Pre-Game Talk: End vs van: It may happen, but not anytime soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

xoczar99ox

Oct 8, 2019
The only thing that I know for sure about what’s going on with hockey right now is that the Avalanche beat so and so, and the Oilers game has been postponed due to no fault of there own...

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I feel for the Vancouver players. They didn't get COVID for any fault of their own, as it was apparently Gaudettes idiot girlfriend who caused the whole thing. Some of them probably went through the ringer with being sick and they might not be up to speed yet. But that is how the cookie crumbles this year unfortunately. The Oilers have been screwed over in scheduling pretty badly this year because of the Montreal and Vancouver issues.

McJeety McJeet

Nov 5, 2011
Edmonton
If they want to forfeit and award the points to the Oilers they should be allowed. The Oilers have been f***ed around enough, through no fault of their own. Because of these changes the NHL basically scheduled two losses for the Oilers due to Covid outbreaks on other teams, one against Montreal and whatever it is we watched last weekend. Now they want to take away a scheduled win? Enough, play or forfeit.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
At this point, I think the most logical solution that reduces the impact on the playoff schedule is to throw out the entire schedule 7 days out from now. Schedule all of the games that include two of Calgary, Vancouver and Ottawa to occur after May 9th (there are ten such games though there are a few of such games would be played before the 7 days are up).

This means all the playoff teams get their games in vs. them on time vs. the original schedule. If by chance either Calgary or Vancouver fluke themselves back into a playoff spot as a result, then fine you wait to start the playoffs, but if they are all mathematically eliminated by that time (which is the most likely scenario) you're not delaying the start of the playoffs.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Nucks need to be removed from play for this year. Enough of this. Take all the team points away from all games from all teams as if the nucks weren't in the division. The standings may change slightly, but the same top 4 will still be there. Keep individual points since those were still earned fairly. Run a 6 team North division going forward, top 4 still make it.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Cancel the games, give their opponents a point and call it a day on their season.

Anything that automatically gives points isn't fair to the spirit of competition for the other teams. 1 point. You could argue that's a disservice to Edmonton because they are averaging about 1.2 points per game. Give them a win, that's unfair to the teams they are competing with. If it was one game, it wouldn't be a huge issue, but with Edmonton having 5 games left against Vancouver whereas Montreal has zero, that's a significant swing either way.

If the games don't get played, it's got to be based on percentages.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Nucks need to be removed from play for this year. Enough of this. Take all the team points away from all games from all teams as if the nucks weren't in the division. The standings may change slightly, but the same top 4 will still be there. Keep individual points since those were still earned fairly. Run a 6 team North division going forward, top 4 still make it.

That may be the most fair solution. Though they'd never do that since the Habs earned 15 of 18 points in their 9 games.

The revised standings would actually put Calgary in the playoffs right now and Ottawa 3 points back of Calgary. Though Montreal would still have tons of games to make up while everyone else schedule would lighten up significantly.

GPWLOTLPts
Toronto Maple Leafs38259454
Winnipeg Jets362112345
Edmonton Oilers372213246
Montreal Canadiens311213630
Calgary Flames371519333
Ottawa Senators391423230
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Anything that automatically gives points isn't fair to the spirit of competition for the other teams. 1 point. You could argue that's a disservice to Edmonton because they are averaging about 1.2 points per game. Give them a win, that's unfair to the teams they are competing with. If it was one game, it wouldn't be a huge issue, but with Edmonton having 5 games left against Vancouver whereas Montreal has zero, that's a significant swing either way.

That's perfect, cancel their games and do that.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Yes, but Edmontons schedule has also been torn into shreds on the basis of having 3 Nucks games ppd which throws a wrench in a teams preparation, what to expect, etc and that also ends up with the team subbing in on Colby Cave memorial day when the players were clearly not ready to play. We've been screwed around with this, so I see nothing wrong with us just getting the default pts. I don't think our pts should be win % averaged either as the Nucks are 2nd weakest club in the division and if games were played we probably win 4 to 5 of these.

Reactions: oilers'72

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Yes, but Edmontons schedule has also been torn into shreds on the basis of having 3 Nucks games ppd which throws a wrench in a teams preparation, what to expect, etc and that also ends up with the team subbing in on Colby Cave memorial day when the players were clearly not ready to play. We've been screwed around with this, so I see nothing wrong with us just getting the default pts. I don't think our pts should be win % averaged either as the Nucks are 2nd weakest club in the division and if games were played we probably win 4 to 5 of these.

I won't dispute that Edmonton's been jobbed the most as a result. I just don't think it's ever fair to give points based off what you think would happen (even though pct does that somewhat as well). Reality is the NHL is damned if they do, damned if they don't. Based off last years situation, and the rescheduling strategies employed by the league, I'm pretty confident the scenario that most negatively impacts Edmonton will be the one they go with though.

So watch them go with giving single points to the team Vancouver would have played with Vancouver eventually returning to play next week where they basically play five games vs. non-playoff teams. So Toronto only gets 2 instead of the likely 4, Edmonton 1 of the likely 2, then Calgary gets to eat them up to get back in the playoff hunt vs. Montreal (which I actually don't necessarily mind as it will push Calgary to win those games vs Montreal and keep them behind us).

Thinking more on this, that would probably be reasonable especially since Edmonton has the tenth game vs. Vancouver that other teams didn't and will get them 4 more times still in their tailspin to the finish line that's likely to follow this. So it's not overly impactful to the final standings overall.

I don't think Vancouver players have an issue returning to play next week, the issue is that after almost a month off where many of them were really sick, one day isn't enough to get them into game shape to play a back to back followed by another 17 games in the 28 days to follow. By Monday or Tuesday next week, it's not an unreasonable ask to get them to play.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So judging from the team comments yesterday looks like Nuge is on concussion protocol. He's going for daily skates and being assessed by doctors. Looks like he got a concussion or burner. Not his first one. Players are more susceptible to concussion the more they have had them. Wonder if this also needs to be considered in evaluating what his worth is in next contract. My own thinking is this is a half in player that is already somewhat disengaged and trying to play safe out there. Not sure whats gained in paying big money for that. Probably time to move on. Nuge wasn't value in the present contract and sure won't be in the next one. Recurring concussions add to a level of concern with this player, who already avoids contact.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Isn't that the NHL's position already? I thought this was already established, but maybe it was just rumored and hadn't been "officially" stated by the league yet.
I mean if it was, just do that, don't do this. Stop ***king around the Oilers and other such stupidity and just cancel these games.

They talked about it, but clearly don't have the wherewithal to actually do it for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00