Speculation: Elliotte Friedman on Matthews speculation with his next contract

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Yet you think they will. Not a chance

I don’t think they will at all- Less than zero chance.

If I’m AM I’m Trying to get out of Toronto and away from Babcock ASAP. If I you want me to stay, the only way it happens is if you pay me a premium. 10.5 mill for on ice, and 3.5 for off ice.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
I’d do 8 x11 in Nashville, Tampa (although this time zone deal is something to think about) Dallas, Pheonix, Anaheim, San Jose., Chicago, Colorado, to name a few. Especially those states with no state income tax.

Toronto, and few others, would pay an extra 3 or 4 mill per year premium, simply because of geography, taxes, media and fan scrutiny for starters.

Can you cite a case where Toronto has had to pay 30-40% over market value to retain a player as a result of those factors?

If the Leafs have to pay that sort of premium to keep players, they are going to have very little chance to ice a contender long term.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I don’t think they will at all- Less than zero chance.

If I’m AM I’m Trying to get out of Toronto and away from Babcock ASAP. If I you want me to stay, the only way it happens is if you pay me a premium. 10.5 mill for on ice, and 3.5 for off ice.

If I was Babcock, I would respond that you can't leave for anther 4 years. In those 4 years, you will play any role I tell you. You will be on the second line and my best players (other than you) will be on the first. You will be paid sufficiently to play around 15 minutes per game which will likely limit the amount of points you get. Your power play minutes will be reduced because you really aren't great at them anyway. If you suck, I will bench you.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
If the Leafs gave him a 5 year contract it would be the most Leafs being Leafs moment in their history

Stamkos first got a 5 year deal. He then got a 8 year deal.

Signing Matthews to 5 years might not be the worst thing in the world. It brings him to 26 yrs old. Signing a 26 year old to an 8 year deal isn't a bad thing.

Now if he signs for 8 years now it brings him to 29.... signing a 29 yr old to an 8 year deal? I dunno.

Obviously I would immediately sign him to 8 yrs (this July!) BUT I do see some merit in signing to a 5 yr deal...

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
And if I'm the owner, I'm saying this to Babcock and Dubas, I'm not paying that kind of player for 17 minutes a game, he plays like the other so called super stars at least 22 minutes in all situations or trade is AS* out of here.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If I was Babcock, I would respond that you can't leave for anther 4 years. In those 4 years, you will play any role I tell you. You will be on the second line and my best players (other than you) will be on the first. You will be paid sufficiently to play around 15 minutes per game which will likely limit the amount of points you get. Your power play minutes will be reduced because you really aren't great at them anyway. If you suck, I will bench you.

That sounds like something Babcock would do. Of course, AM would leave after next year.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Ah that explains it, I wouldn't worry about it if Poulin is saying it. :laugh:
Hahaha! I was thinking that as I was typing it. Wish I could've had a much better source. I believe they did mention it again on TSN radio yesterday as someone mentioned Matthews getting $13M which is ridiculous.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
If the Leafs gave him a 5 year contract it would be the most Leafs being Leafs moment in their history

why?
Crosby signed five years. it wasn't an issue.
Malkin signed five years and it wasn't an issue.
Stamkos signed five years and it ultimately did not turn into an issue.
Tavares signed five years and the Islanders never really did anything so they made it an issue. (and he could even stay so then it wouldn't even be an issue)

but if Matthews did it it's a Leafy thing?
ca-mon.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
By your logic the Oilers should have said no way he gets more than Crosby money. Salaries should have frozen with Sid as the top guy.

I don't think he commands 12 mil but inflation is a real thing.

I believe inflation ties more to generations than year-to-year salaries. It stands to reason that as the cap went up McDavid's generation makes more relative to Crosby's generation. If salaries were tied to percentages of caps then what's the point of cap increases? You're not going to get cap relief, you're just going to pay more in salary. This would kick NHL salaries into some out-of-control form of super-inflation.

Craig Button made a good point about arbitration findings. They don't use percentages of cap, they use similar players as comparisons. If this salary went to arbitration they would likely be looking at Eichel's salary, and not the percentage of McDavid's cap relative to the Oilers overall cap.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
why?
Tavares signed five years and the Islanders never really did anything so they made it an issue. (and he could even stay so then it wouldn't even be an issue)

ca-mon.

Five years would take him to UFA at 25 or 26. If Matthews ask for five yrs it tells you everything you need to know about his desire to stay.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
why?

ca-mon.
The one difference is after those players signed their second contracts after their ELC had finished, there was no 8 year limit to re-sign with the team they were currently on.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Five years would take him to UFA at 25 or 26. If Matthews ask for five yrs it tells you everything you need to know about his desire to stay.

what did it say for Pittsburgh?
twice?

The one difference is after those players signed their second contracts after their ELC had finished, there was no 8 year limit to re-sign with the team they were currently on.

it doesn't matter. they all signed deals that took them to early UFA. (in fact until he changed representation Matthews agency was the same as all of those who signed early)

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
For OP
He is saying Mathews and McDavid will now be represented by the same company.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
what did it say for Pittsburgh?
twice?

it doesn't matter. they all signed deals that took them to early UFA. (in fact until he changed representation Matthews agency was the same as all of those who signed early)

The last leafs report podcast with Mirtle is actually talking about NBA contracts and how most of their top guys actually tend to take short deals because they can keep increasing the max amount of money they make each year. But obviously that trend hasn’t caught on in the NHL.

I figure Matthews will get pretty close to what he asks for regardless so I suspect the safe bet is on him getting an eight year huge money deal. But, anything can happen

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
I happen to see these Tweets from Elliotte Friedman come up on my timeline and he mentions something about Matthews and I assume his next contract and being in the same umbrella as Connor McDavid. So what exactly is he trying to say?

The title is quite misleading.

The bolded has nothing to do with his value/contract.

They simply have the same agency.

Occam's Razor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad