Ellis contract and Jake Gardiner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Folks outside of Pittsburgh for one lucky season no one has had a defence of run and gunners to a Cup win. remember that fact. as you analytics guys say that is a statistical outlier. what we need is a couple niskanins and orpiks. very very difficult to win Cups with 3 john carlsons. we need dependable defense first thinkers who dont make brutal errors and can protect the net and can work the boards. just do the simple plays - box out your man from the net, eat the puck on the boards when no exit, take the man or the puck at the blue line on the pinch, make sure no one is behind you, cover your partner when he takes a risk, high and hard on glass when no other option, knock someone on their *ss when bothering your goalie, take a penalty on a guy when you need to send a message, force the outside shot, there are so many little details that a great defensive dman does which most fans just have no clue. Who cares if it does show up in the game sheet. It shows up in team wins and Cups. Goals and assists are not the best measure of a great defenseman.
Pitts won 2 cups, not 1 with a crap D and Carolina won with arguably the worst d-core ever simply because they transitioned to quickly to their strong forwards.

We need smart defenseman who transition quick. I'd like a better D, but teams have won cups (and not just a single year) with setups like ours.

Last edited:

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
I would be ok with Gardiner on an 8-year deal. I think he'll age well. Maybe giving him big term can help to keep the AAV down.

If not, I would look to move Zaitsev and use the savings to sign Jake.

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
The 06 Carolina year was also a fluke as league really did not know Ward and he stood on his head and basically won the Cup on his own. You could say same with Roy with Habs in 93.

That said Canes had 4 stay at home dmen who all had reputations for putting their faces in front of pucks and were known as pretty tough big boys who roughed it up pretty good. Wesley Wardo Commodore and Kaberle. They also had their puck mover guys in Hedican, Wallin and Tverdovsky. They had a good mix of type of playing styles. Wesley was nearing the end but he still mustered up a 1A performance that Cup run.

The Leafs don't. They have all offensively minded dmen except for old man Hainsey who cant handle the minutes anymore. I like Hainsey he can be a factor in a playoff run this season but he cant come into the playoffs exhausted. He can't be our only dmen who thinks the game defensively first and foremost. We need at least 2 more guys who think defence first and can do all the little details game in game out.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
we're really close to the cap, but the emergence of dermott as our future LD on that 2nd pair behind rielly might be a bigger reason the guys will think long and hard about gardiner, getting gardiner back would of course be amazing but the cap is an issue and dermott and liljegren entering our top 4 is an issue too

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
The acquisition of Muzzin combined with Dermott's solid first year and Sandin's tremendous first pro season in the AHL at age 18 make it a no-brainer for me in that I would not re-sign Gardiner.

Reactions: Duke Silver

horner

May 22, 2007
Jake looks hurt .

Giving the puck away very quickly.

He won't be with the Leafs next yr , I hope.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Kinda hoping for a Gardiner - Myers+ swap.
I'd be fine with just swapping their rights straight up. If we get a late round pick or something if he signs I guess it's a bonus.

Myers isn't my #1 choice and he had kind of a rough year, but I'd like to see us at least try a 6'8" RD that can skate and move the puck.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I'd be fine with just swapping their rights straight up. If we get a late round pick or something if he signs I guess it's a bonus.

Myers isn't my #1 choice and he had kind of a rough year, but I'd like to see us at least try a 6'8" RD that can skate and move the puck.
$$$ won't fit for toronto now, I'm ok with a top 4 of Rielly, Muzzin, Dermott and Zaitsev

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad