Eller's Arbitration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halifaxhab*

So on one hand, MB is a shrewd, savvy negotiator who stared down Subban with his "take it or leave it" bridge deal...

...but is now utterly incapable of taking the same stance with a player who's less integral to the organization and is coming off a worse season?

Or, perhaps, and this is kind of an out there idea, he didn't do that with either player.

NLHabsFan

Nov 18, 2008
Alberta
I'm optimistic about our scoring next year, mostly because Beaulieu-Gilbert gives us a 2nd PP unit capable of doing the job.

What about 5-on-5 scoring? I do believe the more mobile defence will help our offence but the forward group does not inspire confidence right now.

Halifaxhab*

What about 5-on-5 scoring? I do believe the more mobile defence will help our offence but the forward group does not inspire confidence right now.

Here's hoping the addition of PAP, Sekac and top6 mins for Chucky adds some speed and hands capable of playing off the rush.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I question things that need to be questioned...The Subban contract negotiations brings up a lot of questions and discussion

This Lars Eller arbitration situation...does not. Not today.

There was nothing earth shattering about the numbers that came out today...NOTHING at all.

There was no 'low-ball'...there was no 'outreageous demands' from Eller. Just standard negotiation.

I agree.

Personally, given the numbers that are here, I really hope we elect to go for 2 years contract. I think Eller will be a bargain even at 3M. If lower then great... even better. I'd like to see more from Eller but he clearly has potential to be more.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
So on one hand, MB is a shrewd, savvy negotiator who stared down Subban with his "take it or leave it" bridge deal...

...but is now utterly incapable of taking the same stance with a player who's less integral to the organization and is coming off a worse season?

Not to change the subject but I want to ask you a question...

How will YOUR life change if Eller is signed for $2.2-$2.5 million instead of the $3.1 he is asking for?

It appears that a lot of people are arguing for Eller as if their life's well-being or survival depends upon it.

Eller will be signed and he will be a Hab for the next one or two years regardless.

NLHabsFan

Nov 18, 2008
Alberta
Here's hoping the addition of PAP, Sekac and top6 mins for Chucky adds some speed and hands capable of playing off the rush.

Hopefully Chucky stays healthy and takes the next step into a scoring role, Sekac adjusts without much problem to the NHL, PAP uses his "dream come true" to put up his best season yet, and Eller and Bourque carry over their PO performances into next season.

Sorry for derailing the thread.

Back towards the topic, what is the Other option lol and what do the 4 people that voted think can happen?

Halifaxhab*

Hopefully Chucky stays healthy and takes the next step into a scoring role, Sekac adjusts without much problem to the NHL, PAP uses his "dream come true" to put up his best season yet, and Eller and Bourque carry over their PO performances into next season.

Sorry for derailing the thread.

Back towards the topic, what is the Other option lol and what do the 4 people that voted think can happen?

Bergy teabags him?

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Didn't we pay Bouillon more last year?

I'd give Eller 2.5 easy. I'd have no issue paying more than 3.1, actually.

Halifaxhab*

Didn't we pay Bouillon more last year?

I'd give Eller 2.5 easy. I'd have no issue paying more than 3.1, actually.

No. And if so that would definately be an insult. And it makes sense for both sides to over/under the number thayt well end up with.....likely close to that 2.5

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
UFA versus RFA? If I recall correctly, DD was going RFA when he signed, that's worth some $. Plus he just came out of a 60 point season. He's a 60 point guy, Eller never tallied more than 30 but does have size in defensive play in his favor. Eller sucked at Top-6 minutes almost every time he was put in that spot but played well on the 3rd line. His hockey IQ is too low. He's also hugely inconsistent. Hence why his salary ceiling is limited.
He'd produce more if we gave him better opportunities.

Even in the role that he's in though, give him 3 mil and call it a day. You don't want a reputation as an organization that nickels and dimes its players.
So you think he's unhappy because he's eventually going to sign for 500k to 1M more than the 1.65M offer the Habs submitted to the arbitrator today?

There's not much separating both sides... You realize this, right?
Relatively speaking, 1 million dollars is close to double what MB is going into arbitration with. He wants 3 mil? Give it to him. That's fair and if we give him more opportunity it could be a bargain.

Hopefully this doesn't go to arbitration...
Probably what he's offering Subban.
:laugh: I had a good laugh on this one.

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY
Not to change the subject but I want to ask you a question...

How will YOUR life change if Eller is signed for $2.2-$2.5 million instead of the $3.1 he is asking for?

It appears that a lot of people are arguing for Eller as if their life's well-being or survival depends upon it.

Eller will be signed and he will be a Hab for the next one or two years regardless.

I generally don't come to the Habs board for anything that will affect my life, do you? Should no one discuss hockey unless it has a direct impact on their lives?

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I'm happy most of you don't control my company's financial strings. My goodness. This ain't Monopoly money.

Like Briere, Desharnais, Emelin, Or Bourques contracts are any good? Bergevin signed 3 of them by the way.

Eller is worth more than 2.6m, it's not Monopoly money to suggest so.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I'm happy most of you don't control my company's financial strings. My goodness. This ain't Monopoly money.

The best route to take if you want your UFA's to stick around is not the one where you nickel and dime them.

That's the direction a team who only craves lottery picks should take.

Roulin

Mar 21, 2007
Montreal
Yes, because we'll miss Gionta and Briere :laugh:

The Habs were 23rd in goals at ES, 21st on the PP... so we wouldn't have to miss those players for scoring to be a weakness. Like I said before, I think our D will generate more offence this season, especially on the PP. Not sure that we'll be able to turn ES scoring into a real strength yet.

Halifaxhab*

No, in both cases he apparently failed to negotiate.

There is a big difference between failing to negotiate and failing to reach an agreement in a certain time frame. There are many little things in each file that would cause it.

In this case for Eller, I would guess (as there was no rumours or leaks out there) that MB valued Eller as a 3rd C, and Eller wanted to reach the higher end of the pay scale of that position with an added little plus for some top 6 potential. He likely offered him Sutter type money (2-2.5M).

The arbitration numbers point there as it's normal for the player/management to high/low ball and arbtration number in hopes that the arbitrator gets to their number.

They may still come to a deal before the meeting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad