Speculation: Ellis’ upcoming contract

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Any guesses on what he will make, probably less than Carlson I guess.

Hope Tavares puts in a call to his ex teammate for the 2019 season:

Rielly Zaitsev
Dermott Ellis
Borgman Liljegren
Rosen Holl

Last edited:

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Really hope we cam ditch 2 out of the 3 in Lucic, Russel, Sekera next year and offer him 5-7 years x 6-6.5m.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThomasG

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Really hope we cam ditch 2 out of the 3 in Lucic, Russel, Sekera next year and offer him 5-7 years x 7m.
I don’t. We have Bouchard and Bear coming on the right side. No need to spend huge money on another guy there.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Re-sign with Preds at a friendly $5.5M per.
It better be something like this. $5.5-6.0M and absolutely no advantageous weighting/bonuses or NTC/NMC clauses is all that he is worth.

Ellis is a good player, but this talk of him getting $7M per is just utter nonsense. He's our #4 defenseman, he has some good attributes but also some warts. He could be a good #3 on some teams, and maybe #2 on some very very bad teams. But he's small, he's a little slow, has never scored 40 pts, and is coming off an absolutely ATTROCIOUS playoff performance. Anybody who thinks he is worth $7M per, frankly you can have him at that outlandish number next summer because I would let him walk UFA at that number.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It better be something like this. $5.5-6.0M and absolutely no advantageous weighting/bonuses or NTC/NMC clauses is all that he is worth.

Ellis is a good player, but this talk of him getting $7M per is just utter nonsense. He's our #4 defenseman, he has some good attributes but also some warts. He could be a good #3 on some teams, and maybe #2 on some very very bad teams. But he's small, he's a little slow, has never scored 40 pts, and is coming off an absolutely ATTROCIOUS playoff performance. Anybody who thinks he is worth $7M per, frankly you can have him at that outlandish number next summer because I would let him walk UFA at that number.

See that's the question he's your #4 but is he real #4 or is he just your #4? Because if he's really a#2 on most teams then he's getting 6-7 million as a UFA.

If he's a real #4 then it's about 4.5 million as a UFA

Reactions: Critical91

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
Leafs can offer 6m x 7years; hopefully he takes a discount (will be offered more by other teams) to play on a contender.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I'm a big Ellis fan, but he's no where near a Seguin level player at his position. He's a #2, not a #1.

You get what I'm saying, you don't pass on the chance to acquire an elite talent for free because of prospects that yet may still take 2-3 years to develop.

Especially a team like the Oilers who are in win now mode with McDavid.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Can Nashville sign him or will he become cap casualty?

I’d love the Leafs to try and get him but if he hits the market he will likely be a overpaid by a bit out of the Leafs range. I’d go after Stralman if the Lightning somehow get Karlsson and decide not to sign him.

member 147413

Bear, sure. Bouchard, I disagree.
That’s fair, I’m admittedly not very high on Bouchard.

London has done a very good job at pumping out defensemen and putting them in positions to succeed. However, very few become consistent Top 4 defenders, let alone Top pairing. I also don’t have much faith in Edmonton’s ability to develop.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
Can Nashville sign him or will he become cap casualty?

I’d love the Leafs to try and get him but if he hits the market he will likely be a overpaid by a bit out of the Leafs range. I’d go after Stralman if the Lightning somehow get Karlsson and decide not to sign him.

No to Stralman, his best before date has passed.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
No to Stralman, his best before date has passed.

He’s still a decent defenseman. He won’t be getting a long term deal from everywhere and I’m sure he would sign with the Leafs if Tampa isn’t a possibility. Would come full circle for him to come back to Toronto.

I’d give him a 3 year deal if Ellis isn’t possible.

Reactions: Nifty Willy

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
He’s still a decent defenseman. He won’t be getting a long term deal from everywhere and I’m sure he would sign with the Leafs if Tampa isn’t a possibility. Would come full circle for him to come back to Toronto.

I’d give him a 3 year deal if Ellis isn’t possible.

We can have a sit-down meeting with him and present how he can live out his boyhood dream. We are good at that now.

If we are not signing a core piece, we should develop them from within. I'd rather give a kid a spot than have a vet take it up their opportunity moving forward.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
That’s fair, I’m admittedly not very high on Bouchard.

London has done a very good job at pumping out defensemen and putting them in positions to succeed. However, very few become consistent Top 4 defenders, let alone Top pairing. I also don’t have much faith in Edmonton’s ability to develop.
London generally also has a great team and doesn't sell off multiple 1st round picks/all their best players. Bouchard's numbers last season aren't your typical London inflated numbers.

Reactions: FishManSam

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
That would be like me saying that I would want the Rangers to pass on Seguin because we have Andersson and Chytil coming
No it wouldn’t. Seguin is a better center than Ellis is a D man and both Edmonton prospects are better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->