Recalled/Assigned: Emmerton & Mrazek to GR | Glendening Recalled (Post 13)

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
There's like 10 problems bigger than Abby right now. I will acquiesce to having him in the top6 if our other problems get fixed.

That's me compromising with Babcock. But he gets his way 100% so nothing will get fixed.

RedWingsNow*

Unless you came in with the belief he shouldn't be there to begin with, I don't know how you can say he failed in his job thus, he has been fine. Datysuk and Zetterberg were a train wreck as far as their lofty standards last night, at least Abdelkader forced a terrific sliding block out of Hanzal (on a puck Datsyuk should have shot to begin with) and a pretty exceptional lateral save on his two best scoring chances. When Gator put in Z alone, he clanked it off the post and when he got it to Datsyuk with a glorious chance in the slot, Datsyuk some how slid it out the other side, it goes both ways those guys didn't finish his chances created either. But he is the easiest guy to pick on.

Abdelkader's passing is something I didn't really expect to look as good as it has, his puck control is better this year, he came in ready grab a hold of that role. He isn't ideal up there but he isn't failing right now at it, he is doing his part with a couple points near the league lead in hits, board battles, getting the puck to the playmakers and anchoring in front, and being a part of their scoring chances.

Yeah -- you keep on defending Abdelkader on line 1.
Here's a guy who absolutely sucked when ever he was moved off line 4.

Yet you're calling him the best player on a line with Z and D.

That's just off the wall.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
Unless you came in with the belief he shouldn't be there to begin with, I don't know how you can say he failed in his job thus, he has been fine. Datysuk and Zetterberg were a train wreck as far as their lofty standards last night, at least Abdelkader forced a terrific sliding block out of Hanzal (on a puck Datsyuk should have shot to begin with) and a pretty exceptional lateral save on his two best scoring chances. When Gator put in Z alone, he clanked it off the post and when he got it to Datsyuk with a glorious chance in the slot, Datsyuk some how slid it out the other side, it goes both ways those guys didn't finish his chances created either. But he is the easiest guy to pick on.

Abdelkader's passing is something I didn't really expect to look as good as it has, his puck control is better this year, he came in ready grab a hold of that role. He isn't ideal up there but he isn't failing right now at it, he is doing his part with a couple points near the league lead in hits, board battles, getting the puck to the playmakers and anchoring in front, and being a part of their scoring chances.

I lean towards this,I dont think he has a high enough hockey IQ for the top line, he doesnt have the offensive instinct for it and I dont think his grit and in close skills are good enough to offset it. But like you and soup said he isnt doing horrible so far this year. Last years Chicago series left a bad taste in my mouth. 0+0 in 7 games isnt top line material

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Agreed. Of the games I've seen so far I've been happy with Abby's play. Ask me again at game 40 and it might be a different story but for now I think he's really starting to get it.

Yeah, not sure what more Abdelkader should be realistically expected to do at this point in the season.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yeah -- you keep on defending Abdelkader on line 1.
Here's a guy who absolutely sucked when ever he was moved off line 4.

Yet you're calling him the best player on a line with Z and D.

That's just off the wall.

I said he was last night in my opinion, he wasn't real bad against Boston either all in all he has played four solid games up there.

That also has to do with the standard of play we expect, Z and D were dreadful last night.

Abdelkader isn't a big problem to be fixed right now on this team, he is holding up his end of the bargain.

Macoun

Feb 8, 2009
I actually like that fourth line. At least it brings some energy. The third line is an extremely easy fix but it's Holland and Babcock so in reality it's not. Nyquist-Andersson-Tatar is a great third line and exciting to watch. It would actually give me a reason to turn the game on.

probertrules24

Jul 10, 2007
Canada
I said he was last night in my opinion, he wasn't real bad against Boston either all in all he has played four solid games up there.

That also has to do with the standard of play we expect, Z and D were dreadful last night.

Abdelkader isn't a big problem to be fixed right now on this team, he is holding up his end of the bargain.

I agree with everything your saying. I think Abdelkader has started this season the way everybody should of been wishing for unless you came into the season already with your mind made up that you hate him in the top 6.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
There's like 10 problems bigger than Abby right now. I will acquiesce to having him in the top6 if our other problems get fixed.

That's me compromising with Babcock. But he gets his way 100% so nothing will get fixed.

I don't know...he's 6'1'' 220lbs...we don't have many forwards bigger than him. Then again, the ones we do have, seem to be a fair bit of our problems lately. :D

RedWingsNow*

There is no bargain.

You act like Abdelkader EARNED his spot on line 1.

If all you expect Abdelkader to do his hit people and you think that's good enough for line 1 -- then you're problem isn't your assessment of Abdelkader, your problem is your assessment what the this team needs on line 1.

RedWingsNow*

Yeah, not sure what more Abdelkader should be realistically expected to do at this point in the season.

It's amazing to me how you guys frame your thinking.

Your frame is broken.

Abdelkader is doing what he's expected to do.

Hit people.

The problem is -- someone like him should not be expected to do what he does on line 1. Line one requires more than hitting guys.
Line one requires some ability to take advantage of the chances that are created for you.

RedWingsNow*

It's too bad Tomas Kopecky wasn't born in Michigan and didn't speak with an accent. He'd have been a much better choice for Abdelkader's role.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
There is no bargain.

You act like Abdelkader EARNED his spot on line 1.

If all you expect Abdelkader to do his hit people and you think that's good enough for line 1 -- then you're problem isn't your assessment of Abdelkader, your problem is your assessment what the this team needs on line 1.

He has a couple points, is +3, and is doing the little stuff we expect on that line, he also has surprisingly helped setup some chances. He is doing his job, the other lines are failing miserably behind them. The idea was he would help provide balance and wouldn't outright hurt the line, he has held up his end of the bargain and is playing hard and contributing to that line. 5 hits a game on the #1 D-pairing is also not inconsequential, only Rinaldo averages more hits a game than Abby right now in the league.

Who knows with the way Abby is playing maybe he will help out Weiss and Franzen can turn back into a shooter on that line instead of a net front guy with Weiss and Abby banging away down low. I don't care where he plays as long as he keeps bringing what he has brought, but I won't call his time this season on line one a failure. He has done well with his opportunity, he came in prepared this season and looks better, he deserves credit for that. I hope it translates down to the second line now.

But he is getting chances and he is creating chances, good on him he needed to do that. He is one of the few guys I am pretty happy with in this start, Kindl being the other notable growth guy that I think continued progress this off-season and looks happy to grab any opportunity he is given.

RedWingsNow*

What did Abdelkader do in his career to earn his role with Datsyuk last year?

He was coming off 30 games with like 2 or 3 points or whatever.

He failed spectacularly whenever he was asked to play 3C for Helm.

You've been endorsing this garbage since last year.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Glendening? How was he in preseason? I thought he scored a goal or 2.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
It's too bad Tomas Kopecky wasn't born in Michigan and didn't speak with an accent. He'd have been a much better choice for Abdelkader's role.

I'm sure Holland's figuring out a way to get Kopecky back as we speak. Don't kid yourself. Just what we need to get the band back together. While were at it let's find Lebda and Lilja too. Since those were the difference makers in 08. :sarcasm:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
It's amazing to me how you guys frame your thinking.

Your frame is broken.

Abdelkader is doing what he's expected to do.

Hit people.

The problem is -- someone like him should not be expected to do what he does on line 1. Line one requires more than hitting guys.
Line one requires some ability to take advantage of the chances that are created for you.

It's just as amazing to me that you don't give him credit be becoming a better player in the time he's been there.

RedWingsNow*

It's just as amazing to me that you don't give him credit be becoming a better player in the time he's been there.

MOD

I credit Abby for being what he is. A 4th line grinder.

Has he shown more than that? No. He hasn;t. By any reasonable standard, no he hasn't.

My problem isn't with Abdelkader.

It's that we put Abby in a position that makes the team worse.

My problem is that coach continually puts players into roles they are not qualified for.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad