News Article: Emelin returns to Montreal for personal reasons (will play vs. TB), Also new lines

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
Why is everybody complaining ? Eller to the wing is the best thing that could happen to Larry. He'll eventually get more ice time and won't be responsible to carry his line as a center. Moreover he's excellent along the boards.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Eller has been playing very well for weeks now. Only on HF and RDS does this 'eller has been awful' narrative remain. Over the course of the season, he's still been one of our better possession forwards, but people only seem to pay attention when the puck slides behind the goal line, which is largely incidental. Soon enough pucks will start going in for the guy and everyone will say ' Wow, what happened? What did he change', and the answer will be ' Nothing'. Just as everyone here thought Maxpac was playing awful before goals started going in for him. I wonder what the reaction will be when the multitude of goal scoring chances the vanek line gives up start going in.

Whatever its strengths are, the Vanek line has been extremely lucky and I'm terrified at the thought of going into the playoffs with two of our lines being that and one centered by Briere.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Whatever its strengths are, the Vanek line has been extremely lucky and I'm terrified at the thought of going into the playoffs with two of our lines being that and one centered by Briere.

Perhaps the death of the leafs has somehow transferred their luck powers over to us...

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC

I get that, but is Patches-DD-Vanek really that much worse defensively than the Patches-DD-Gallagher line we've been running with for most of the year? Well, OK, it might be worse, but when you factor in the offense they've been bringing...do we arrive at a net positive? I guess that's the question.

And if Briere was centering one of our top 2 lines I'd agree, but we should be able to shelter him reasonably well on the 3rd, no?

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I get that, but is Patches-DD-Vanek really that much worse defensively than the Patches-DD-Gallagher line we've been running with for most of the year? Well, OK, it might be worse, but when you factor in the offense they've been bringing...do we arrive at a net positive? I guess that's the question.

And if Briere was centering one of our top 2 lines I'd agree, but we should be able to shelter him reasonably well on the 3rd, no?

Olivier bouchard does a good job counting scoring chances, and so far he's come up with them being at a net negative. Major difference is that we've been scoring on an inordinately high percentage of those chances while the opposition has been scoring on an incredibly low percentage. So while they have definitely been fun to watch, they've also been crazy lucky. One of the major reasons as to why they might be giving up so many chances is vanek switching to RW.

As for sheltering the briere line, I'm not sure. I think that since vanek has been put on the DD line, they've not been so sheltered in terms of opposition (zone starts are a different matter, however). If they manage to gel better and start being a better two-way line than lucky, then we could definitely afford to shelter the third. A healthy 4th can also take some pretty tough minutes. On the other hand, if that first line's luck vanishes, or worse, reverses, I'd imagine that therrien will start sheltering them as an exploitation line again, as opposed to breaking them up.

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2014/3/30/5562726/canadiens-panthers-analyse-et-chances-de-marquer

That's the article by Bouchard I was talking about.

Habaddict

Apr 12, 2009
toronto
Olivier bouchard does a good job counting scoring chances, and so far he's come up with them being at a net negative. Major difference is that we've been scoring on an inordinately high percentage of those chances while the opposition has been scoring on an incredibly low percentage. So while they have definitely been fun to watch, they've also been crazy lucky. One of the major reasons as to why they might be giving up so many chances is vanek switching to RW.

As for sheltering the briere line, I'm not sure. I think that since vanek has been put on the DD line, they've not been so sheltered in terms of opposition (zone starts are a different matter, however). If they manage to gel better and start being a better two-way line than lucky, then we could definitely afford to shelter the third. A healthy 4th can also take some pretty tough minutes. On the other hand, if that first line's luck vanishes, or worse, reverses, I'd imagine that therrien will start sheltering them as an exploitation line again, as opposed to breaking them up.

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2014/3/30/5562726/canadiens-panthers-analyse-et-chances-de-marquer

That's the article by Bouchard I was talking about.[/QUOTE

In theory, both Vanek, and DD play a type of game that should
result in high shooting persentages. Of course, the same isn't true
of MaxPac.

Jamie Thomas

Apr 4, 2003
According to LaPresse, it seems Bourque is not happy about playing on the 4th line.

http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hocke...nterne=cyberpresse_B9_sports_257_accueil_POS1

«Je ne sais pas quoi dire, ce n'est pas ma décision, a commencé par répondre le vétéran. De toute évidence, j'aimerais mieux jouer avec les autres gars (Brian Gionta et Daniel Brière).»

In english it would be something like

I don't know what to think, this is not my decision. Obviously, I'd rather play with the other guys (Gionta and Briere)

Not very nice for White and Bournival, players who give all they have every shift. And after sucking for so long this season, Bourque should be happy to be dressed at all. If the team was healthy, he might already be watching from the pressbox.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton

Sheltering 2 lines in your top 9 is doable, but difficult. It requires:

- A nutcracking two-way line near the top of the rotation

- a 4th line that is atypically solid in their own end.

- overall team ability to push play forward to generate more offensive opportunities.

The 2013 and 2010-11 teams were recent Habs squads that could pull it off.

MTL has had the 1st with Plekanec, but he and Gionta aren't nearly as gangbusters about it this year as last (or years before that). The 2nd they have the bodies for (although none I like so well as Halpern and Armstrong the year before who were monsters at getting the puck out of their own end).

Its the third element where they really have a problem. Part of it is their defense corps is not nearly as good at breakouts as they were last season, part of it is the complete absence of a zone entry system this year and part of it is that Subban used to be one of the games best puck possession players but has devolved (for a few reasons I could speculate on) into uninspired variation on Erik Karlsson during the last several months.

If the team embraces having both Desharnais and Briere at center they are going to need to markedly change how the defense works to get it to function. Along the lines of bringing Bealieu back into the 3rd paring so that unit can go forth and try to win and get Subban a partner who can cover his ass and let him off the leash. As it stands right now though, the Habs aren't a good uptempo team even though they have the horses in the stable for it.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Eller has been playing very well for weeks now. Only on HF and RDS does this 'eller has been awful' narrative remain. Over the course of the season, he's still been one of our better possession forwards, but people only seem to pay attention when the puck slides behind the goal line, which is largely incidental. Soon enough pucks will start going in for the guy and everyone will say ' Wow, what happened? What did he change', and the answer will be ' Nothing'. Just as everyone here thought Maxpac was playing awful before goals started going in for him. I wonder what the reaction will be when the multitude of goal scoring chances the vanek line gives up start going in.
You know what the reaction will be.

It will be to blame Carey Price.
Hopefully Eller on the wing works out this time. He needs to realize that not everything works out as it should and he should make the most of the opportunity. He's talented enough that he can be an excellent winger. He just needs to embrace it
Actually our coach needs to realize that he's totally screwed this kid up and hurt our chances for winning a cup down the line. He's one of two centers we have capable of playing a two way game... and we replace him with Briere?
According to LaPresse, it seems Bourque is not happy about playing on the 4th line.

http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hocke...nterne=cyberpresse_B9_sports_257_accueil_POS1

In english it would be something like

Not very nice for White and Bournival, players who give all they have every shift. And after sucking for so long this season, Bourque should be happy to be dressed at all. If the team was healthy, he might already be watching from the pressbox.
There's one guy I don't have an ounce of pity for. He's been absolutely pathetic.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007

I mean it makes sense. It's a competitive answer - and he did well with Gio and Briere that one game anyway.

Would you all have rathered him say that he's happy wherever the coach puts him?

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York

It's worse, but not that much worse. I still think that's a very good exploitation line, there's too much talent there for their recent streak to be completely a fluke, but the numbers are concerning and they definitely don't impress me outside of the offensive zone.

I just don't think two lines that need sheltering is sustainable. Eller is not having a good season by any stretch of the imagination but even slumping his line made a fine sacrificial lamb for a lot of the season, the current third line might offer more offensive potential but against deeper teams that means two lines that have the potential to be torn up.

Having 2 sheltered lines can work if we have an extremely strong defensive 4th line, something like Bournival-Eller-White/Prust, but that means removing some mythical toughness from the lineup, which I don't see happening after last year.

And I just realized Talk to Goalposts said it better than me.

Last edited:

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009
I think MT had it right with Briere flanked by Gionta/Bourque as they both have been able to keep the puck out while they've been on 5 on 5 all season and Eller with Bournival/White has looked good in both zones. The Briere line also has chipped in some offence lately. Not sure why MT felt the need to tinker unless they are moving Eller up a line at wing with the idea to move him back to center with Gionta in the next few games.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Olivier bouchard does a good job counting scoring chances,

As for the line's name, I'll take a page out of Olivier Boucher's book and name it the 'Living on borrowed time' line.

Make up your mind damnit, is it Boucher or Bouchard?:dunno:
I was sitting here last night looking for anything Habs related by this Bio-geochemical researcher named Olivier Boucher.

overloads:shakehead

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
I think MT had it right with Briere flanked by Gionta/Bourque as they both have been able to keep the puck out while they've been on 5 on 5 all season and Eller with Bournival/White has looked good in both zones. The Briere line also has chipped in some offence lately. Not sure why MT felt the need to tinker unless they are moving Eller up a line at wing with the idea to move him back to center with Gionta in the next few games.

I don't think Therrien is done tinkering. Tampa's pretty much a 1 man team at this point, so if you want a true shutdown line against Stamkos, Eller-Plekanec-Gionta is pretty much the best combo possible. I think that's why he's testing Eller on the wings tomorrow.

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal
First, I think the terms 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th line are obsolete or simply don't apply to our team. We don't have a 1st line center and to me this is pretty much a requirement to call a line a 1st line.

Our strongest offensive line is obviously the Patches-DD-Vanek line and they get the best offensive minutes. This means that they get and deserve by virtue of the overall ability of that line more offensive zone starts against opponents that are either weak defensively or offensively when it's possible to do so. We should break them up since they work so well too.

This means that technically they shouldn't get too much defensive zone starts against opposition that is good offensively and that's perfect since we have a great defensive center in Plekanec and another decent to good defensive center in Eller. Plekanec has also proven that he can have very good offensive production when paired to good players while Eller doesn't have that track record and doesn't show offensive abilities with consistency (IMO).

I like the Chucky-Plek-Gally line because it gives the kids a skilled center with good shooting ability (overall skills in fact) and good vision to play with. It also gives them a strong defensive center to help them in the defensive end. It gives Plekanec some skilled wingers to exploit his offensive skills. Obviously, Plekanec still doesn't get the strongest wingers to help him out in the offensive zone (Patches and Vanek), but Chucky and Gally aren't chopped liver.

I'm kinda torn about the fact that Plekanec will need to play less strenuous defensive minutes but will also by the same token be given better offensive minutes because he'll be playing with the kids. He's clearly our best shutdown center, but is also our best offensive center. This means that you want to play him in the toughest minutes because he's the best suited center for this task on our team. It's also logical to give our best offensive players the chance to exploit the easier minutes remaining. Unfortunately, our best wingers are not tough minutes scorers (Pacioretty might be but he's joined at the hip with DD because of his chemistry and his current production).

Next line would be Moen-Eller-Gionta. This would be our shutdown line. I'm not convinced by Eller's ability to shutdown topflight forwards like Plekanec can, but he's been getting better and better on faceoffs and if he concentrates only on defense, I think he could do well. Moen and Gionta are both great defensive wingers and would complement Eller in all zones IMO.

Finally, I'd probably go with an energy line in Bournival-White-Weise as fourth line.

So all in all:

Pacioretty-DD-Vanek
Chucky-Plek-Gally
Moen-Eller-Gionta
Bournival-White/Prust-Weise

If we had time left before the playoffs, I'd try to separate Pacioretty from DD and go:

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Gally - 2-way power line
Vanek-DD-Brière - offensive exploitation line
Galchenyuk-Eller-Gionta - comeback line
Moen/Prust/Bournival/White/Weise - defensively solid energy line

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Make up your mind damnit, is it Boucher or Bouchard?:dunno:
I was sitting here last night looking for anything Habs related by this Bio-geochemical researcher named Olivier Boucher.

overloads:shakehead

Man, I always get confused between Chris Boucher and Olivier Bouchard :laugh:

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany

While I can agree that they've been scoring a lot and that seeing this every night is not sustainable. I don't buy into the logic that every missed conversion from a scoring chance to a goal is due to favorable puck luck.

The author doesn't really study why those scoring chances against didn't convert, he just says it's favorable puck luck. And all of this for one game? Maybe the defensive pairings were playing really well too?

I'd like to understand where he gets 11/35 for and 3/39 against. He's posting a lot of interesting stats, but he isn't posting calculated results other than just claiming it. Maybe the author isn't presenting his stats adequately. But to me, his analysis seems incomplete.

I don't believe our 1st line will score this much every game. They didn't against Boston. Lines can go on hot streaks just as much as droughts. I don't buy that the 1st line has been overachieving and incredibly lucky. Not as much as the author is letting off.

Jamie Thomas

Apr 4, 2003
I mean it makes sense. It's a competitive answer - and he did well with Gio and Briere that one game anyway.

Would you all have rathered him say that he's happy wherever the coach puts him?

I'd rather he shut the **** up and do wathever he can to earn a promotion. To me he has not earned the right to complain. There is also that I hate the hockey player Rene Bourque.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad