jets on Saturday (although perhaps some rust to shake off), and then definitely good vs the Habs with 1 day off in between. Those are the big games for us, not so much vs the Canucks (although playing them Friday would have likely been an easy 2 points)

And like others have said, cram that Canuck game at the end, and just scratch all the big name players for it.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
There's a way to make it work that isn't too onerous. But the league needs to be willing to shake up everyone's schedule to share the burden instead of just Edmonton and Vancouver. But they won't do that.

SunMonTuesWedThurFriSat
18-24Tor@VANTor@VAN
'Mtl@Edm
Ott@Cgy
Edm@Van
Mtl@Cgy
Tor@Wpg
Ott@wpgEdm@Van
Mtl@Cgy
Mtl@Cgy
Tor@Ott
25-1Van@WpgVan @WPG
Mtl@Edm
Van @ Tor
'Mtl@Ott
Cgy@Edm
Wpg@OttVan@Tor
Wpg@MTL
Cgy@Edm
Ott@Mtl
2-8Van @ Edm
Wpg@Cal
Van @ Edm
Tor@MTl
Tor@MTl
Ott@Cal
Van @ EdmMtl@TorVan@Cgy
Edm@Wpg
Van@Cgy
Mtl@Tor
Edm@Wpg
9-15Cgy @ Van
Edm @ Mtl
Tor@Wpg
Cgy@Van
Edm@ Mtl
Tor@wpg
Ott@VanOtt@Van
16-22Van@OttVan@Ott
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
This is what I'm talking about that could fit it all in. All the playoff teams are done by the 12th. The biggest issue with it all though is the Ottawa would have a huge break before that last four game segment.

Last edited:
Reactions: oilers'72

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
There's a way to make it work that isn't too onerous. But the league needs to be willing to shake up everyone's schedule to share the burden instead of just Edmonton and Vancouver. But they won't do that.
You got a point. Every single game for every North Division Team could be reworked in the scheduled starting tomorrow and it wouldn't be a problem. People would have to reprogram their DVR.

I'm beginning to the the NHL brain trust is out to lunch.

Reactions: Tom Brady
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad