Speculation: Elliotte Friedman on Matthews speculation with his next contract

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
It was also Kypreos who said this about Hunter being the GM instead of Dubas.

Leafs run the risk of losing Mark Hunter - Sportsnet.ca

Notice how he says "executives I've spoken with" I take that to mean it's what he actually believes wanted confirmation that others thought his way on the chance he was wrong and we all know he was.
He is not wrong...lots would favour Hunter over Dubas as he is far more known then Dubas. Lou was one of them by the way!

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
He is not wrong...lots would favour Hunter over Dubas as he is far more known then Dubas. Lou was one of them by the way!
I think Kypreos was very much exaggerating that and it was his own belief that he thought Hunter would be named the GM. So by saying he spoke with other executives it was his way of covering himself incase he was wrong and Dubas got the job, which we all know that happened. I mean why did no other teams like Carolina and Minnesota not request to speak with Hunter when they were looking for a GM, if Hunter is this great executive as other described him? Also Kypreos and Hunter have history together going back to their playing days, so it's kind of like the old boys club and why he wanted to see Hunter as the GM and not Dubas.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I think Kypreos was very much exaggerating that and it was his own belief that he thought Hunter would be named the GM. So by saying he spoke with other executives it was his way of covering himself incase he was wrong and Dubas got the job, which we all know that happened. I mean why did no other teams like Carolina and Minnesota not request to speak with Hunter when they were looking for a GM, if Hunter is this great executive as other described him? Also Kypreos and Hunter have history together going back to their playing days, so it's kind of like the old boys club and why he wanted to see Hunter as the GM and not Dubas.
Funny that you say playing days as Hunter has relationships with many NHL executives because of his playing days, hence why other executives would think that way. You made my point for me thanks!

We have no idea if other teams wanted to speak with Hunter but test he will be signed by another NHL team and quickly if he wants to.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Funny that you say playing days as Hunter has relationships with many NHL executives because of his playing days, hence why other executives would think that way. You made my point for me thanks!

We have no idea if other teams wanted to speak with Hunter but test he will be signed by another NHL team and quickly if he wants to.
I'm not sure why people think connections inherently makes someone a better candidate or deserving of praise

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

If you forget their management experience at the OHL level, technically Dubas has more experience than Hunter in management at the NHL level. Remember that Shanahan hired Dubas in July 2014, Hunter was not hired until October 2014. So when Kypreos mentions how other executives were talking about Hunter's experience it needs to be taken with a grain of salt based on that.

Also it was reported that the Coyotes wanted to interview Dubas for their GM postion and the Avalanche wanted to give Dubas the keys to run their team. So I will say again why did Carolina and Minnesota not even want to ask for permission to speak with Hunter?

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I'm not sure why people think connections inherently makes someone a better candidate or deserving of praise

Hard to say anything about a person you do not know nothing about and easier by far to promote or praise someone you know, it is simple human nature.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
If you forget their management experience at the OHL level, technically Dubas has more experience than Hunter in management at the NHL level. Remember that Shanahan hired Dubas in July 2014, Hunter was not hired until October 2014. So when Kypreos mentions how other executives were talking about Hunter's experience it needs to be taken with a grain of salt based on that.

Also it was reported that the Coyotes wanted to interview Dubas for their GM postion and the Avalanche wanted to give Dubas the keys to run their team. So I will say again why did Carolina and Minnesota not even want to ask for permission to speak with Hunter?
Why forget their OHL experience and not to mention NHL experience as playing the game at the highest level counts for a lot And Hunter had vastly more experience running and selecting players. Nothing needs to be taken with a grain of salt as Hunter had a better resume with more experience.

I am not interested in rehashing the debate where I said that I was not in favour of either candidate, but Kipper was not wrong and remember Lou was one of them.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Why forget their OHL experience and not to mention NHL experience as playing the game at the highest level counts for a lot And Hunter had vastly more experience running and selecting players. Nothing needs to be taken with a grain of salt as Hunter had a better resume with more experience.

I am not interested in rehashing the debate where I said that I was not in favour of either candidate, but Kipper was not wrong and remember Lou was one of them.
I'm just saying if you look at it rationally you can't say Hunter has more managment experience than Dubas at the NHL level since Shanahan hired Dubas in July 2014 and Hunter in October 2014. That's why I said if you forget their managment experience at the OHL which is nothing compared to the NHL.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
But yet no NHL teams asked to speak with HUnter about their vacant GM positions. 2 did with Dubas and he's 23 years younger.
Let's face it, Kypreos spoke to his "Old School" NHL crew. Of course they like Hunter more. But Dubas is THE best young candiodate in the NHl right now and it's not close. In 2018 you choose him.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
But yet no NHL teams asked to speak with HUnter about their vacant GM positions. 2 did with Dubas and he's 23 years younger.
Let's face it, Kypreos spoke to his "Old School" NHL crew. Of course they like Hunter more. But Dubas is THE best young candiodate in the NHl right now and it's not close. In 2018 you choose him.

you hope.
as Shanahan didn't interview anyone else - he better be right.
and i doubt very much Shanahan hired anyone because he's 'young'.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Let's not forget those people on the main boards who were all of the sudden huge fans of Mark Hunter once he decided to quit when the Leafs choose Dubas over him and said how could Shanahan let that happen and what a mistake he made.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
you hope.
as Shanahan didn't interview anyone else - he better be right.
and i doubt very much Shanahan hired anyone because he's 'young'.
From what we know Shanahan only interviewed Dubas and Hunter for the Leafs GM position. However maybe he interviewed other people and it never got leaked out. Look at how he kept it a secret that he interviewed Lamoriello in 2015.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Yet both men failed to convince Shanny that was indeed the best option for the Leafs.

The argument obviously wasn’t as strong as many assumed.
Shanny is the president he gets to make that decision.

I believe that Lou was pushed out as a result of a difference of opinion and it is centered around the Mathews. Just my opinion based on adding up the events that transpired.

I also believe that Shanny picked who he felt was the best person for the job Dubas. I will give Dubas the benefit of doubt until he shows he does not deserve it. Like I said before i was not in favour of either Hunter or Dubas as the GM.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Well I guess you holding your self out as someone in the know is a joke as he has many more contacts then most, the mans Job was to build relationships with all teams.

The Mathews are seeking out people from sports networks to get their story out. They were upset on how the leafs handled his concussion and it was Kipper who was the first Media person to say he was concussed ( I said it right from the jump) then again Kipper who said Babcock and Mathews was not getting along. Then Elliott said about Babcock was going to visit with Mathews( just how would anyone know Babcock was going to do this without hearing it from either the Mathews or Babcock himself). Now Shannon saying the meeting did not go well. Again it was not Babcock who is talking but again the Mathews camp.

Most on here Blame the media but they are reporting what they have been told.

Again, Shannon has no insight from either side as how the meeting went. Matthews is a pro. He's not running taking to Shannon of all people after that conversation. That meeting was the most overblown thing maybe in the history of Toronto media. But if you want to drink the Toronto media koolaid go for it.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Again, Shannon has no insight from either side as how the meeting went. Matthews is a pro. He's not running taking to Shannon of all people after that conversation. That meeting was the most overblown thing maybe in the history of Toronto media. But if you want to drink the Toronto media koolaid go for it.
lol you know nothing and you just proved it.
There is Koolaid left you drank it all.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Anyone else worried about Matthew's vs Babcock issues? Is it the media hyping it up or is there a real problem? Apparently the summer meeting went just OK and Matthew's concerns were ice time and linemates. It's obvious he wants Marner on his wing. Worries me a bit if there is a disconnect though. We finally have a stud center and if rumors are true it could affect term and money with his next contract and more than that..his overall play if he and Babcock are not on the same page

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Anyone else worried about Matthew's vs Babcock issues? Is it the media hyping it up or is there a real problem? Apparently the summer meeting went just OK and Matthew's concerns were ice time and linemates. It's obvious he wants Marner on his wing. Worries me a bit if there is a disconnect though. We finally have a stud center and if rumors are true it could affect term and money with his next contract and more than that..his overall play if he and Babcock are not on the same page
I'm not worried at all because the only person reporting this was John Shannon, the same person who said it was 100% going to happen that Roberto Luongo would be traded to the Leafs. So that right there shows how creditable his reporting is. To me this is no different to when Babcock had Marner and Nylander on the 4th line and the media was wondering if there was a problem because of that.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
I'm not worried at all because the only person reporting this was John Shannon, the same person who said it was 100% going to happen that Roberto Luongo was going to be a Toronto Maple Leaf. So that right there shows how creditable his reporting is. To me this is no different to when Babcock had Marner and Nylander on the 4th line and the media was wondering if there was a problem because of that.

He was correct about Lu. Mike Gillis took to long..offer was a 1st and Jake Gardiner and Nazem I do believe. Thank God Gillis was a moron lol.

I wonder if we have a real shot at JT. If we did get him it would mean no big RHD acquisition unless Nylander was traded. The money could work for a JT and say Hanifin, Doughty or Karlsson. But that would mean we let all our UFAs walk as well.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
I'm not worried at all because the only person reporting this was John Shannon, the same person who said it was 100% going to happen that Roberto Luongo would be traded to the Leafs. So that right there shows how creditable his reporting is. To me this is no different to when Babcock had Marner and Nylander on the 4th line and the media was wondering if there was a problem because of that.

Also Marner and Nylander during those 4th line games deserved to be not playing on the top lines. Marner found his game..Nylander did sort of..he was off and on.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
He was correct about Lu. Mike Gillis took to long..offer was a 1st and Jake Gardiner and Nazem I do believe. Thank God Gillis was a moron lol.

I wonder if we have a real shot at JT. If we did get him it would mean no big RHD acquisition unless Nylander was traded. The money could work for a JT and say Hanifin, Doughty or Karlsson. But that would mean we let all our UFAs walk as well.
I remember him reporting the Leafs were still getting Luongo after that deal feel through, because it was before the Leafs traded for Jonathan Bernier instead.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
I remember him reporting the Leafs were still getting Luongo after that deal feel through, because it was before the Leafs traded for Jonathan Bernier instead.

You could very well be right. Either way...I hope its just media vs with Matthew's vs Babcock. We will find out next yr if he is fully healthy and still has issues. Near the end and in the playoffs he looked slow and was giving the puck away with bad passes very not like him. Though I do recall the final 2 season games he and Wille were shredding the opposition with skill and quickness. I think Game 1 when he got hit it aggravated his back or shoulder..then lights out. But I agree with him wanting to be with Marner..it should be so.

Hyman Matthew's Marner
4check-elite shooter-elite passer

The wrench was Bozak. He was horrible except with his FO%. Our issue is if we sustain 2 injuries at center say Matthew's and Kadri (which did occur) we are a completely different team. We lack center depth. It is as bad or worse than our D depth (RHD)

Which is why I cant figure out our next big move. Do we trade up for Bouchard? Do we throw money at JT and one of the big 4 Hanifin Doughty Oel and Karlsson (big trade that would involve Johnsson, Kap or Willie plus a Dermott or Gardiner and a high pick? Or does the Tyson Barrie thing have legs? If it did I cant see Colorado giving him up not with his chemistry esp on the PP with MacKinnon. Literally dumbfounded st how hard this offseason will be for Dubas. We have what 8 or 9 ufa all together. They cant all walk. An option could be sign and trade JVR as well..but holy hell

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->