Post-Game Talk: End of the Season Press Conference + Exit Interviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
When you play the way the Canucks do, you get injured! We seen it with the 2011 team as well. Canucks have zero forecheck, teams playing the Canucks don’t have to worry about getting worn down as we don’t play very physical, which keeps them healthy but injuries happen to us. Canucks need to redo the bottom 6 with guys who can actually forecheck!
Virtanen could have been that guy.

There were regular season games the season before where other teams' D would just cough up the puck when Jake was playing that style. They would even cough it up when he wasn't on the ice.

Reactions: supercanuck

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
So no end of season media availability? Judging by Instagram most players have gone home.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
In order to be injured, you have to first be engaged in plays. Sutter doesn’t engage in any sort of physical contact.

Wasn't there a Canuck defenceman who was injured by tripping while walking and hitting a crack? Or a Pancake indecent?

Am I just hallucinating again?

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
I 'm guessing the priorities for the players, especially after a tough loss and being in a covid bubble for several weeks, is to see their families/partners. If they choose to, they can schedule an "end of season" presser at any time.

Kudos to Travis Green for doing the tough after game interview with the press, in contrast to the cowardly unprofessional Torts.

Tony Stacks

Jan 30, 2012
Seattle
Wasn't there a Canuck defenceman who was injured by tripping while walking and hitting a crack? Or a Pancake indecent?

Am I just hallucinating again?
That was fat Dustin Penner but I wouldn't be surprised if both of those things happened to Sami Salo

Last edited:
Reactions: racerjoe

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I really don’t see this. His first game back from the shoulder injury was rough, but I thought other than that he had a strong playoff (to ride the back of a strong season). The heaps of criticism he receives here are unwarranted, IMO.

But anyway - I agree he was probably still playing through some discomfort at the end.

On the strong season: Myers had his lowest PPG total since 2012-13, and was very mistake prone even when healthy. Dzone play was highly inconsistent. His HDCA/60 was worse than Stecher (0.04 vs -0.46). That gives you a glimpse, and obviously assignments play a role, but there's an argument as to who was the 4th best Dman on the team.

On the strong playoffs: When you say "strong playoff", strong relative to what? 0 points in 10 games. Still leads the playoffs in Net PIMs taken (9). Mixed reports in the GDTs... Was he better than Tanev, Hughes, Edler? What would constitute a middling or weak performance?

Heaps of criticism is hard to quantify and then discuss legitimately. Criticism though? Absolutely deserved.

On the praise side, he was the second best defenseman for generating offense (underlying metrics). It’s just odd/unfortunate that it didn’t translate to actual points. (short sample)

Last edited:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
On the strong season: Myers had his lowest PPG total since 2012-13, and was very mistake prone even when healthy. Dzone play was highly inconsistent. His HDCA/60 was worse than Stecher (0.04 vs -0.46). That gives you a glimpse, and obviously assignments play a role, but there's an argument as to who was the 4th best Dman on the team.

On the strong playoffs: When you say "strong playoff", strong relative to what? 0 points in 10 games. Still leads the playoffs in Net PIMs taken (9). Mixed reports in the GDTs... Was he better than Tanev, Hughes, Edler? What would constitute a middling or weak performance?

Heaps of criticism is hard to quantify and then discuss legitimately. Criticism though? Absolutely deserved.

On the praise side, he was the second best defenseman for generating offense (underlying metrics). It’s just odd/unfortunate that it didn’t translate to actual points. (short sample)

Offensively he was nothing to write home about, but I thought he was 3rd or 4th amongst our defenders on the defensive side of things. I’m not an advanced stats expert by any means, but his advanced stats seemed solid and to my untrained eye, he defended his zone and helped break out well enough, in both the regular season and the playoffs. He was subject to a lot of radical statements and hyperbole from the moment he was signed (not by you, but there were several who instantly declared him to be worse than Gudbranson, the worst defender on the team, a glorified 7th d man, etc).

I felt he had a capable top four season. Is he still somewhat overpaid? I think that’s fair to say - but that’s also kind of par for the course with free agency. And I also think there’s a legitimately valid concern about the term he was given (again, as there is with any free agent). But I thought he did his job pretty well this year. Again, that’s all IMO.

Reactions: krutovsdonut

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Offensively he was nothing to write home about, but I thought he was 3rd or 4th amongst our defenders on the defensive side of things. I’m not an advanced stats expert by any means, but his advanced stats seemed solid and to my untrained eye, he defended his zone and helped break out well enough, in both the regular season and the playoffs. He was subject to a lot of radical statements and hyperbole from the moment he was signed (not by you, but there were several who instantly declared him to be worse than Gudbranson, the worst defender on the team, a glorified 7th d man, etc).

I felt he had a capable top four season. Is he still somewhat overpaid? I think that’s fair to say - but that’s also kind of par for the course with free agency. And I also think there’s a legitimately valid concern about the term he was given (again, as there is with any free agent). But I thought he did his job pretty well this year. Again, that’s all IMO.
I don't think Myers could be been had for any less, and it was significantly less than anyone here predicted. He's a 2nd pairing defender who signed for roughly 2nd pairing salary and term.

Reactions: deckercky

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I don't think Myers could be been had for any less, and it was significantly less than anyone here predicted. He's a 2nd pairing defender who signed for roughly 2nd pairing salary and term.
Myers has never proven himself to be an everyday top-four d-man. The Jets and Sabres tried, but he's consistently flopped in that role. He's basically a #5 who can fill in, in the top four when you need an injury replacement. Green seemed to understand this. For most of the playoffs he was paired with Fantenberg as basically the third pairing, with second unit pp time.

And if the Canucks ever get around to actually 'improving their blueline' then Myers falls further down the depth chart. In time, he'll be viewed as another of Benning's truly awful July 1st signings.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

The top4 designation is fair. He was the 4th best Dman for the team, IMO. Not terrible, not great, but middling overall. A mid-pairing defender.

Worse than Gudbranson? No way. That's not what the stats show and it's not what his play warrants. If that's what you were referencing, then my mistake. When I see "strong" used to describe a defender, I think top3 or better. In that sense, I would not consider Myers a strong defender. Top4 though? Yes.

I think he's overpaid, but that's a discussion outside of his play.

Last edited:

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Doing the end of season press conference through Zoom is a necessary evil given the world we're currently living in, but man is it ever easy for coaches/players/gm's to dodge questions and give non answers etc.

Also, everybody drinks if Jim Benning brings up injuries.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Doing the end of season press conference through Zoom is a necessary evil given the world we're currently living in, but man is it ever easy for coaches/players/gm's to dodge questions and give non answers etc.

Also, everybody drinks if Jim Benning brings up injuries.

Tbh I’m really curious about the injuries all around cause you could they were some. Especially with Hughes and that rumour of him getting treatment three times a day during the Vegas series.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Technically speaking, he's paid like one of the top 30 defensemen in the league and can you say he was clearly better than any of Stecher Tanev Edler Hughes? I can't.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Tbh I’m really curious about the injuries all around cause you could they were some. Especially with Hughes and that rumour of him getting treatment three times a day during the Vegas series.

Yeah actually I take back my comment about Jim mentioning injuries. It's not nearly the same as in the past. I'm definitely interested in what some of the guys were dealing with.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Technically speaking, he's paid like one of the top 30 defensemen in the league and can you say he was clearly better than any of Stecher Tanev Edler Hughes? I can't.

Clearly better, no, but I think a pretty good case could be made that he was better than Stecher (for the most part). Offensively, Stecher didn't come close, and defensively, the disparity was not strong enough in Stecher's favour to even the equation. Therefore, Myers was better overall.

The other three? No, they were better.

Reactions: ugghhh

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Clearly better, no, but I think a pretty good case could be made that he was better than Stecher (for the most part). Offensively, Stecher didn't come close, and defensively, the disparity was not strong enough in Stecher's favour to even the equation. Therefore, Myers was better overall.

The other three? No, they were better.
I disagree based on my eye test and available advanced metrics (although it's clear that Stecher was getting super lucky over the short playoff sample size)
Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

Regardless, if I'm paying a guy $6m, I need him to be a surefire top four guy who's clearly an upgrade. It's not as if Myers was getting the other teams top six and Stecher was eating up against bad competition either.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I disagree based on my eye test and available advanced metrics (although it's clear that Stecher was getting super lucky over the short playoff sample size)
Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

Regardless, if I'm paying a guy $6m, I need him to be a surefire top four guy who's clearly an upgrade. It's not as if Myers was getting the other teams top six and Stecher was eating up against bad competition either.
There's actually not that big of a difference between Stecher and Myers if you ignore PP numbers and look at their ES production. Though I rate Stecher higher defensively so I actually give him a slight edge, or a tie at worst for a lot less in salary which is damning enough.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
You're deliberately disregarding that many players' salaries are suppressed by restricted free agency. Among ufas, his contract is about as expected for his role and history. If not, why is it lower than virtually everyone assumed it would be?

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Kevin Weekes was mugged somewhere around UBC. That's why he was late for practice.

I'm waiting for them to announce what kind of foot injury Boeser had.

We at least know that EP had protection by the officials after game 1 with the Wild from the complaints from the Vegas bench. I hope he can't be run with impunity going into December.

Reactions: mossey3535
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad