Player Discussion Elias Pettersson | Sooner rather than Later Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
If you were offered a blank cheque from the Canucks and you were 100% set on staying you wouldn’t do it at any moment? All I’m saying is I’m sure he’s still undecided because if he was set on staying the negotiations would last about 2 seconds because they’d give him the money he’s asking for.
What’s the source that he was offered a blank cheque ????

100% agree I just don’t buy all this “I want to wait till the season is done” stuff like it’s going to be a gruelling back and forth negotiation with counter offers and term thrown around here and there. The Canucks will happily give him his number and 4 or 8 years. I got the tinfoil hat for sure but it’s just a bit fishy right now.
Are you new to hockey ? Or are you new to following the Canucks ?

• Haha
Reactions: DimitriL07

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Yup. Unless he wants out, you almost never win these trades.
Even if they win the trade I'd be pissed they did such a high risk trade when post-season is right around the corner.
Shit doesnt make any sense.
And if they did it in the off-season, the risk that comes with the trade such doesnt seem like it's worth it,
there are only a handful of players that I'd honestly consider an upgrade over EP40.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Yeah I think unfortunately his relationship with ownership may be playing a role. It doesn't matter how much the FO and on-ice play have improved if Petey came out from those 1-on-1s with the impression that Blueberries is a nincompoop, and it bothers him that's where his paychecks come from.

I do trust Allvin/Rutherford to have the right read on his intentions, though, and to make a move if it really looks like he won't re-sign.
A lot of NHL owners are either A) idiots, B) meddlesome, or C) not good people. I'm no fan of the Aqullinis, but is the ownership under him really worse than Melnyk in Ottawa, Katz in Edmonton, Dolan in NYR, Waltz in Chicago, or the owner in Buffalo? That's just off the top of my head, you also have teams in financial distress like Arizona, or teams that always seems to be constantly losing money like Anaheim/Columbus/etc.

I get it if he wants to leave Vancouver, I'm just really struggling to find another better situation for himself personally if he is forcing a trade out. Apparently he wants a winning team, good ownership, good city to live in, and $12m+, PLUS the team has the required assets and is willing to trade them to the Nucks, PLUS have the cap space to fit him in, PLUS said team is in the right timeline in their competitive cycle to make the trade? I'm not finding maybe possible landing spot for him to be honest.

I still think at the end of the season, he will look at his options and realize that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Vancouver might not check every single boxes, but it should check enough that he will end up staying. Just my speculation though, who knows, maybe Petey is a stubborn guy?

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Even if they win the trade I'd be pissed they did such a high risk trade when post-season is right around the corner.
Shit doesnt make any sense.
And if they did it in the off-season, the risk that comes with the trade such doesnt seem like it's worth it,
there are only a handful of players that I'd honestly consider an upgrade over EP40.
I don’t see an available 25 year old that has 397 points 385 games available for trade at the moment We just gonna get package deal that will significantly downgrade us.

Reactions: LordBacon

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
100% agree I just don’t buy all this “I want to wait till the season is done” stuff like it’s going to be a gruelling back and forth negotiation with counter offers and term thrown around here and there. The Canucks will happily give him his number and 4 or 8 years. I got the tinfoil hat for sure but it’s just a bit fishy right now.
This is my feeling too. Players always say stuff like "I just want to focus on the season, I don't want to talk contract now". And then magically they sign a new deal once the terms are right. Even Pettersson's own agent suggested negotiations could happen during the season.

Pretending it's a non-story or usual behavior for an NHL player is not helpful, because this isn't business as usual. When other guys delay, they are either posturing or they want out. I can't believe it's about money, and like the above poster says, what is left? He'll get a no-move clause... and that's about all that's left to decide. This isn't Messi-to-MLS where new ground is being broken, it's a standard NHL player contract.

The best case scenario for the Canucks is that he's legitimately unsure (maybe it's about ownership or other locked-in players on the team or whatever) but then he ultimately decides he wants to stay. But it's a bit like firing a coach -- if you have to ask whether you should do it, you've kind of already made up your mind. I don't believe this is as simple as "I don't want to think about it now, but then I'll totally sign after the season."

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Look, if he doesn't want to be here he can simply **** off. If he does then resign him.

To Canucks:
Connor Bedard

To Blackhawks:
Elias Pettersson
Tom Willander
Lekkermaki

I would sell all this to get Bedard back home.
What if they say, look, forget about Lekkermaki and throw in Hughes and we’ll throw in first round pick unprotected

Reactions: lawrence

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
That's just it. How is THIS not more distracting then just negotiating and signing a contract?

I don't buy it anymore man.

The distraction is something he doesn't want, but he is also making the biggest decision of his young life. I don't fault him whatsoever for keeping with his own timelines that he had already announced in the offseason. Like I would counsel my son to do the same if he was ever in such a fortuitous position.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
What’s the source that he was offered a blank cheque ????

Are you new to hockey ? Or are you new to following the Canucks ?

yo, why did you just laugh at not responding to any of my valid questions?

if we really want to go back, this all started by 4th period.com which they said, "sitting on a 12 million dollar offer"

the source is "someone close to the team"

are you f in kidding me? that's the source?

also i'm serious. are you new to following the Canucks???

Markus Naslund, signed multiple contracts with the Canucks during the off-season. doesn't like talking during the season.

Both Sedins. All their contracts were signed during the off-season as RFA's and twice as UFA's. stated they dont like talking during regular seasons.

Luongo signed his contract during the off season
. Doesn't like talking during the season as it distracts his game.

Pavel Bure signed his contracts again during the off-season.

Brock Boeser his current contract was also signed during the off-season. July 1st

Are you starting to see a pattern here @DimitriL07 ? or are you too new and too young to know any of this? You see a pattern here right?

JT miller signed his deal last year on Sept 2.
J.T. Miller Contract, Cap Hit, Salary and Stats - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps JT miller another off season signing

Quinn Hughes? to be fair, Benning was trying to sign during the off season and he was signed a 1 week before the start of the season.

but Petterson is not allowed to sign during the off season? Every Great Canuck was able to sign during the off-season and avoided contract negotiations during the season and multiple players in the past have stated it becomes a distraction.

so what gives? I thought we are supposed to stick up for our players and fight the media and not side with the media about this. Pettersson like every other Canuck wants to negotiate during the off-season, let him do it like every other Canuck that wanted to do so. Canuck fans starting to make me sick.

That's just it. How is THIS not more distracting then just negotiating and signing a contract?

I don't buy it anymore man.

Reactions: rypper

lawrence

May 19, 2012
this is Pavel Bure 2.0 going on right now.

during the 94 run, the Media decided to have fun with some bull shit story that Bure threatened to hold out if he didn't get the contract he wanted. Nobody backed him up. the players didn't know any of this. All they knew was Bure was a true Canuck and he played 110% every night. The stupid fans of Vancouver Canucks sided with the media saying he's a selfish player! the media, the city, and the fans turned on Pavel Bure except for his teammates.

turns out, that was never true. Confirmed by Jim Robson in 2000 or 1999 and his fellow teammates. that never happened, and Jim Robson in 2000 said that it was all b.s and Bure never threatened to sit out. Even lashed out at the media for making up such stories.

in 2024 30 years later, we are going to sit on a rumour that theres a 12 million dollar offer on the table Petterson didn't sign and that speculates he wants out, and that we should suddenly trade him in the midst of a rebuild to a stanley cup conder, literally our best forward for the best 5 seasons or so, and suddenly we want to get rid of him just like that? I listed 9 other Canucks that was able to negotiate during the off-season. how long do we wait until we draft another 100-point player?

I'm very disappointed in us Canuck fans. what a shame.

let me tell you guys something. We won't get an equal offer for Pettersson. That i can tell you.

Reactions: Szechwan

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
just ask yourself who benefits from leaking the 12m offer rumour. it's pretty obvious what is going on

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
This is my feeling too. Players always say stuff like "I just want to focus on the season, I don't want to talk contract now". And then magically they sign a new deal once the terms are right. Even Pettersson's own agent suggested negotiations could happen during the season.

Pretending it's a non-story or usual behavior for an NHL player is not helpful, because this isn't business as usual. When other guys delay, they are either posturing or they want out. I can't believe it's about money, and like the above poster says, what is left? He'll get a no-move clause... and that's about all that's left to decide. This isn't Messi-to-MLS where new ground is being broken, it's a standard NHL player contract.

The best case scenario for the Canucks is that he's legitimately unsure (maybe it's about ownership or other locked-in players on the team or whatever) but then he ultimately decides he wants to stay. But it's a bit like firing a coach -- if you have to ask whether you should do it, you've kind of already made up your mind. I don't believe this is as simple as "I don't want to think about it now, but then I'll totally sign after the season."

Well put, this is not business as usual. It is without a doubt a distraction. One that nearly everyone could see coming. Look at how the national media are circling this story? They're not letting up even while the local media are all playing defense.

Pettersson is being stubborn (to put plainly). Sekeres brought it up: Is he naive as to how it would play in this market? He could not be because JP Barry would educate him. And so, the local media have stayed at bay despite Pettersson walking right into this context with eyes wide open. It's no wonder teams are calling. This is odd.

just ask yourself who benefits from leaking the 12m offer rumour. it's pretty obvious what is going on

Obviously, management benefits. I also question the timing of all the media hype about this now. A good time to pressure a player to sign right before the deadline.

But it doesn't get here if Pettersson acts with adjustments to new information. The team is going well and the money is there. That wasn't the case before. If that changes, so to should your timeline change.

Reactions: aquaweenie

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Well put, this is not business as usual. It is without a doubt a distraction. One that nearly everyone could see coming. Look at how the national media are circling this story? They're not letting up even while the local media are all playing defense.

Pettersson is being stubborn (to put plainly). Sekeres brought it up: Is he naive as to how it would play in this market? He could not be because JP Barry would educate him. And so, the local media have stayed at bay despite Pettersson walking right into this context with eyes wide open. It's no wonder teams are calling. This is odd.

Obviously, management benefits. I also question the timing of all the media hype about this now. A good time to pressure a player to sign right before the deadline.

But it doesn't get here if Pettersson acts with adjustments to new information. The team is going and the money is there. That wasn't the case before. If that changes, so to should your timeline change.

wtf do you mean its not business as usual? what do you mean hes stubborn?

no it's not because every great Canuck was able to avoid negotiation during a regular season and signed during the off season. Names? Quinn Hughes, JT Miller, Brock Boeser, Henrik Sedin, Daniel Sedin, Roberto Luongo, Pavel Bure, Matius Ohlund and the list goes on of players that signed during the off season.

none of those guys signed during the regular season, but they are not stubborn? But petey is stubborn? we believe 4th period.com suddenly?

For those of us a bit slow, what do you mean?

pavel bure 2.0 going on right now.
back in the day, the fans believed the bogus story that bure threatnes to hold out during the playoff run if he didn't get the salary he wanted.

fast foward to today, Elias pettersson didn't sign a 12 million dollar offer, which means he wants to leave? but the source is questionable at best. 4th period.com did not report on any of Canucks signings, or trades that happened but suddenly they ahve intel that there is a 12 million dollar offer on the table?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
wtf do you mean its not business as usual? what do you mean hes stubborn?

no it's not because every great Canuck was able to avoid negotiation during a regular season and signed during the off season. Names? Quinn Hughes, JT Miller, Brock Boeser, Henrik Sedin, Daniel Sedin, Roberto Luongo, Pavel Bure, Matius Ohlund and the list goes on of players that signed during the off season.

none of those guys signed during the regular season, but they are not stubborn? But petey is stubborn? we believe 4th period.com suddenly?

Could he have been signed this past offseason?

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
I mean it’s obvious he’s still uncertain if he wants to be here. That doesn’t mean he won’t stay but if he really wanted to the contract would have been signed yesterday. Not like money is the issue here. I’m sure there’s certain things that no one knows of on why he may not want to be here but at the end of day all this speculation from the media is stupid. What’s all this talk going to do? either he stays or he doesn’t. We move on regardless.

I agree. My gut feeling has always been that he’s not super enamoured with Vancouver for whatever reason. This whole situation feels like the Tkachuk, PLD, Tavares negotiations. Hopefully Im wrong though

Did anyone ever get the feel that Petey loved being a Canuck and wanted to stay here at all costs? I sure didnt see it ever

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Look, if he doesn't want to be here he can simply **** off. If he does then resign him.

To Canucks:
Connor Bedard

To Blackhawks:
Elias Pettersson
Tom Willander
Lekkermaki

I would sell all this to get Bedard back home.

Id try to get Miller + Laff from the Rangers

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I agree. My gut feeling has always been that he’s not super enamoured with Vancouver for whatever reason. This whole situation feels like the Tkachuk, PLD, Tavares negotiations. Hopefully Im wrong though

Did anyone ever get the feel that Petey loved being a Canuck and wanted to stay here at all costs? I sure didnt see it ever

At all costs? No, but I did get the feeling that he liked the team, liked the players, and liked the city. His issue was with winning, which has since been resolved.

I can’t think of many players that Vancouver had a hard to re-signing, we can offer a pretty unique package between a beautiful city, decent weather, a winning team, we have the cap space, great stadium location for good work / life balance, etc. I don’t see why we wouldn’t be able to get the deal done, I just don’t. We all had the same fears with Miller and he re-signed, I think this will be the same.

Just for fun, who can think of some high profile players that Vancouver was unable to re-sign when money / term wasn’t the issue?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
but he wanted to wait til the end of this current season like every other Canuck i previously mentioned, since, the 2025 season will be the last year of his current contract.

The only player on your list that was an RFA coming off a bridge deal, I believe, was Boeser. And iirc, it wasn't a slam dunk he would be re-signed. Pettersson is this team's franchise centre and chose to forgo signing this past offseason. This is absolutely a story because of that.

Couturier comes to mind as someone who was signed a year ahead of his final RFA year to a long-term deal.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
The only player on your list that was an RFA coming off a bridge deal, I believe, was Boeser. And iirc, it wasn't a slam dunk he would be re-signed. Pettersson is this team's franchise centre and chose to forgo signing this past offseason. This is absolutely a story because of that.

Couturier comes to mind as someone who was signed a year ahead of his final RFA year to a long-term deal.

only a few players will sign with the team during the season, last I remember, was Todd Bertuzzi who signed a deal in the middle of the season and I will stick with Canuck players in the past that signed with the team during the off-season which is like literally every impact Canuck player.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
You guys are acting like he's a UFA

Are you happy in Vancouver....."I am ...i'm happy"........... "I'm just trying to stay in the moment"

Reactions: supercanuck

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
only a few players will sign with the team during the season, last I remember, was Todd Bertuzzi who signed a deal in the middle of the season and I will stick with Canuck players in the past that signed with the team during the off-season which is like literally every impact Canuck player.

He had the ability to re-sign this past offseason...? In season, off-season, it doesn't matter. He is eligible to sign and has refused to negotiate.

This is unorthodox. You have speculation now from fans and media about trade possibilities. About his angst with JT Miller, about Boudreau, and so on... Is that normal speculation to you?

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
lol at people thinking he’s getting run out of town

You’re spending too much time on twitter reading garbage from a vocal minority. Go to a game or bar and talk with random Canuck fans, they worship the guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad