Post-Game Talk: End of the Season Press Conference + Exit Interviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You're deliberately disregarding that many players' salaries are suppressed by restricted free agency. Among ufas, his contract is about as expected for his role and history. If not, why is it lower than virtually everyone assumed it would be?

People assumed he would be overpaid based on his size/pedigree. And were correct.

There are virtually zero players of his ilk making what he does for the role he plays and who were signed to play that role (Boychuk in NYI is one example). There are a couple others (Seabrook, Vlasic types) who are now similar-level players but are getting paid what they are because they were legit first-pairing studs at the time they were signed.

Ben Chiarot was better than Myers in Winnipeg in 18-19 and better than Myers in 19-20 with Montreal and signed for $3.5 million/3 tears. Myers got triple the total value based on reputation.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
You're deliberately disregarding that many players' salaries are suppressed by restricted free agency. Among ufas, his contract is about as expected for his role and history. If not, why is it lower than virtually everyone assumed it would be?
I'm not deliberately disregarding anything.

The UFA market continues to be a place where big game hunting guys with name recognition that previously played on well-covered teams get given contracts that they can never perform at the level of. I don't like justifying shitty deals on the basis of "well all UFA contracts suck!" Like.. ok then don't sign the big money ones???

There's two common sense assumptions for the reported $8-9m we saw.

1. Media plant by the Canucks organization so the $6m wouldn't be seen as poorly. Psychologically, this is a very smart move.

2. Media plant by the agent to up bidding from other teams to see if he can squeeze some other big offer out of nowhere.

I can't envision any other reason as to why he signs for 66%-75% of the reported salary other than the media being used. Just unsure as to which side it was by.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
People assumed he would be overpaid based on his size/pedigree. And were correct.

There are virtually zero players of his ilk making what he does for the role he plays and who were signed to play that role (Boychuk in NYI is one example). There are a couple others (Seabrook, Vlasic types) who are now similar-level players but are getting paid what they are because they were legit first-pairing studs at the time they were signed.

Ben Chiarot was better than Myers in Winnipeg in 18-19 and better than Myers in 19-20 with Montreal and signed for $3.5 million/3 tears. Myers got triple the total value based on reputation.

Ben Hutton, signed to a 1 year, $1.5M deal by LA, had a better season than Myers did for us.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm not deliberately disregarding anything.

The UFA market continues to be a place where big game hunting guys with name recognition that previously played on well-covered teams get given contracts that they can never perform at the level of. I don't like justifying shitty deals on the basis of "well all UFA contracts suck!" Like.. ok then don't sign the big money ones???

There's two common sense assumptions for the reported $8-9m we saw.

1. Media plant by the Canucks organization so the $6m wouldn't be seen as poorly. Psychologically, this is a very smart move.

2. Media plant by the agent to up bidding from other teams to see if he can squeeze some other big offer out of nowhere.

I can't envision any other reason as to why he signs for 66%-75% of the reported salary other than the media being used. Just unsure as to which side it was by.

There was a major market correction last summer as most GMs *finally* figured out that these stupid 5-6 year deals for 30-something 'decent' players almost always end up being albatrosses.

Gus Nyquist - a 30 y/o Swedish forward coming off a 60-point season - got $22 million in UFA in 2019. Loui Eriksson as basically the same player in exactly the same situation got $36 million in 2016 with a substantially smaller cap. That's a *huge* difference and those of us expecting a $7 million+ Myers payday weren't budgeting that correction into the equation.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Ben Hutton, signed to a 1 year, $1.5M deal by LA, had a better season than Myers did for us.

I'd say 'similar season' but yeah.

Myers was a bit better than I expected in the regular season. He skated better than I remember him at the end of 18-19 and held up a bit better defensively than I expected in the minutes he was playing. Still heavily overpaid, but I thought he was a serviceable #4. But in the playoffs? Man, he was awful. I'm astonished that people are complimenting his performance.

member 328930

Remember when Dave Nonis scrambled to have his end of the year presser to announce his grand plan for the next season...trying to get it done before they could fire him?

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Once again, the Myers decision was binary. Someone was going to pay north of $5M. $6M might be a little higher than market but not by much. The decision was made to get a UFA RD that could play in the top 4. Once they committed to this decision, the price was locked in. If you don't believe he was worth that, the right decision would have been to walk away. It wasn't an option to sign him for less, or much less.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
The top4 designation is fair. He was the 4th best Dman for the team, IMO. Not terrible, not great, but middling overall. A mid-pairing defender.

Worse than Gudbranson? No way. That's not what the stats show and it's not what his play warrants. If that's what you were referencing, then my mistake. When I see "strong" used to describe a defender, I think top3 or better. In that sense, I would not consider Myers a strong defender. Top4 though? Yes.

I think he's overpaid, but that's a discussion outside his play.

I think we're on the same page here. I see him as Top 4, too.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
It certainly is for Green. The team has to take the next step and finish at a 100-point pace. If they don't you can expect Green will be on the hot seat.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Remember when Dave Nonis scrambled to have his end of the year presser to announce his grand plan for the next season...trying to get it done before they could fire him?
Dave Nonis was not an Aquilini hire..He was left over from the previous administration...He was always on a short leash.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Once again, the Myers decision was binary. Someone was going to pay north of $5M. $6M might be a little higher than market but not by much. The decision was made to get a UFA RD that could play in the top 4. Once they committed to this decision, the price was locked in. If you don't believe he was worth that, the right decision would have been to walk away. It wasn't an option to sign him for less, or much less.

I don’t think anyone said he would, that doesn’t mean he isn’t overpaid, and I think most would have been happy to walk away.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
It certainly is for Green. The team has to take the next step and finish at a 100-point pace. If they don't you can expect Green will be on the hot seat.

100 point pace?

So you think they are Tampa Bay Level expectations? good luck with that.

Reactions: geebaan

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Will the presser be streamed? I'm assuming it'll just be Zoom calls?

Edit:

Lol Benning always amazes me at how inarticulate he is

Second edit: Okay i'll give Benning some credit he seems to have improved in speaking

Last edited:

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Was very happy with Myers when he came back from shoulder injury.

He didnt seem anywhere near 100% in teh Vegas series but i thought his size and reach was able to minimize Tuch's play. Tuch dominated us the first 3 games but did nothing once Myers came back and was clearly asked to match up vs Tuch.

He is not a top pairing Dman but definitely top 4 dman and ill take him over Stecher any day.

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
What the f*** do these clowns have against YouTube or Sportsnet? I can’t watch this on my Apple TV. Shitty picture. Can’t scrub back to the beginning.

member 328930

Dave Nonis was not an Aquilini hire..He was left over from the previous administration...He was always on a short leash.

i just thought that was funny. He knew he was done and I think thought if he could broadcast a plan for the following year somehow that would prevent what he thought people would see as an about face...where he would be fired.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Benning is gonna shut all the haters up when he dumps $15m+ of dead cap this off season and supplements our core with some creative moves to help add to our roster while not giving up grade A assets.

That's for sure.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Sounds like he wants to move some young guys (non core)

Id guess were going to move at leas 1 of Virtanen, Stecher, Gaudette

Reactions: mossey3535
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad