Speculation: Ellis’ upcoming contract

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I don’t. We have Bouchard and Bear coming on the right side. No need to spend huge money on another guy there.

Bear looked lost at the NHL. Bouchard is 18. If you have a chance to get ryan ellis, you get ryan ellis

The Ugly Truth

May 23, 2018
I'd like Reinhart too. We would be the one adding though. Hously would love to have Ellis though

Ellis actually reminds me of a lite version of Housley.

Dahlin, Ristolainen, Ellis, Scandella, Bogosian, McCabe would be quite an improvement for the Sabres on defence compared to the past few years. Unfortunately, Eichel must feel like he's playing 1 on 5 most nights. It's too bad Eichel isn't playing for a team like San Jose or Winnipeg.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Short term, Preds easily can afford 7x7 but he wants a NMC which could be a crimp in the long term. Long term, we are thinking abut the expansion draft. This year he was injured but projected he scored more than Subban and played high level defense. If you see him as a #2, then sign him. If you see him as a #4, shop him. Preds still have Josi, Subban, Ekholm. With two guys in development Carrier, and Allard who if they came up to play 2nd pairing I would not cry. Also Fabbro is in the mix when he signs. Ellis could be seen as an asset in a trade.

I posted a trade here of Ellis, Bonino for Kadri, Zaitsev, and a 2nd. I'm wondering if Poile and co. are auctioning Ellis for a forward upgrade.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Short term, Preds easily can afford 7x7 but he wants a NMC which could be a crimp in the long term. Long term, we are thinking abut the expansion draft. This year he was injured but projected he scored more than Subban and played high level defense. If you see him as a #2, then sign him. If you see him as a #4, shop him. Preds still have Josi, Subban, Ekholm. With two guys in development Carrier, and Allard who if they came up to play 2nd pairing I would not cry. Also Fabbro is in the mix when he signs. Ellis could be seen as an asset in a trade.

I posted a trade here of Ellis, Bonino for Kadri, Zaitsev, and a 2nd. I'm wondering if Poile and co. are auctioning Ellis for a forward upgrade.

Or we keep those assets and sign Ellis next year.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
So we trade assets for him and let him walk?

That makes less sense.

No, I imagine they would trade assets for him continent upon him signing an extension. Exactly like the Predators did last season with Kyle Turris. Or they could sit around and take their chances with the 10+ teams that pursue Ryan Ellis in the offseason. Provided he isn't traded to someone else with an extension. If he does walk, I'm not so sure it will be the Predators from which he will be walking. Poile has already been burned once by Suter.

Reactions: FilthyScoresberg

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I like Ellis but I couldn't justify giving him more than $6.5. He's your #3 and you simply can't give more than that in a cap world. It's not even about the quality of the player here, its about managing the cap and not falling into that trap of retaining players at any cost and figuring out the rest later.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
What the Preds really should do is sign Ellis for just a 1-year extension. Let him be UFA in summer 2020. Then sign him after that's all over with. Everybody wins.

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
Is your sole purpose on HF just to try and clown Oilers fans? Get a life dude lol
Not at all but when you post something ridiculous like that I can't help myself. Yes, I am sure the Oilers can dump their overpriced crap without taking any salary at all back so they can sign Ellis.:rolleyes: You need a reality check.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
played for peanuts all his career looking with envy at sweet deals others made. it's time to cash in. 7 years x 7 mil sounds reasonable
Doesn't feel like this is the case, but in a vacuum one can speculate either way. Sure, go ahead and speculate based on nothing that he's "looking to cash in". And most Preds fans are speculating that instead he doesn't care too much about the cash part, but rather wants an NMC to ensure he stays a "Pred for life". Either way, we're just projecting.

And either way, I'd let him walk as a UFA. He's not worth 7x7, and he's not worth putting an NMC on even at a much lower cap hit.

It's really baffling to me how other fanbases seem to be viewing Ellis atm. He signed a relatively unusual "5-year bridge" contract off his ELC, and that was his choice. Last season might have been his breakthrough year... hard to tell, he came off a great 2017 playoff, but unfortunately was seriously injured, and while his production was good in his half-season, he stunk out the joint in the playoffs. It's not enough to go on. Letting him play out the coming year would be a reasonable decision on the Preds' part if he really did have higher-end contract demands. The team can afford to wait him out, because it's not really that much of an impact if he stays or if he goes. And if other teams want to pay a player like that 7x7, be my guest.

Reactions: PredsV82

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I like Ryan Ellis a lot but hes not a 7 million dollar a season player. For anyone.

Dumba got 6 mil. Ellis is older and not significantly better than Dumba so 6 mil should be Ellis' ceiling.

Reactions: Tex76

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
If he's what people think he is, then he's a lower end #2. If so, then about $7M and term as a UFA is about market value for that.

The danger is that he's extremely insulated on a stacked blueline. So is he ready to break out with more responsibility, or is he going to be exposed when he needs to shoulder much more responsibility?

I'm not sure, but I certainly lean more to the idea that he's poised to emerge as a $7M #2 defenseman out of free agency than I believe he truly is a $4.5M #4 defenseman, as some Preds fans might have people believe.

In free agency, I think he knows he can bank on 7 x $7M/yr from the Leafs. Overpayment is what free agency is all about, always. While too often, proposals are all about the Leafs to a laughable degree, in this case he really is a perfect fit there. I put stock in this one.

So I think that will be his baseline ask, and he won't rush into anything. That will price him out of Nashville unless they move another D next summer. As a contender, it's not likely the Predators move him this coming season. Asset management isn't Nashville's priority right now in their competitiveness curve.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
If he's what people think he is, then he's a lower end #2. If so, then about $7M and term as a UFA is about market value for that.

The danger is that he's extremely insulated on a stacked blueline. So is he ready to break out with more responsibility, or is he going to be exposed when he needs to shoulder much more responsibility?

I'm not sure, but I certainly lean more to the idea that he's poised to emerge as a $7M #2 defenseman out of free agency than I believe he truly is a $4.5M #4 defenseman, as some Preds fans might have people believe.

In free agency, I think he knows he can bank on 7 x $7M/yr from the Leafs. Overpayment is what free agency is all about, always. While too often, proposals are all about the Leafs to a laughable degree, in this case he really is a perfect fit there. I put stock in this one.

So I think that will be his baseline ask, and he won't rush into anything. That will price him out of Nashville unless they move another D next summer. As a contender, it's not likely the Predators move him this coming season. Asset management isn't Nashville's priority right now in their competitiveness curve.
Yeah, that's totally fair. If Ellis - and anybody else - thinks he's that good, I would say: "go for it". I think you're nuts if you think that, but ok, that's what free agency is all about and if a team wants to lock him in with that kind of wishful thinking attached, that's their prerogative. Nashville doesn't need to take that kind of leap with their #4 defenseman, for sure.

We still like him A LOT and will hold onto him for the 2018-19 season no matter what. He's a totally awesome #4 D and our D really leans on the top-4 rotation for minutes and everything, plus he's a fabulous cap hit at $2.5M for what he does. But if he wants to chase a bigger role and a UFA payday, that's definitely a sensible path to take as an individual at his age, I would wish him well. But not bat an eyelid at letting him walk away to that payday. Because I know he's just not *that* good. I'm obviously not a Leafs fan, but I think you'd do yourselves a huge disservice taking him on a 7x7 deal, you will lock yourself out of getting a true top-pairing D, but I won't lose any sleep if that's what you want to do. :)

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I think a lot of people are selling themselves on him being a top pair player stuck behind Josi and Subban in Nashville. I think really his true capability is one of the best 2nd pair guys in the league, who could play top pair if he had to but probably would disappoint if hes on your top pair for 82 games, especially if you expect him to be the top player on the top pair.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Yeah, that's totally fair. If Ellis - and anybody else - thinks he's that good, I would say: "go for it". I think you're nuts if you think that, but ok, that's what free agency is all about and if a team wants to lock him in with that kind of wishful thinking attached, that's their prerogative. Nashville doesn't need to take that kind of leap with their #4 defenseman, for sure.

We still like him A LOT and will hold onto him for the 2018-19 season no matter what. He's a totally awesome #4 D and our D really leans on the top-4 rotation for minutes and everything, plus he's a fabulous cap hit at $2.5M for what he does. But if he wants to chase a bigger role and a UFA payday, that's definitely a sensible path to take as an individual at his age, I would wish him well. But not bat an eyelid at letting him walk away to that payday. Because I know he's just not *that* good. I'm obviously not a Leafs fan, but I think you'd do yourselves a huge disservice taking him on a 7x7 deal, you will lock yourself out of getting a true top-pairing D, but I won't lose any sleep if that's what you want to do. :)
That sounds right to me. Nashville values him, but he's undoubtedly a luxury for a team with a plethora of riches on the blueline. At his excellent salary, he absolutely anchors their depth on defense and will be a rock on the second pairing for the full season. Nashville is a stellar bet to compete for a Cup in 2018-19. They will not consider trading him.

As for his free agency outlook? Lots of options, but I tend to think the Leafs will be the team. I think Toronto, as a team and fan base, isn't prepared to make difficult decisions yet to bolster the defense. Those changes are needed to compete right now. I expect they will enter the season, at best committed to seeing where the limitations are, and at worst they actually believe they can overload their offense so much that their thin defense won't matter. It's imbalanced to me, but they aren't receptive to that kind of thinking yet.

I think it will bite them and they'll either be out in the first round to Boston again, or win the division and win one round before they bow out to the Lightning in round two. By next summer, I think they will aggressively look for help. They'll first look to unrestricted free agency, and then move on to the trade markets, if necessary. Anyway, after ignoring their defense this summer, I suspect they are going to be primed to throw stupid money at a good but not excellent defenseman like Ellis in 11 months. They won't be alone, but I think they will be the most hungry.

(By the way, I'm a Caps fan; not a Leafs fan by any stretch. I just think that available quality defensemen are going to be Toronto targets for a couple of years. Their needs will be most acute. Their willingness to go over the top to secure their guy will probably be substantial. So examples like that are where I believe the overpayment comes from, for a guy like Ellis.)

LOUISVILLE ICE CARDS

Washed up College Hockey Player OSU18 Uofl 2021
May 7, 2013
Louisville Kentucky
Isn't your goalie about to retire? and the top 2 centers, as well as the remaining of the top 4 dmen will be on the wrong side of 30 for the majority of an Ellis 7 year contract.

Have you not heard of the Legend of Little Bear (Juuse Saros)? We are a young team other than Rinne and his replacement is already playing. We are by no means on the downswing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->