Elias Pettersson Milestone Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
His individual xGF in all situations is 9.49 but he has 25 goals, and his on ice xGF in all situations is 44.73 but he has 50 points (and players don't get points on every goal they are on the ice for). Clearly his individual shooting percentage is absurd which everyone knows. Regardless of how good you think he is or will be, it's simply delusional to claim that he isn't over producing right now when the numbers show that he is.
Nope

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I don’t know. McDavid is the sole reason I bought my subscription to centre ice again after many years and next to him, the player who has commanded my attention to try and catch every game of a team I don’t cheer for I’d Pettersson.

I’d suggest he should have 7-9 more assists at least on the year based on how many offensive opportunities he consistently creates. And not even by adding another quality linemate or teammates who would better convert his setups, just if he and Boeser didn’t have the misfortune of missing so much time together and separate individual injuries.

Last edited:

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
His individual xGF in all situations is 9.49 but he has 25 goals, and his on ice xGF in all situations is 44.73 but he has 50 points (and players don't get points on every goal they are on the ice for). Clearly his individual shooting percentage is absurd which everyone knows. Regardless of how good you think he is or will be, it's simply delusional to claim that he isn't over producing right now when the numbers show that he is.

Your numbers don't adjust for elite players, elite players will always have higher on ice shooting%'s than average ones.

Guys like Pettersson, Matthews, Marner, Eichel. Mackinnon, McDavid will have a higher on ice shooting% than a medium player.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Your numbers don't adjust for elite players, elite players will always have higher on ice shooting%'s than average ones.

Guys like Pettersson, Matthews, Marner, Eichel. Mackinnon, McDavid will have a higher on ice shooting% than a medium player.
Nothing you just said addressed those numbers. If you're claiming xGF is flawed in some way when it comes to "elite players", you're going to have to prove that.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I don’t think it could be argued that his % will drop. Of course it will.

At the same time, I think that a lot of people who are looking at where it is now feel as though it may be the same as many times when we say players go through spurts of unsustainable shooting % and assume that the nature of the goals themselves are unsustainable - lu my breaks, bounces etc.

If you look at each and all of the 25 goals he’s scored this season, so many of them come from the preciseness and accuracy of an elite shooter. The guy has most of his goals off of pin pinpoint lasers.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Nothing you just said addressed those numbers. If you're claiming xGF is flawed in some way when it comes to "elite players", you're going to have to prove that.

I made my claim, if you don't believe elite players tend to have higher on ice shooting%'s than the medium number that you probably don't understand analytics as much as you think you do.

I clearly "addressed" your numbers, citing that all the elite players are I listed had on ice shooting %'s higher than the medium number.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I made my claim, if you don't believe elite players tend to have higher on ice shooting%'s than the medium number that you probably don't understand analytics as much as you think you do.

I clearly "addressed" your numbers, citing that all the elite players are I listed had on ice shooting %'s higher than the medium number.
This isn't how it works, you made a claim and the burden of proof is on you to substantiate it. I asked you to provide proof to support your claim, and all you have responded with is "you probably don't understand analytics". If what you are claiming is so common, it should be easy to prove. Also no, listing a few players with high on ice shooting percentage says nothing about xGF, which is what I was posting.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Guys shooting percentage doesn't freaking matter LOL. Stop nitpicking non-overly important stats cough cough Lol Devils fans.

Coming into this thread with these anal-ytics. It's actually quite comical. Probably taken them hours to find a useless stat and to bring it way out of proportion to support their idea.

FTR, I do believe he does have an unsustainable shooting %. As of right now, Petey is being really selective with his shot, and when he's shooting, he's been scoring. Yes he's obviously going to have a higher shot percentage because of that. That could decrease, hell even increase. There are so many variables into shooting percentage, at the end of the day, it's not a stat that really matters unless you are being nitpicky, like most of you Devils fan are being because you guys have nothing better to do than to downplay a rookie who went 4 spots later from your precious 1st overall pick and is significantly better than.

And to discredit Petey saying everything is doing is based on luck, "stats prove that". Go screw yourselves with that. How do you measure luck?

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Guys shooting percentage doesn't freaking matter LOL. Stop nitpicking non-overly important stats cough cough Lol Devils fans.

Coming into this thread with these anal-ytics. It's actually quite comical. Probably taken them hours to find a useless stat and to bring it way out of proportion to support their idea.

FTR, I do believe he does have an unsustainable shooting %. As of right now, Petey is being really selective with his shot, and when he's shooting, he's been scoring. Yes he's obviously going to have a higher shot percentage because of that. That could decrease, hell even increase. There are so many variables into shooting percentage, at the end of the day, it's not a stat that really matters unless you are being nitpicky, like most of you Devils fan are being because you guys have nothing better to do than to downplay a rookie who went 4 spots later from your precious 1st overall pick.

And to discredit Petey saying everything is doing is based on luck, "stats prove that". Go screw yourselves with that. How do you measure luck?
I posted his xGF stats, why are you going on and on about shooting percentage? xGF isn't just shooting percentage (although clearly his shooting percentage is inflated as well). It took me 2 minutes to look up those stats, and they aren't useless.

You have used a lot of words here, said almost nothing of value, and definitely said nothing to refute what I posted. If you think posting some stats that show he is overproducing is discrediting him as a player, that says a lot more about your insecurities than it says anything about me. No where did I say anything negative or bad about him, just simply that the stats show he is overproducing, because he is.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I posted his xGF stats, why are you going on and on about shooting percentage? xGF isn't just shooting percentage (although clearly his shooting percentage is inflated as well). It took me 2 minutes to look up those stats, and they aren't useless.

You have used a lot of words here, said almost nothing of value, and definitely said nothing to refute what I posted.
I just chose your quote but the last 2 pages have been about shooting percentage.

Using nitpicky stats to support your claim that Petey has been lucky? That's being more informative? Sheesh.

Let me rephrase. You're right they aren't useless stats but they aren't that overly important. No one goes and says "but but what's his shooting percentage like?" "what's his xGF stats?" unless you are trying to compare two or more different players, which clearly isn't what we are doing.

Keep wasting your time :naughty:

Last edited:

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
This isn't how it works, you made a claim and the burden of proof is on you to substantiate it. I asked you to provide proof to support your claim, and all you have responded with is "you probably don't understand analytics". If what you are claiming is so common, it should be easy to prove. Also no, listing a few players with high on ice shooting percentage says nothing about xGF, which is what I was posting.
It's not rocket science to conclude that elite players drive scoring more than medium. The fact that you don't think that's a legitimate argument is insane.

The fact of the matter is Pettersson's on ice shooting% is in the same realm of players like Marner, Matthews, Mackinnon, Eichel etc

Not sure why Devils fans are so obsessed with Pettersson, I guess I would be to if my teams first line centre was Nico Hischier.

Reactions: Elias GOATtersson

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
It's not rocket science to conclude that elite players drive scoring more than medium. The fact that you don't think that's a legitimate argument is insane.

You can sit behind a keyboard and construct as many flawed arguments as you want, the fact of the matter is Pettersson's on ice shooting% is in the same realm of players like Marner, Matthews, Mackinnon, Eichel etc.
So you have nothing. Good to know.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
If you think that;s "nothing" you don't understand stats as much as you think you do.
I have asked you repeatedly to prove what you are claiming, repeating it over and over while refusing to provide evidence of your claim and accusing me of "not understanding" is laughable. Perhaps come back with a cogent argument next time if you want me to take what you're saying seriously.

Reactions: Dialamo

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005

You have used a lot of words here, said almost nothing of value, and definitely said nothing to refute what I posted. If you think posting some stats that show he is overproducing is discrediting him as a player, that says a lot more about your insecurities than it says anything about me. No where did I say anything negative or bad about him, just simply that the stats show he is overproducing, because he is.
Honest question, how many Canucks games have you watched?

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
We've already discussed that his PPG is not higher based on an inflated shooting%...

We literally just went over this with on ice shooting%....
Except it would be because he'd have less goals

What, are all of his shots that would have missed going to end up in tap-ins or something?
On-ice shooting% does not make up for every shot he'd miss to have equaled to an average or above average shooting%

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
And you think Pettersson's numbers are inflated and he isn't as good as they suggest?

I find it hard to respect your hockey understanding if that's the case.
His production is clearly inflated, all the stats support that and no, watching him more or less isn't going to change that fact. I have said nothing about how good I think he is.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I have asked you repeatedly to prove what you are claiming, repeating it over and over while refusing to provide evidence of your claim and accusing me of "not understanding" is laughable. Perhaps come back with a cogent argument next time if you want me to take what you're saying seriously.
I've constructed my argument a number of times, you don't seem to be able to grasp it or care to acknowledge it. Elite players drive offense more than average players, how is that so hard to grasp?

Players like Mackinnon, Eichel, Matthews, Pettersson, Marner will always have higher on ice shooting %'s than average 2nd line players. Why not conduct an argument for guys like Marner, Matthews, Eichel etc and look at their XGF%.

Reactions: Elias GOATtersson

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Forsberg had the advantage in stubborness, deking and physicality, while Pettersson has a much better shot. Forsberg deked his way into most of his goals from up close. Forsberg in his era was spectacular, but I think Pettersson is an even better fit to this era than Forsberg was to his.

Lol a little early to be saying this, but have fun being disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad