Speculation: Ellis’ upcoming contract

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I like Ryan Ellis a lot but hes not a 7 million dollar a season player. For anyone.

Dumba got 6 mil. Ellis is older and not significantly better than Dumba so 6 mil should be Ellis' ceiling.

RFA and UFA contracts are not comparable.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
In cases like Dumba where the years extend into UFA time they are somewhat comparable. An RFA bridge deal is not comparable at all.

Dumba had one team competing for his services, Ellis is going to have 10+ if he hits the open market. Dumba's contract is where the bidding starts.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
Dumba had one team competing for his services, Ellis is going to have 10+ if he hits the open market. Dumba's contract is where the bidding starts.

Sure, if he goes to UFA and and gets overpaid. If he re-signs in Nashville 6 million is probably the ceiling, at least it should be.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

If Ellis want to extend now there is only one team bidding for his services. I agree if hes a UFA next summer somebody will overpay for him like most every UFA. But if he wants to lock in his spot on a Cup contending team he will not be signing for UFA money

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I love Ellis but if someone gives him 7 x 7 they are very likely to regret it. I don't come by that statement so much in his play, but much more from the injury side of things. He's good for one solid injury every season, some last longer than others, but he's had some decent ones. It wouldn't shock me at all to see him much like Weber is at about the same age. It's the major reason I don't want to give him bigger money and bigger term, I just don't trust you will get much out of him the last 3-4 years.

Ellis is a good solid Dman that has a heck of a shot and can see the ice as well as anyone and is a solid leader. The injuries though on that smaller frame can add up quickly and it's a major concern.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad