Recalled/Assigned: Emmerton & Mrazek to GR | Glendening Recalled (Post 13)

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Re-arranging the seats on the Titanic

Haha. I love when apt references are rolled out.

This is kind of why I don't give two ***** about whether Nyquist and Tatar are on the team anymore. That's not even half the battle. They have to also be given confidence from their coach AND ice time before their presence on the roster is even relevant. And I no longer see that happening with Babs. The more he flounders as coach of this team, the tighter his grip becomes on icing once-cagey veterans and green grinders.

Here's to Glendening getting more of a chance to become a regular than Tatar ever will. Cheers, fellow wings fans.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Again -- you frame this in a very immature way.

I credit Abby for being what he is. A 4th line grinder.

Has he shown more than that? No. He hasn;t. By any reasonable standard, no he hasn't.

My problem isn't with Abdelkader.

It's that we put Abby in a position that makes the team worse.

My problem is that coach continually puts players into roles they are not qualified for.

2 points, +3, and 20 hits in the four games to start the year. 4 points, +6 over the last ten games last season. The guy has shown progress in the role, whether you have him pegged as a fourth line grinder or not.

RedWingsNow*

Haha. I love when apt references are rolled out.

This is kind of why I don't give two ***** about whether Nyquist and Tatar are on the team anymore. That's not even half the battle. They have to also be given confidence from their coach AND ice time before their presence on the roster is even relevant. And I no longer see that happening with Babs. The more he flounders as coach of this team, the tighter his grip becomes on icing once-cagey veterans and green grinders.

Here's to Glendening getting more of a chance to become a regular than Tatar ever will. Cheers, fellow wings fans.

Truth.

RedWingsNow*

2 points, +3, and 20 hits in the four games to start the year. 4 points, +6 over the last ten games last season. The guy has shown progress in the role, whether you have him pegged as a fourth line grinder or not.

Oh please. 14 games is your proof?

What did Abdelkader do to deserve it? Why don't you answer that question?

RedWingsNow*

6 points in 14 games... beside Datsyuk and Zetterberg ---
This is called progress.

This is the state of the Detroit Red Wings.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Oh please. 14 games is your proof?

What did Abdelkader do to deserve it? Why don't you answer that question?

For him improving as he's been in that spot for all of, what, 40 games? Maybe 35? Yeah.

And now you're concerned with how he deserved the opportunity and not what he's done with it?

RedWingsNow*

For him improving as he's been in that spot for all of, what, 40 games? Maybe 35? Yeah.

And now you're concerned with how he deserved the opportunity and not what he's done with it?

I've been concerned about why Abdelkader was put there since the day it happened, Winger.
It was a stupid decision then and a stupid decision now.
Adding Zetterberg to the line MASKS the stupidity of it. But it comes at the cost of our depth -- which is exacerbated because our moronic coach is making the same kinds of idiotic decisions up and down the lineup.

By the way -- Abdelkader may have scored more last year- But he still wound up with a point every 4 games.
Which is what he put up the previous year. Which is what he put up in the playoffs.
Which is what he put up the year before last year.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Gator went from looking like a complete dumpster fire, to a dumpster fire that was recently put out, but is still smoldering.

He has had a few moments during the first four games this year, but the problems i see with his game are still there and they will never go away, no matter how many games he plays. You either got it or you don't got it. You can't teach a 4th line grinder to be a 1st line winger.

Slow reaction times
Unable to read the play properly or quickly enough
Bad shot

Those skills he lacks, are the reason why Gator is a 4th line grinder.

RedWingsNow*

You know who I really liked more than most Red Wings fans? Kirk Maltby.
And he was never more than a 3-4th line guy. And honestly, Maltby had more skill and awarness than Abdelkader.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
The versatility/range you show in your jokes and pop culture references gets better by the week.:laugh:

I am just a man with a lot of free time thanks to a job that has way too much down time. The real credit should go to Mike Babcock and Ken Holland. They are the ones who put me in the position to make my pop culture references possible.

Ohh and Netflix.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Slow reaction times
Unable to read the play properly or quickly enough
Bad shot

Those skills he lacks, are the reason why Gator is a 4th line grinder.

:laugh: Caught parts of the game last night and saw a gem of sequence from Abby.

Got a nice set-up pass on the break and wrists one wide by several feet, with Ken Daniels channeling his inner-Bob Uecker with a "shot that JUST misses the net" type of call.

He then ends up with the puck near the left boards and does a spin-around slap shot (admittedly not an easy shot to put on net), and it was closer to the far face-off dot than the goal.

Might not be the ideal choice for burying the set-ups from Z & D. Hope he's headed down the lineup and not coming back up again, with one of the kids taking his spot for the long term (granted, only after Bert, Cleary and Sammy all go on IR).

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Can't say I'm shocked by any of these roster moves, lineup changes and the lack of Nyquist and Tatar being inserted into the lineup. Glad Tootoo is back in and lets see what Glendening offers. A lot of my opinions/thoughts have been already repeated over and over by others.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
You know who I really liked more than most Red Wings fans? Kirk Maltby.
And he was never more than a 3-4th line guy. And honestly, Maltby had more skill and awarness than Abdelkader.

I liked Kirk Maltby way more than the other 2 (Draper, McCarty). Solid, knew his role player. Never worried about that guy.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
This feels a lot like a half-measure to me. The whole measure would be to bring up Nyquist and part with Cleary, and that's the reality the Wings will have to face sooner or later. Even if they don't end up needing more offensive creativity, it's still the sensible move to have as much good talent on the ice as possible.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
This feels a lot like a half-measure to me. The whole measure would be to bring up Nyquist and part with Cleary, and that's the reality the Wings will have to face sooner or later. They missed that bus the first time around when they resigned Cleary without cap room, and now it's set to run them over.

Honestly, it's not even a half-measure. It's like what was said earlier, re-arranging seats on the Titanic. As much as I would love somehow getting #71 off the roster. It's not going to happen. At the least, #71 is here for the rest of the season and possibly longer. A true half-measure would be waiving/trading Sammy and Lashoff then bringing up Nyquist and XO/Almquist.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Honestly, it's not even a half-measure. It's like what was said earlier, re-arranging seats on the Titanic. As much as I would love somehow getting #71 off the roster. It's not going to happen. At the least, #71 is here for the rest of the season and possibly longer. A true half-measure would be waiving/trading Sammy and Lashoff then bringing up Nyquist and XO/Almquist.

Yeah. You are right, actually.

I think the Cleary resigning is potentially one of the worst moves in recent NHL history. I say "potentially" because it's only been a few games, it hasn't affected the Wings too badly at this point. But it will: 15-20 games from now, if they haven't rectified the situation, it will be different. Right now, the Wings have the power to change the situation and right the wrong. I just hope the front office is willing to accept that a mistake was made and fix it.

If not, I guess I'll watch a few more Pistons games than usual instead of watching Wings games this year.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
it would be kind of good if cleary really, really, really sucks, big, big, big time so wings won't re-sign him in january.

right?

right?

He can do that for 48 games, but as long as he gets lucky 2nd assists and goals in garbage time over 10 games, they will completely disregard him looking like crap for 95% of a season.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I wish we could see this line-up

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Abs/Bert
Franzen-Weiss-nyquist
Tatar- Andersson-Alfie
Miller- Glendening-Cleary

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
He can do that for 48 games, but as long as he gets lucky 2nd assists and goals in garbage time over 10 games, they will completely disregard him looking like crap for 95% of a season.

We've seen that movie before... he sucked pretty much all of last season, had a decent effort in an abbreviated PO run, and Holland ended up bidding against himself despite having an already full roster of forwards in bringing DFC back.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
MOD

I credit Abby for being what he is. A 4th line grinder.

Has he shown more than that? No. He hasn;t. By any reasonable standard, no he hasn't.

My problem isn't with Abdelkader.

It's that we put Abby in a position that makes the team worse.

My problem is that coach continually puts players into roles they are not qualified for.

I disagree quite often with RWN.

This is a case where I am in agreement with him.

Abdelkader has looked "good" on the top line.
Good for abdelkader that is. I mean he is doing the best possible job he is capable of.
He is working hard. His situational awareness is improving. He is driving the net and creating chances the way Babcock wants him to.
I agree with Winger98 that he has looked "Good" up there.

But But But....

Nyquist would look better. Tatar would look better up there. Are we really afraid that we wont have someone dishing out hits on the top line? Maybe a player that could actually ALSO set up up D and Z.... who would likely BURY their chances???

If we HAVE to use a BIG player... the best hands on the team are Bert for someone that size.

My Ideal lineup includes a rookie on the top line, or at least BOTH rookies on the 3rd line getting sheltered minutes.

I root for us to win, and at the same time for all the stats to ELUDE cleary and sammy. Or god forbid management will have a WEAK statistical case for keeping them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad