Speculation: Elliotte Friedman on Matthews speculation with his next contract

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I happen to see these Tweets from Elliotte Friedman come up on my timeline and he mentions something about Matthews and I assume his next contract and being in the same umbrella as Connor McDavid. So what exactly is he trying to say?

HC7

May 2, 2018
If Matthews wants McDavid money he should play like McDavid. Sign Tavares and trade Matthews for OEL, Keller, and their next 2 1sts.

Not really, but if he ever goes ghost mode the way he did against Boston he's going to hear about it, and he'll deserve every piece of it.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Will be interesting to see if both sides opt to get the contract extension done this off season. I'd think so.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I don't think this really changes anything TBH

This.

McDavid is a tier or even 2 above Matthews.

McDavid is arguably the best player in the league and has won some hardware already. Matthews hasn't yet. Matthews might, he was definitely in Hart conversation prior to injury but he's still looking at 10-11M on 8 years next contract IMO.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This has to do with his agency representation and nothing else. Basically means he's leaving Pat Brisson.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If Matthews wants McDavid money he should play like McDavid. Sign Tavares and trade Matthews for OEL, Keller, and their next 2 1sts.

Not really, but if he ever goes ghost mode the way he did against Boston he's going to hear about it, and he'll deserve every piece of it.

I heard Matthews and Gardiner are going to be traded to Buffalo for their first round pick and the Leafs will sign Tavares.

member 147413

Stirring up drama from contract speculations. The main board is gonna love ripping on the Leafs for this.

Then we got fans and media already souring on Matthews after a few injuries and poor playoffs.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
This won’t mean much.

He’ll still get a bit higher than Eichel (cap is rising, and his agent will bring up Babcock not using him on 2nd PP unit and balanced icetime distribution as a constraint on his clients offense). And he’ll be Leafs property for the next 8 seasons.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
The only fact is, Leaf's media has been forced to speculate to create content rather then create hostile environment for the team.
The only issue is if Matthews inherited Lupul's glass body gene, otherwise, healthy he's going to rock and get paid accordingly.
Matthews has shown he's really been able to score, but his playmaking (this could be due to his wingers) is more on par with
Bozak then McDavid so far. Really this 'Berezin'-type playing cause them to be shut-down pretty good in the playoffs. Nylander
and Marner are so strong driving the play, perhaps Matthews just hasn't had that opportunity? Or perhaps Matthews' commitment
to defense always has him down low in breaking out any play? In any case, there's a lot of work to be done before you can compare
him to McDavid. If anything, it possibly lowers his trade value.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Looking into it, this story literally means nothing. The point guy who he mostly dealt with at CAA (although officially his agent is Brisson) was Judd Moldaver. Wasserman (a massive agency on par with CAA), just bought the Orr hockey group and are now trying to get heavily into Hockey. Moldaver just quit CAA and Matthews decided to stay working with Moldaver.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The only fact is, Leaf's media has been forced to speculate to create content rather then create hostile environment for the team.
The only issue is if Matthews inherited Lupul's glass body gene, otherwise, healthy he's going to rock and get paid accordingly.
Matthews has shown he's really been able to score, but his playmaking (this could be due to his wingers) is more on par with
Bozak then McDavid so far. Really this 'Berezin'-type playing cause them to be shut-down pretty good in the playoffs. Nylander
and Marner are so strong driving the play, perhaps Matthews just hasn't had that opportunity? Or perhaps Matthews' commitment
to defense always has him down low in breaking out any play? In any case, there's a lot of work to be done before you can compare
him to McDavid. If anything, it possibly lowers his trade value.

The playmaking is definitely a case of some chances not being cashed in on by his wingers.

Reactions: supermann_98

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I happen to see these Tweets from Elliotte Friedman come up on my timeline and he mentions something about Matthews and I assume his next contract and being in the same umbrella as Connor McDavid. So what exactly is he trying to say?

Mathews isn't McDavid ....

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
So this means Matthews is going to leave money on the table like Mcdavid did?

Toreko

Apr 3, 2018
I know Matthews is better.
2IEvMC0

2kfXDtv

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.

It means nothing. Other than the logo on Matthews agent's business card.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009

incredulous.gif

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012

The "Umbrella" he's referring to is just the representing firm, not necessarily a price-range.

Besides, Friedman is a hack now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->