Player Discussion Elias Pettersson | Sooner rather than Later Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

KaraLupin

카라
Jun 4, 2009
Vancouver
Friedman saying teams are calling the Canucks on Pettersson, but they've been telling teams they're trying to sign him. Deny it all you guys want, something just does not feel right about this situation.
Something does not feel right about the team telling people calling on a superstar on expiring contract that they would still rather negotiate with him in off-season then entertain trade proposals? Okay then.

As always, a chunk of the fanbase runs around with their head cut off encouraging an air of uncertainty. See you after playoffs.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Something does not feel right about the team telling people calling on a superstar on expiring contract that they would still rather negotiate with him in off-season then entertain trade proposals? Okay then.

As always, a chunk of the fanbase runs around with their head cut off encouraging an air of uncertainty. See you after playoffs.

Why are teams calling in the first place? There's clearly GMs in the league who feel the same sense that Canucks fans do about Pettersson potentially wanting out - otherwise why would you even bother calling about a team's franchise player? Teams weren't calling on Matthew Tkachuk until he requested a trade, for example. I'd love to see Pettersson re-sign, and that would be by far best case scenario. But there's also a very realistic world in which he just wants out from here, and it is what it is if that is the case.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Why are teams calling in the first place? There's clearly GMs in the league who feel the same sense that Canucks fans do about Pettersson potentially wanting out - otherwise why would you even bother calling about a team's franchise player? Teams weren't calling on Matthew Tkachuk until he requested a trade, for example. I'd love to see Pettersson re-sign, and that would be by far best case scenario. But there's also a very realistic world in which he just wants out from here, and it is what it is if that is the case.
I'd make calls about just about every player with even the slightest bit of smoke around their name. You expect that 99.9% of these calls go nowhere but if don't ask you could miss on a player that wasn't yet on the open market.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

…. Elias petterson has been quoted saying he wants to negotiate during the off season. Something the team has done in the past with their star players. Example being

Naslund
Daniel sedin
Henrik sedin heck those guys signed a contract one day into ufa.
Roberto luongo
Quinn Hughes signed during the off season.
Jt miller was signed during the off season
Brock boeser was also signed during the off season.

So petterson like every other star Canuck player wants to negotiate during the off season.

meanwhile like literally stupid STUPID Canuck fans ready to ship off ? What exactly do you think we will get for pettersson? Whatever package we are getting will downgrade the team. So we sign him in the off season. That’s what’s happening.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I remember when Bure was done with Vancouver it wasn't a pretty scene. I could only imagine what it will be like if Pettersson reveals he doesn't want to be a Canuck at the end of the season, I think it will be worse than the Bure exit. Pettersson would probably hear Boo's everytime he came back to Vancouver

Hoping all of this could be avoided and he resigns with the Canucks.

Rumours bure threatened to hold out sit himself if he didn’t get the contract he signed essentially the entire fan base trusted the made up story. Bure got sick of Vancouver and shitty fans.

Just look at us in 2024. We haven’t learned anything what’s worst , the Canucks chose to believe the media instead of the player wanted something every other canuck got to do, which was sign negotiate during the off season.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
For everyone getting upset that a whole big media circus is being made of all of this...

Pettersson can put a stop to everything with literally one sentence.

Hell, he could post a cryptic photo on Instagram with the caption "beautiful city" and people would eat it up.

He very clearly has heard all the chatter and has chosen to say nothing, even though it could be a distraction to the team about to embark on (hopefully a deep) playoff run.

He has every right to keep his silence, but nobody should be surprised that questions will be asked when he has been given everything he asked for and then some, and still refused to engage.

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015
Can't blame him for wanting to leave Vancouver with the fans and media here. He'd enjoy himself more in the southern US which is where he will swing a sign and trade deal sometime after this season.

platotld

Fly Canucks Fly
Jun 18, 2014
Fraser valley
Can't blame him for wanting to leave Vancouver with the fans and media here. He'd enjoy himself more in the southern US which is where he will swing a sign and trade deal sometime after this season.

Oh Booo Hooo .. the media talks about millionare players and a billion dollar team. Thats the cost of being in the NHL And if that is why he wants out... he can kiss the blarney stone on the road to where ever.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
My vibe with petey is that he’s a pretty quiet guy, loves fashion, loves branding, I feel maybe he wants to go to like Los Angeles maybe, or New York, somewhere to build his brand up.

Just an intuition, I hope he signs for eight years here

Last edited:

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
My vibe with petey is that he’s a pretty quiet guy, loves fashion, loves branding, I feel maybe he wants to go to like Los Angeles maybe, or New York, somewhere to build his brand up.

Barzal would be a decent return or Byfield Carlsson

Last edited by a moderator:

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
These boards are hilarious.
I love when I used to call out what doomers everyone are and it was all just, 'it's all because of Benning and I bear no personal responsibility for my rhetoric'.

Now we're a top team in the league and our star isn't signing in season, which he said he wouldn't, and everyone is tearing their hair out. Why is this board so mercurial?

I admit it seems like the Petey thing is a bit strange and it becomes possible that he wants to leave. IF that's true, we will cross that bridge when we come to it.

But all of this, 'it's a massive distraction!' stuff is just showing incredibly poor theory of mind. Like, it being distracting to you in your armchair may not be pleasant but it's completely irrelevant. Is it distracting to the team? Which team are we talking about, the one that's literally sitting atop the league? I guess it's probably not doing too much to them unless you think that without that distraction we would be 60-0-0.

Bure was my favorite player when I was young and him leaving was very painful.

Petey is my favorite player now and if he chooses to leave I will be disappointed for sure. But at the end of the day, there's no strong indication that's true other than bored/irrelevant media members playing this market like a flute.

And if it does happen, then he's not the guy we thought he was and hopefully we get some good assets in return.

For the record, the person I know who has some connection to the upper braintrust of the team said they would be 'very surprised' if petey left.

Doesn't mean it's impossible or that my contact is correct, but it's probably just as relevant as the fourth period (when is the last time they were right?) saying some bullshit about a contract that nobody else corroborates.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
For everyone getting upset that a whole big media circus is being made of all of this...

Pettersson can put a stop to everything with literally one sentence.

Hell, he could post a cryptic photo on Instagram with the caption "beautiful city" and people would eat it up.

He very clearly has heard all the chatter and has chosen to say nothing, even though it could be a distraction to the team about to embark on (hopefully a deep) playoff run.

He has every right to keep his silence, but nobody should be surprised that questions will be asked when he has been given everything he asked for and then some, and still refused to engage.
Exactly! This gaslighting of fans, as if there's no reason to be concerned - especially when management themselves have indicated the whole situation is a little weird - is ridiculous. Don't treat people like idiots.

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013

His brand…bleh. If that’s the case, I’m happy to ship him out. I want players focused less on their brand and more on the team.

Reactions: nucks88 and Jay26

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
His brand…bleh. If that’s the case, I’m happy to ship him out. I want players focused less on their brand and more on the team.
I’m probably wrong, it’s just an intuition that’s all

Obviously, I hope he signs for eight years

Last edited:
Reactions: lawrence

lawrence

May 19, 2012
The emotional energy being expended on the “will he / won’t he re-sign” topic could power a small city.
unfortunately the gullible Canuck fans trust David Pagnotta more than Elias Pettersson.

no matter what trade happens, we will not be getting anything as good in return as Elias Petterson it wont even be close. with his departure, JT Millers and Quinn Hughes production will also drop a long with us losing a 100 point player.

These boards are hilarious.
I love when I used to call out what doomers everyone are and it was all just, 'it's all because of Benning and I bear no personal responsibility for my rhetoric'.

Now we're a top team in the league and our star isn't signing in season, which he said he wouldn't, and everyone is tearing their hair out. Why is this board so mercurial?

I admit it seems like the Petey thing is a bit strange and it becomes possible that he wants to leave. IF that's true, we will cross that bridge when we come to it.

But all of this, 'it's a massive distraction!' stuff is just showing incredibly poor theory of mind. Like, it being distracting to you in your armchair may not be pleasant but it's completely irrelevant. Is it distracting to the team? Which team are we talking about, the one that's literally sitting atop the league? I guess it's probably not doing too much to them unless you think that without that distraction we would be 60-0-0.

Bure was my favorite player when I was young and him leaving was very painful.

Petey is my favorite player now and if he chooses to leave I will be disappointed for sure. But at the end of the day, there's no strong indication that's true other than bored/irrelevant media members playing this market like a flute.

And if it does happen, then he's not the guy we thought he was and hopefully we get some good assets in return.

For the record, the person I know who has some connection to the upper braintrust of the team said they would be 'very surprised' if petey left.

Doesn't mean it's impossible or that my contact is correct, but it's probably just as relevant as the fourth period (when is the last time they were right?) saying some bullshit about a contract that nobody else corroborates.

a lot of monkeys also on canucks reddit. They don't realize the magnitude of a Elias Pettersson. This is the 2nd time in our 55 year team history that one of our drafted players will hit 100 points on more than once. Pettersson might achieve this and he's only 25. He is a true franchise player and the fans are ready to give up on him on a David f in pagnotta rumour that has no names attached, he goes by "a close source of mine"

we are on a mission to win a Stanley damn cup! the best centreman we ever drafted quite possibility and we ready to give up on him. unreal.

Pettersson said he liked the city. He looked honest when he said that.
he was also very honest when he said he doesn't want to be the captain.

We will be getting a damn package for him! the greatest player in our history, does anyone remember the trade? It almost didn't work out. We lucked out on Jovo turning ok, but overall it was a disaster.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
unfortunately the gullible Canuck fans trust David Pagnotta more than Elias Pettersson.

no matter what trade happens, we will not be getting anything as good in return as Elias Petterson it wont even be close. with his departure, JT Millers and Quinn Hughes production will also drop a long with us losing a 100 point player.

a lot of monkeys also on canucks reddit. They don't realize the magnitude of a Elias Pettersson. This is the 2nd time in our 55 year team history that one of our drafted players will hit 100 points on more than once. Pettersson might achieve this and he's only 25. He is a true franchise player and the fans are ready to give up on him on a David f in pagnotta rumour that has no names attached, he goes by "a close source of mine"

we are on a mission to win a Stanley damn cup! the best centreman we ever drafted quite possibility and we ready to give up on him. unreal.

Pettersson said he liked the city. He looked honest when he said that.
he was also very honest when he said he doesn't want to be the captain.

We will be getting a damn package for him! the greatest player in our history, does anyone remember the trade? It almost didn't work out. We lucked out on Jovo turning ok, but overall it was a disaster.

Ah yes

Pavel Bure, Bret Hedican, Brad Ference, 3rd rounder for Ed Jovanovski, Dave Gagner, Kevin Weekes, Mike Brown, and a 1st (Nathan Smith)

Oh I remember and I hated that day.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
I’m probably wrong, it’s just an intuition that’s all, Obviously, I hope he signs for eight years

Its what ive been talking about for months.

I dont want a hockey player/influencer. I want a hockey player like Miller.

Not one who posts his outfits or new @bose headphones on social media. Shit is wack AF

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Its the natural story arc of every player drafted here:

1. Pure bliss. Honeymoon phase. All people see is the potential.
2. We start to question why is said player not used more. Are the coaches holding him back?
3. He gets paid. And now slowly people just start to focus on his flaws.
4. He gets ran out of town and the canuck fans are happy that this 'enigmatic russian' or goalie 'who cant perform in big games' is no longer our problem.
I'm worried that #3 will be what happens even if Petey re-signs in the summer. People are already "concerned" about his play recently, imagine him having the same type of cold streak but at a $12m cap hit. Unless he takes his game to another level, he is going to get so much heat going forward. Especially with JTM, who looks like the heart-and-soul type of our forward group, leading the charge with clutch plays at a $8m cap hit.

Could get ugly.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I'm worried that #3 will be what happens even if Petey re-signs in the summer. People are already "concerned" about his play recently, imagine him having the same type of cold streak but at a $12m cap hit. Unless he takes his game to another level, he is going to get so much heat going forward. Especially with JTM, who looks like the heart-and-soul type of our forward group, leading the charge with clutch plays at a $8m cap hit.

Could get ugly.
Its also a culture thing.

EP's lack of visible 'passion' vs JT Millers leadership stick swings.

North american fans didnt like how low key personalities Sedins and Näslund were either. Scandinavian people are reserved like that.

Reactions: supercanuck

Drew Doubty

Apr 4, 2010
Vancouver, B.C.
Him not saying anything now during this current media frenzy could be spite driven. He's mad at management for leaking their displeasure to the media which makes him out to be the bad guy and ramps up the pressure. He said he didn't want to discuss it in-season, and this is making him even more committed to that stance.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Its also a culture thing.

EP's lack of visible 'passion' vs JT Millers leadership stick swings.

North american fans didnt like how low key personalities Sedins and Näslund were either. Scandinavian people are reserved like that.

it’s the same canucks fanbase culture war that used to go on endlessly about how bertuzzi should have been the captain, or kesler vs henrik after it became clear lu had to give up the C and for several years after.

i appreciated all those players, bert during the 18 months he was good, kes most of the time, jtm since tocchet. but there will always be a loud segment of this fanbase that wants a grumpy hothead who is physical on the ice. it is what it is.

fwiw i always thought either ohlund or morrison should have been captain during the crawford years.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Its what ive been talking about for months.

I dont want a hockey player/influencer. I want a hockey player like Miller.

Not one who posts his outfits or new @bose headphones on social media. Shit is wack AF
How can a player possibly focus on a game while...having a picture from 3 weeks ago on the red carpet at the all star game where he has airpods in his ear, right?

Great point.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad