News Article: Elias Pettersson Contract negotiations (Part 2) - Not Close

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick Rocket

Regetstred User
May 22, 2008
I don't get it, guys with such a far less skillset get overpaid in AAV and term, but when it comes to guys with skill and who we really need... seems they get nickel and dimed.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Getting Edler like performance for 7.25 million is the furthest thing from a W.

how do you figure? edler the last two years at $6m was considered good value. so if now we are talking about an overpay of less than $1m in order to
get garland and ditch those three contracts at a discount.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
You seem to have forgotten the 9th overall pick was involved

if you cannot recognize the market value, plainly established by the coyotes this offseason, of moving $12m in cap, then my experience of discussing this trade here has taught me i cannot have a rational discussion with you so please do not respond. if you are being forgetful and are overlooking that market value, then now you have been reminded.

many here question the wisdom of making a trade to shed cap instead of waiting a year and shedding the contracts naturally, but that is a tactics issue rather than a trade value question. if you decide to pay the price to shed cap now, which many other teams have done this season, then the trade is good market value if we end up with an edler calibre dman.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
how do you figure? edler the last two years at $6m was considered good value. so if now we are talking about an overpay of less than $1m in order to
get garland and ditch those three contracts at a discount.

How would you assess Edler's $6x2 contract though, if it was 7.25x2? Or actually 7.25x6? Also, you are hoping that he can escalate his level to that of Edler after several years of decline (and to keep that new higher level for 6 years). The Canucks have taken on a whole lot of risk there.

I'm guessing even Benning would not see that as a W. He is expecting much more than that.

Reactions: racerjoe and MarkMM

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I don't get it, guys with such a far less skillset get overpaid in AAV and term, but when it comes to guys with skill and who we really need... seems they get nickel and dimed.

Are you talking about Petey being nickel and dimed?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
How would you assess Edler's $6x2 contract though, if it was 7.25x2? Or actually 7.25x6? Also, you are hoping that he can escalate his level to that of Edler after several years of decline (and to keep that new higher level for 6 years). The Canucks have taken on a whole lot of risk there.

I'm guessing even Benning would not see that as a W. He is expecting much more than that.

well i said that if oel turns out to be edler he is overpaid about $1m..

edler is currently 35. we have the benefit of watching him the last five years so we know what we got. are you suggesting that signing edler tomorrow at 30 at around $6.25mx6 would not be a decent signing with the benefit of that hindsight?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I think if Edler at age 30 had a 6 year $7.25M AAV contract (meaning he is going into the last year of his deal), I think overall he would have provided decent value for the Canucks.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
well i said that if oel turns out to be edler he is overpaid about $1m..

edler is currently 35. we have the benefit of watching him the last five years so we know what we got. are you suggesting that signing edler tomorrow at 30 at around $6.25mx6 would not be a decent signing with the benefit of that hindsight?

So if he is overpaid by about a million is he still a win?

Yes, because in this hypothetical scenario, he is actually worse than the Edler that we know and had been declining for a few years and you are hoping that he would somehow increase his level, and you commit him to 6 years with that in mind. Also, it's 7.25 not 6.25 which makes a difference.

A different question would be, if OEL were a free agent right now, would you sign him to $7.25x6.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
I think if Edler at age 30 had a 6 year $7.25M AAV contract (meaning he is going into the last year of his deal), I think overall he would have provided decent value for the Canucks.

I can see that argument. He would still be overpaid IMO, but his tenure and meaning to the team/community helps too.

I just don't think OEL right now is at that level. We are actually paying that premium hoping he improves to Edler's level after several years of decline.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

Yes, because in this hypothetical scenario, he is actually worse than the Edler that we know and had been declining for a few years and you are hoping that he would somehow increase his level, and you commit him to 6 years with that in mind. Also, it's 7.25 not 6.25 which makes a difference.

A different question would be, if OEL were a free agent right now, would you sign him to $7.25x6.

not sure what you are on about to be honest.

we were talking about a hypothetical of "getting edler like performance" from oel (to quote the op) being a win or not.

there is nothing in the hypothetical i was discussing with the op about oel being "worse than the edler we know". if oel is worse than the edler we know then obviously that is some other hypothetical you are discussing in which oel is less valuable than the one i was discussing.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

yes.

what is the trade market value of a 30 year old edler overpaid $1m? add that to the market value of garland. add both of them to the market value of dumping $12m in cap.

the total is way more than 9oa and a 2nd and a 7th.

just the cap dump alone equates to the andrew ladd trade, where the coyotes were paid two 2nd and a third to take on ladd's contract, which could have been bought out for a comparable cash and cap hit to buying out all three canuck contracts.

now add garland's value, which i would think is at least a late first and another mid round pick.

now add the market value of an edler at 30 signed at 6x7.25m which i would say is roughly garland's value.

add it all up and compare to the price we paid. if oel is as good as edler, we did great here.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
if you cannot recognize the market value, plainly established by the coyotes this offseason, of moving $12m in cap, then my experience of discussing this trade here has taught me i cannot have a rational discussion with you so please do not respond. if you are being forgetful and are overlooking that market value, then now you have been reminded.

many here question the wisdom of making a trade to shed cap instead of waiting a year and shedding the contracts naturally, but that is a tactics issue rather than a trade value question. if you decide to pay the price to shed cap now, which many other teams have done this season, then the trade is good market value if we end up with an edler calibre dman.

We shed $12 million for one season yet we took on $7.25 million for six seasons. What’s the market value for taking on arguably the worst contract in the NHL?

Reactions: racerjoe

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
We shed $12 million for one season yet we took on $7.25 million for six seasons. What’s the market value for taking on arguably the worst contract in the NHL?

just a polite reminder: we were talking about a hypothetical situation where oel is as good as edler. in that scenario, oel's contract is obviously not the worst contract in the nhl.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
'Arguably worst contract in the NHL' is currently my favorite buzz quote from Canuck fans on hfboards.

i love that, even if we dare to imagine a hypothetical scenario in which oel does not fulfill that tenuous prophecy, it is somehow refuted by the completely inapplicable prophecy.

because nothing matters but the prophecy.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
not sure what you are on about to be honest.

we were talking about a hypothetical of "getting edler like performance" from oel (to quote the op) being a win or not.

there is nothing in the hypothetical i was discussing with the op about oel being "worse than the edler we know". if oel is worse than the edler we know then obviously that is some other hypothetical you are discussing in which oel is less valuable than the one i was discussing.

You brought up your hypothetical scenario that we were to sign Edler at 30 to 7.25x6 and whether that is a good deal or not. That's not valid because Edler at 30 is a better player than OEL is now. You need to account for the risk and probability that OEL gets back to Edler's level just for it to be a W.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It may take a few more weeks to dot the 'i's and cross the 't's', but I'd be surprised in the Canucks aren't closing in on deals with Hughes and Pettersson.

I mean you can look at Cap Friendly and see how much cap room the Canucks have left. So the range in terms of dollars must be pretty close. The only sticking point might be 'term' on the contracts.

'Bridge deals' of 3-4 years seemed most likely at the end of last season, but then Benning and the Canucks took a broad axe to their cap woes. So seems likely now that one guy will get a long-term extension and the other a bridge deal.

These players are too important to the team's future to allow any contract impasses to develop.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
With so many gambles over the last 7 seasons failing to pay out for Jim, one of them is bound to hit sooner or later? Maybe?

Reactions: Erub ot Ynligom
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad