Speculation: Elliotte Friedman on Matthews speculation with his next contract

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
as was pointed out several times.
Crosby signed a 5 year deal that would have had him a UFA. nothing happened
Malkin signed a 5 year deal that would have had him a UFA. nothing happened.
Stamkos signed a 5 year deal that would have had him a UFA. nothing happened.
The only reason why John Tavares might leave is because the Islanders have been a gong-show. and they don't have an arena. and he still very easily could stay.

those are the notable ones. so basically. 3 out of 4 stayed with their highly successful team . And quite frankly, there isn't a big difference between 5 and 8. because at the end of it Matthews will be a UFA anyway. if he hits 5 he's 27ish and he can get a bigger payday, if he hits 8 he's 30ish (and he's gonna hit a bigger payday). he's gonna get his money regardless.

now before Matthews changed agencies, I have said that would have been the deal i was expecting because Brission is Crosby, Malin and Tavares's agent and they all had the "short UFA track contract." i'd gather it's to protect the player (as they were all #1 draft picks) not to be in a terrible situation. 3 stayed. again. Tavares might go because the Islanders sucked for so long. if people are that afraid that matthews will leave after 5 years then quite frankly, i don't know what the other 3 years is going to do for you because he easily could leave then too.
You remove the option of hitting Free agency early by not signing him to a 5 year deal it is piss poor asset management it is a 3 year deal or 8 year deal. Crosby and Malkin won the cup and were staying no matter what. Stammer would have been nuts to leave a great place like Tampa. The weather and tax situation makes him the highest paid player in the NHL in Net money. Play golf year round and out of the limelight. I say JT is going to leave and if that was Mathews I would be pissed.

You lock up assets for as long as you can and if Mathews communicated that he wants to play elsewhere then he is far more tradeable for better assets when he has term remaining.

There is a lot going on with Mathews and the Leafs and I see a long negotiation and maybe the deal does not get done this year. I say it’s 50/50 right now that he signs this summer. He is looking for more ice time and wants a certain line mate etc. Let’s see how this shakes out but no way he gets a 5 year deal from us unless there is an take it or leave it approach from the Mathews camp.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Matthews should not be signing a bridge deal or even a 5 year deal. If Jack Eichel signed an 8 year deal than Matthews deserves one as well and for a little more money.

no one is saying the Leafs should sign Matthews to a bridge deal.
however, it's only very recently that the higher end (usually #1 draft picks etc) signed 8+ years. (McDavid, Eichel, etc). the first big crop of #1 overall (who Matthews used to be represented with) signed a 5 year deal

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
You remove the option of hitting Free agency early by not signing him to a 5 year deal it is piss poor asset management it is a 3 year deal or 8 year deal. Crosby and Malkin won the cup and were staying no matter what. Stammer would have been nuts to leave a great place like Tampa. The weather and tax situation makes him the highest paid player in the NHL in Net money. Play golf year round and out of the limelight. I say JT is going to leave and if that was Mathews I would be pissed.

You lock up assets for as long as you can and if Mathews communicated that he wants to play elsewhere then he is far more tradeable for better assets when he has term remaining.

There is a lot going on with Mathews and the Leafs and I see a long negotiation and maybe the deal does not get done this year. I say it’s 50/50 right now that he signs this summer. He is looking for more ice time and wants a certain line mate etc. Let’s see how this shakes out but no way he gets a 5 year deal from us unless there is an take it or leave it approach from the Mathews camp.

so are you honestly sitting there and telling me that Pittsburgh, Tampa and the Islanders didn't want those players to be locked up as much as possible? I doubt it very much that Crosby's camp said "five years" and Pittsburgh said, "Oh yah, that's totally fine." ? Things weren't rosy for Crosby/Malkin during those five years.. Stamkos had huge issues with Cooper etc.

I find it very hard to believe that the agency that had the same people (before Matthews left) all had 5 year deals, and it's like. "well it's okay for them, because reasons., but you know Matthews pft no, it's going to be be "insert drama here." I was fully prepared for a 5 year deal, due to the MO of that agency. Now that he's moved to the Orr Group, maybe it is an eight year deal. it also wouldn't be the biggest deal if he signed for 5. whatever issues you (or anyone) people feel Matthews/Leafs have it's no more or less than what the other ones have too (minus Tavares because at the very least the Leafs will never ever be poor and will always have an arena).

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
so are you honestly sitting there and telling me that Pittsburgh, Tampa and the Islanders didn't want those players to be locked up as much as possible? I doubt it very much that Crosby's camp said "five years" and Pittsburgh said, "Oh yah, that's totally fine." ? Things weren't rosy for Crosby/Malkin during those five years.. Stamkos had huge issues with Cooper etc.

I find it very hard to believe that the agency that had the same people (before Matthews left) all had 5 year deals, and it's like. "well it's okay for them, because reasons., but you know Matthews pft no, it's going to be be "insert drama here." I was fully prepared for a 5 year deal, due to the MO of that agency. Now that he's moved to the Orr Group, maybe it is an eight year deal. it also wouldn't be the biggest deal if he signed for 5. whatever issues you (or anyone) people feel Matthews/Leafs have it's no more or less than what the other ones have too (minus Tavares because at the very least the Leafs will never ever be poor and will always have an arena).
We hold all the cards right now so why would we allow them to be in control in 5 years when we can extend that window for 8 years or possibly 11 if we go 3 years and then 8.

Giving him a 5 years deal only puts us in a stupid position in 5 years of having to kiss ass and sign him to a silly number or else he walks. No thanks.

McDavid 8 years
Ekblad 8 years
McKinnon 7 years
Ryan Nugget Hopkins 7 years
Taylor Hall 7 years
So all but Nail have signed 8 or 7 year deals. Last 5 year deal was JT.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gary Nylund

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
We hold all the cards right now so why would we allow them to be in control in 5 years when we can extend that window for 8 years or possibly 11 if we go 3 years and then 8.

Giving him a 5 years deal only puts us in a stupid position in 5 years of having to kiss ass and sign him to a silly number or else he walks. No thanks.

McDavid 8 years
Ekblad 8 years
McKinnon 7 years
Taylor Hall 7 years

Yeah, most recent trends point to him getting an 8 year deal.

I doubt his agent will mind either considering it’s going to be for an enormous sum. His client may potentially be the second highest paid NHLer (at least until JT signs his free agency deal).

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Yeah, most recent trends point to him getting an 8 year deal.

I doubt his agent will mind either considering it’s going to be for an enormous sum. His client may potentially be the second highest paid NHLer (at least until JT signs his free agency deal).
Yes he should only get 10.5 but likely will get 11m per average.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

McDavid 8 years
Ekblad 8 years
McKinnon 7 years
Taylor Hall 7 years

right. and i'm not arguing that.

what i was saying is the agency (hell the agent) that did Crosby, Malkin and Tavares. (Meehan was Stamkos, but same agency), all had five years. until a week ago or whatever, Matthews was represented by that agency so regardless of the trend, the likihood of him (agent) pushing for more of a shorter deal was higher than following the trends (basically set by Edmonton if you think about it). And you can't say with certainty that they were always going to stay there (because of reasons) but if Matthews did five it's totally obvious he's going to split.

heck, for all we know the reason why Matthews moved from Brisson to the Orr Group wasn't to get McDavid money but to not follow the trend agency had for doing shorter term deals for the second contract. Brisson doesn't agree, and Matthews went "see ya".

i'm just saying. the bigger names that opted for faster free agency never left their team, and the only one that might will be because that team was a gong show for so long, only won 11 playoff games in his tenure there (If i read that right), and doesn't even have a stable arena for the next 5 years. So the idea that if Matthews signed for five automatically spells trouble, isn't so either.

and to this point

well you have to do it in eight years or he walks, so it doesn't really matter.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
You could not be more wrong if you tried. The story is true and he has more connections in MLSE then most.

One More thing this is all coming from Mathews family and they have used Sportsnet as their source to leak info all along.

No, he literally had nobody on the inside who has any info. He's a hack. People who know that industry know it.

Let's just see what happens and then we can review.

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
So this means Matthews is going to leave money on the table like Mcdavid did?
We keep hearing about this money that mcdavid left on the table... so now thanks to Connor, EDM can spend a whole 1m extra a year on players to help build a winner?

Tavares to Marner

Dec 20, 2011
Hamilton
If I were putting myself in Matthews agent shoes then he might ask the Leafs for something like this on and gradually increasing scale per year.

RFA years ($60 mil)
Year #1 = $10 mil
Year #2 = $11 mil
Year #3 = $12 mil
Year#4 = $ 13 mil
Year#5 = $ 14 mil
+
UFA years ($45 mil)
Year #6 = $15 mil
Year #7 = $15 mil
Year #8 = $15 mil

8 years @ $105 mil = $13.125 AAV on term or $60 mil over 5 years @ $12 mil AAV.

What would Leafs counter offer on a 3 year bridge or 8 year term that Matthews would agree to sign?

PS. McDavid contract is $100 mil/8 years but starting this year with AAV $12.5 mil.

If mcdavid is 12.5 Matthews is 9

Reactions: hullsy47

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
would make sense Matthews would be looking @ McDavid money since the caps going up and McDavids deal is now a bargain if it doesnt take up the max % a contract can take up

Tavares to Marner

Dec 20, 2011
Hamilton
Matthews shouldn't get a dime over 9 million. If his agent says : " Eichel got 10 million." Leafs can say: " Well Buffalo was off their rockers. Matthews has never gotten over 69 points ( Or maybe it's 60). He's been a ghost in the playoffs".

Least someone has some sense

"Yeah let's do what buffalo Did!!" Look how great buffalos been since that contract

HC7

May 2, 2018
Matthews shouldn't get a dime over 9 million. If his agent says : " Eichel got 10 million." Leafs can say: " Well Buffalo was off their rockers. Matthews has never gotten over 69 points ( Or maybe it's 60). He's been a ghost in the playoffs".

"Judging by how Buffalo and Edmonton have done over the last decade, and how their roster is currently set-up, I think your client could appreciate not being on either of those teams."

HC7

May 2, 2018
would make sense Matthews would be looking @ McDavid money since the caps going up and McDavids deal is now a bargain if it doesnt take up the max % a contract can take up

Makes sense someone with a Jays avi has this opinion, takes a real pyscho to support the Jays.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
right. and i'm not arguing that.

what i was saying is the agency (hell the agent) that did Crosby, Malkin and Tavares. (Meehan was Stamkos, but same agency), all had five years. until a week ago or whatever, Matthews was represented by that agency so regardless of the trend, the likihood of him (agent) pushing for more of a shorter deal was higher than following the trends (basically set by Edmonton if you think about it). And you can't say with certainty that they were always going to stay there (because of reasons) but if Matthews did five it's totally obvious he's going to split.

heck, for all we know the reason why Matthews moved from Brisson to the Orr Group wasn't to get McDavid money but to not follow the trend agency had for doing shorter term deals for the second contract. Brisson doesn't agree, and Matthews went "see ya".

i'm just saying. the bigger names that opted for faster free agency never left their team, and the only one that might will be because that team was a gong show for so long, only won 11 playoff games in his tenure there (If i read that right), and doesn't even have a stable arena for the next 5 years. So the idea that if Matthews signed for five automatically spells trouble, isn't so either.

and to this point

well you have to do it in eight years or he walks, so it doesn't really matter.
Daisy all first overall picks are resigning for 8 years now. Why we would consider a contract that gives him all the power in 3 less years is silly and the people involved should be removed. Talk about poor asset management.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Daisy all first overall picks are resigning for 8 years now. Why we would consider a contract that gives him all the power in 3 less years is silly and the people involved should be removed. Talk about poor asset management.

(sigh)
I know that.
i've said that
i've acknowledged that

what you are not acknowledging what i am saying is that until Matthews changed agencies, the agency (and the agent) he had signed their first overall picks for 5 year deals. all of them. and I doubt that this was something that their teams wanted but that's what happened. and all but 1 stayed with the team. So the chances of Matthews doing a 5 year deal was a lot higher than following the trends of the others simply by who his agent/agency was, and

and all I am saying - to be clear, is that maybe this was why he moved to McDavids group. not to get his type of money but maybe Brisson was pushing for a 5 year deal and Matthews didn't, and he left so Orr (and his group) can sign a longer (more lucrative) deal. but if he did, it wouldn't be a big deal because other players did it and stayed right where they are. it wasn't drama. the only reason why Tavares is, is because the Islanders sucked butt. and he could still stay.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
No, he literally had nobody on the inside who has any info. He's a hack. People who know that industry know it.

Let's just see what happens and then we can review.
Well I guess you holding your self out as someone in the know is a joke as he has many more contacts then most, the mans Job was to build relationships with all teams.

The Mathews are seeking out people from sports networks to get their story out. They were upset on how the leafs handled his concussion and it was Kipper who was the first Media person to say he was concussed ( I said it right from the jump) then again Kipper who said Babcock and Mathews was not getting along. Then Elliott said about Babcock was going to visit with Mathews( just how would anyone know Babcock was going to do this without hearing it from either the Mathews or Babcock himself). Now Shannon saying the meeting did not go well. Again it was not Babcock who is talking but again the Mathews camp.

Most on here Blame the media but they are reporting what they have been told.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Well I guess you holding your self out as someone in the know is a joke as he has many more contacts then most, the mans Job was to build relationships with all teams.

The Mathews are seeking out people from sports networks to get their story out. They were upset on how the leafs handled his concussion and it was Kipper who was the first Media person to say he was concussed ( I said it right from the jump) then again Kipper who said Babcock and Mathews was not getting along. Then Elliott said about Babcock was going to visit with Mathews( just how would anyone know Babcock was going to do this without hearing it from either the Mathews or Babcock himself). Now Shannon saying the meeting did not go well. Again it was not Babcock who is talking but again the Mathews camp.

Most on here Blame the media but they are reporting what they have been told.
It was also Kypreos who said this about Hunter being the GM instead of Dubas.

“A lot of executives I’ve spoken with believe that when it comes to the next general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs, it goes in the favour of Mark Hunter, for no other reason than his resume,” Kypreos said during the Headlines segment of Hockey Night in Canada on Saturday night.

Leafs run the risk of losing Mark Hunter - Sportsnet.ca

Notice how he says "executives I've spoken with" I take that to mean it's what he actually believes wanted confirmation that others thought his way on the chance he was wrong and we all know he was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad