News Article: Emelin returns to Montreal for personal reasons (will play vs. TB), Also new lines

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
Yeah Emelin hip checked Plekanec's wife, which everyone was successful when the baby hipchecked the placenta out.

This, and the absence of a turtleneck on the infant, convinced Pleks the baby wasn't is.

Kid had no goatee either ;)

Also, the first word baby said coming out of his mom was 'putin'... although he could have said 'poutine', being born in Montréal and all... :D

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
My ideal (realistic) lines:

Patches - DD - Vanek
Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Gallagher
Bournival - Eller - Briere
Bourque - White - Gionta

or

Patches - DD - Vanek
Galchenyuk - Eller - Gallagher
Bournival - Plekanec - Briere/Gionta
Borque - White - Gionta/Briere

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Plekanec rejoins, Emelin leaves?

OMG :amazed:

Emelin is the father of Plekanec's newborn :laugh:

Ha that's the first thing that popped into my mind whan I saw the thread.

Anyway looks like Yemmy will be gone just a day and then rejoin the team vs TB.

Dave StubbsVerified account ‏@Dave_Stubbs

Via @JFChaumontJDM #Habs: Emelin will play vs #TBLightning tomorrow. He'll rejoin team tonight after family-reasons trip to Mtl #HabsIO

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

Dave StubbsVerified account ‏@Dave_Stubbs

Via @JFChaumontJDM #Habs: Emelin will play vs #TBLightning tomorrow. He'll rejoin team tonight after family-reasons trip to Mtl #HabsIO

Such a good news, Emelin is playing like a stud for the past 2 weeks, really makes us a better team. I'm less worried about this game, now.

hogtownhabsfan*

Emelin's really turned it around, starting with the Leafs game I think.

He was terrible before, but he's been a great #3 since.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
In his last 9 games, Emelin have 1g 5a for 6P while been at +5 and around 21 minutes per games.

We need him sooooo much!

For the playoff that's our defence

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
??????-Weaver

??? been 1 of Murray/Tinordi/Beaulieu

Just not Bouillon!

EvilGreenRanger

Mar 27, 2014
In his last 9 games, Emelin have 1g 5a for 6P while been at +5 and around 21 minutes per games.

We need him sooooo much!

For the playoff that's our defence

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
??????-Weaver

??? been 1 of Murray/Tinordi/Beaulieu

Just not Bouillon!

It's gotta be Murray or Tinordi, in my opinion, and I'm more apt to go with the experience in Murray.

Though we might need someone with a bit more speed in Tinordi against a Tampa squad, though this game tomorrow will lend a much better idea in that regard.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Meh, I've given up on him. All I know is out of the 18 or so forwards we've had all year, his play has been the least impressive. Okay, excluding Parros. But when you're only marginally better than an enforcer on his last legs...not good.

We've had Eller at C and Briere on the wing for, like, 65 games this year. Why not the other way around?

Because it makes very little sense. Even at his worst, Eller plays very well defensively and is infinitely more useful at center. Briere at C instantly makes it another pity line.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Come playoff time, I honestly wouldn't mind to an Eller Plekanec Gionta shutdown line.

The problem however is that Briere, Galchenyuk and Desharnais are not defensive stalwarts and I have my doubts about a combination of Prust, Weise, Moen and White's ability to eat minutes in a relatively tough matchup.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
A good shutdown line would be

Eller - Plekanec - Gionta

This is why I'm hoping the experiment on the wing works for eller. If he can play well on the wing, this line can be formed to shut down the stamkos line while being able to produce some offense

Patches DD Vanek
Eller Pleks Gio
Chuckie Briere Gally
Moen Prust Weise

There won't be any passengers in the line up!

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
With Emelin playing the way he has, I'd move him up to play with Subban, which would finally see him back at his natural LD position.

Emelin-Subban
Markov-Weaver
Murray-Tinordi/Bouillon/Beaulieu

Until Gorges returns could be great IMO. Enough with this spreading the suck around approach to our D.

1UP

Oct 2, 2007
Québec
"In the news today, a strange discovery. A Russian Hockey player that seems to be capable of impregnating women with hip-checks.

Stay tuned!"

Aaand, Lucic? I'd check those periods.

(Seriously, I hope it's nothing bad. Luckily, he'll be playing vs the Bolts, so it's probably 'k)

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Because it makes very little sense. Even at his worst, Eller plays very well defensively and is infinitely more useful at center. Briere at C instantly makes it another pity line.

"Very well defensively" and "infinitely more useful" are two huge overstatements when talking about Eller's play lately. He should be happy to be on the wing and not in the press box, if we're being brutally honest. Maybe he would be if our 4th line were healthy.

The whole season outside of two weeks has been a pity line wherever Eller's played, might as well give Briere a turn and see if he can't do any better.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
"Very well defensively" and "infinitely more useful" are two huge overstatements when talking about Eller's play lately. He should be happy to be on the wing and not in the press box, if we're being brutally honest. Maybe he would be if our 4th line were healthy.

The whole season outside of two weeks has been a pity line wherever Eller's played, might as well give Briere a turn and see if he can't do any better.

Yah... but he's so big and he was so great last season!!!

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

Eller has been playing very well for weeks now. Only on HF and RDS does this 'eller has been awful' narrative remain. Over the course of the season, he's still been one of our better possession forwards, but people only seem to pay attention when the puck slides behind the goal line, which is largely incidental. Soon enough pucks will start going in for the guy and everyone will say ' Wow, what happened? What did he change', and the answer will be ' Nothing'. Just as everyone here thought Maxpac was playing awful before goals started going in for him. I wonder what the reaction will be when the multitude of goal scoring chances the vanek line gives up start going in.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Eller has been playing very well for weeks now. Only on HF and RDS does this 'eller has been awful' narrative remain. Over the course of the season, he's still been one of our better possession forwards, but people only seem to pay attention when the puck slides behind the goal line, which is largely incidental. Soon enough pucks will start going in for the guy and everyone will say ' Wow, what happened? What did he change', and the answer will be ' Nothing'. Just as everyone here thought Maxpac was playing awful before goals started going in for him. I wonder what the reaction will be when the multitude of goal scoring chances the vanek line gives up start going in.

Well I'd hope you'd give me enough credit to believe that the only narratives I subscribe to are the ones I form from watching the games myself, and I just don't see the vast gulf between Eller and Briere that you're describing. Eller is better defensively, but Briere has been better offensively. At the very least, maybe it could jumpstart Eller's offense somehow. I'd be as thrilled as anyone if the puck did start going in for him, we can certainly use the secondary scoring.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Well I'd hope you'd give me enough credit to believe that the only narratives I subscribe to are the ones I form from watching the games myself, and I just don't see the vast gulf between Eller and Briere that you're describing. Eller is better defensively, but Briere has been better offensively. At the very least, maybe it could jumpstart Eller's offense somehow. I'd be as thrilled as anyone if the puck did start going in for him, we can certainly use the secondary scoring.

Of course not, you're one of the few posters I hold in high regard here :laugh:

And I've actually liked Briere with eller before, but just not with Briere at C. I really do think that he's awful defensively. He's more awful than Eller is good, which, given how highly I think of eller's D game, is saying something. I don't see what Danny B can't do from wing that he currently does at C, but I do see one of Eller's better talents being taken away when he's not in the middle.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
Of course not, you're one of the few posters I hold in high regard here :laugh:

And I've actually liked Briere with eller before, but just not with Briere at C. I really do think that he's awful defensively. He's more awful than Eller is good, which, given how highly I think of eller's D game, is saying something. I don't see what Danny B can't do from wing that he currently does at C, but I do see one of Eller's better talents being taken away when he's not in the middle.

There is such thing as a defensive winger. By that same token you can say that one of Hossa's main assets is wasted on the wing.

defensive plays can be made anywhere on the ice. And to eller's benefit, the most effective part of his game should be utilized more on the wing... his board play

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Hopefully Eller on the wing works out this time. He needs to realize that not everything works out as it should and he should make the most of the opportunity. He's talented enough that he can be an excellent winger. He just needs to embrace it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad