Player Discussion Elias Pettersson | Sooner rather than Later Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Dave Pagnotta is a f--king clown who never gets anything right and all of a sudden we're going to believe another round of his bullshit? Come on people.

It kinda shows how out of touch some Canuck fans are with reality and how quickly they will turn on their own player. I can’t believe this. Some of us have followed the team since late 90s. Virtually every Canuck signed in the off season and suddenly the best player we we have since Pavel bure is suddenly guilty of not signing a contract during a regular season?

A player not wanting to negotiate during the season is normal.

Noooooow we know why bure wanted to gtfo out to Vancouver . Just look at this mess. The fans already turned on Elias petterson ! This is exactly how we treat the best player possibility in franchise history!

The funny thing is some fans think we’re gonna get a haul for pettersson. Again out of touch with reality . We’re not getting f in sht for pettersson

In Peteys own word he doesn’t want to negotiate during the season
4th period.com “he hasn’t signed a 12 million dollar deal ”
The source ? (Someone close to the team)🤡🤡🤡!!!

Source one Elias’s petterson
Source 2 someone close to the team

Canuck fans choose to trust source 2!!!!!!

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
It kinda shows how out of touch some Canuck fans are with reality and how quickly they will turn on their own player. I can’t believe this. Some of us have followed the team since late 90s. Virtually every Canuck signed in the off season and suddenly the best player we we have since Pavel bure is suddenly guilty of not signing a contract during a regular season?

A player not wanting to negotiate during the season is normal.

Noooooow we know why bure wanted to gtfo out to Vancouver . Just look at this mess. The fans already turned on Elias petterson ! This is exactly how we treat the best player possibility in franchise history!

The funny thing is some fans think we’re gonna get a haul for pettersson. Again out of touch with reality . We’re not getting f in sht for pettersson

In Peteys own word he doesn’t want to negotiate during the season
4th period.com “he hasn’t signed a 12 million dollar deal ”
The source ? (Someone close to the team)🤡🤡🤡!!!

Source one Elias’s petterson
Source 2 someone close to the team

Canuck fans choose to trust source 2!!!!!!
Its the natural story arc of every player drafted here:

1. Pure bliss. Honeymoon phase. All people see is the potential.
2. We start to question why is said player not used more. Are the coaches holding him back?
3. He gets paid. And now slowly people just start to focus on his flaws.
4. He gets ran out of town and the canuck fans are happy that this 'enigmatic russian' or goalie 'who cant perform in big games' is no longer our problem.

Last edited:

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
What if they say, look, forget about Lekkermaki and throw in Hughes and we’ll throw in first round pick unprotected

Then I hang up and say **** off.

Hughes is untouchable. Hughes > Bedard.

Hughes is the best defencemen in this league.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
I didn't realize his agent is JP Barry. That explains a lot.

Then I hang up and say **** off.

Hughes is untouchable. Hughes > Bedard.

Hughes is the best defencemen in this league.

I think Bedard is the only asset more valuable than Hughes right now because he's on an ELC.

Hughes has arguably the best contract in the entire league relative to his value. 7.85 million and he's worth 12.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I didn't realize his agent is JP Barry. That explains a lot.

I think Bedard is the only asset more valuable than Hughes right now because he's on an ELC.

Hughes has arguably the best contract in the entire league relative to his value. 7.85 million and he's worth 12.
I think this is true.

He is playing at a Hart level.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Duck Trade Bento Box:

Choose one from Column A, 2 from Column B and 1 from Column C:

Column A:
Leo Carlsson
Trevor Zegras

Column B:
Cutter Gauthier
Pavel Mintyukov
Mason McTavish

Column C:
FRP
Tristan Luneau
Olen Zellweger

• Haha
Reactions: Hodgy

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Just as a comment about negotiating.

Allvin/Rutherford have stated a few times that the team still has control next year as he one more year as a RFA.
This is odd because most fans followed the Dubois contracts, Pettersson and his agent are surely aware of this too so why the statement at all?

It doesn't put or give Vancouver more leverage with EP and if taken as a threat might harden EP's stand.

BUT it could be to enhance a trade with other teams, sort of a blanket statement to ALL GM's that they are getting one more year of control so they better sweeten any phone calls. One statement in public instead of 30 phone calls.

About possible trade partners? Well where does he summer when not in Sweden? No where in BC. Southern Ontario, Buffalo area. Around where the Hughes bros live.

Also Allvin/Rutherford will be looking for youth not older players IMO well under 25 yrs old

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I remember when Bure was done with Vancouver it wasn't a pretty scene. I could only imagine what it will be like if Pettersson reveals he doesn't want to be a Canuck at the end of the season, I think it will be worse than the Bure exit. Pettersson would probably hear Boo's everytime he came back to Vancouver

Hoping all of this could be avoided and he resigns with the Canucks.

Reactions: lawrence

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
This is my feeling too. Players always say stuff like "I just want to focus on the season, I don't want to talk contract now". And then magically they sign a new deal once the terms are right. Even Pettersson's own agent suggested negotiations could happen during the season.

Pretending it's a non-story or usual behavior for an NHL player is not helpful, because this isn't business as usual. When other guys delay, they are either posturing or they want out. I can't believe it's about money, and like the above poster says, what is left? He'll get a no-move clause... and that's about all that's left to decide. This isn't Messi-to-MLS where new ground is being broken, it's a standard NHL player contract.

The best case scenario for the Canucks is that he's legitimately unsure (maybe it's about ownership or other locked-in players on the team or whatever) but then he ultimately decides he wants to stay. But it's a bit like firing a coach -- if you have to ask whether you should do it, you've kind of already made up your mind. I don't believe this is as simple as "I don't want to think about it now, but then I'll totally sign after the season."

idk - i think this is a case of the whiniest market in the nhl drumming up drama when there is nothing wrong with the team, and picking on the guy with some nuance to his personality. pettersson is this era's luongo.

there are lots of factors that could prevent him from wanting to sign right now. cap increases haven't been finalized. the team hasn't done anything in the playoffs yet. maybe he just broke up with a partner and that's why he's been somber or disinterested or whatever else everyone is reading into. hell, maybe he's still betting on himself that he can get hot and hit 50 goals to get to mackinnon money.

he's 25 years old and more or less going to decide where he spends the rest of his 20s. that's not a small decision. i think he's just a bit more of a thoughtful dude and considerate of factors other than the average hockey player mentality of "team first, loyal at all costs" and it's being skewed into painting him as selfish, etc.

there were pages and pages of dialogue here last summer on how we had to go all-in because pettersson clearly said that he needed a winning team - and my argument at the time was the exact same. he never explicitly said that, and whether he stays or not has always felt contingent on a multitude of other factors that we will never know about.

Reactions: quat and thekernel

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
As with almost everything else that's happening, I'll try to take a cautiously optimistic approach.

No matter what Pete decides, I trust our management to be at the very least aware of the consequences. If Pete wants to leave, then they should try to trade him; Pete wants to stay, then they should sign him with a reasonable contract.

If Pete leaves for nothing, it will be a spectacular failure that basically DESTROYS any good will and faith our management had built up thus far.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
So he’s playing the PP with the other Swedes (Not Aman) and Hughes? And player x? Not exactly a demotion. Trying to get teams thinking about which the better unit and how they deploy their PK.

They are trying to jump start the PP. Why not give it a shot for a game or two?

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Pettersson's situation has to be finalized very soon.
There are other contracts waiting to be finished once EP's is resolved.

TDL could be for building after Pettersson.

You know who had massive trade value and isn't even chatted about?

Hronek. On a team that has Hughes and could go after Tanev Hronek becomes a massive trade chip.

RHD with a lot of points and lately his ice time is being very selective and a little supressed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canucks LB

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Keep us in the loop. You switching gears would be refreshing and talking about Hronek instead of constantly whining about a one year window and what Petterson wants is a bit overkill.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

aquaweenie

Feb 23, 2024
Lots of teams will be calling and making offers as we get closer to deadline. What happens if a team makes a monster offer? I think JR takes it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad