News Article: Elias Pettersson Contract negotiations (Part 2) - Not Close

Status
Not open for further replies.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Pretty annoying knowing that luongo bettmans BS penalty on the canucks cost us signing both to long term deals.

And not any of the litany of other poor cap planning choices? They've known that there would be a cap penalty for this season and needed to just plan around it. Instead they decided to extend very mediocre wingers like Pearson mid-season instead of trading for a pick and re-assessing in the offseason once EP/Hughes were signed. Or moving out a bunch of bad money to bring in even worse money with insane term in OEL.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Oh well what can ya do
Come on Tony. You know in "this thing of ours" that line won't cut it!

"Now the guy's got Paulie as a partner. Any problems, he goes to Paulie. Trouble with the bill? He can go to Paulie. Trouble with the cops, deliveries, Tommy, he can call Paulie. But now the guy's gotta come up with Paulie's money every week, no matter what. Business bad? **** you, pay me. Oh, you had a fire? **** you, pay me. Place got hit by lightning, huh? **** you, pay me".

:sarcasm:

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Isn’t Halak’s bonus plus Holtby’s buyout money greater than the Luongo recapture ? I believe that’s $3.4m ($1.9m Holtby buyout and $1.5m Halak bonus)>$3.03m

Not sure what the discussion is but this seems pertinent to someone complaining about Luongo recapture.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
If Michael Russo isn't reporting it, it isn't true.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
I got to say that Swedish is not the best language to translate in English. It's not bad but some words do get lost in translation and comes out very awkwardly.

Is this just a gut feeling? There are actually quite a few similarities between Swedish and English. I speak English and German and just with that I can understand quite a fair bit if someone is speaking Swedish even without speaking it myself.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Is this just a gut feeling? There are actually quite a few similarities between Swedish and English. I speak English and German and just with that I can understand quite a fair bit if someone is speaking Swedish even without speaking it myself.
Wirklich ?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I don't mean to offend. It's just based on reading translated interviews over the years. Now it could just be poor translations. There are languages that when translated it's just the grammar of the words that is awkward. With Swedish it seems to be more of an issue with the words being awkward.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
German to Swedish can go very bad. Like on the amazon.se site.
One wrong Word is all it takes to get a wrong, and bad quote.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Pretty lame to specifically blame the Luongo recapture when considering the careless spending every offseason by this org. If it wasn’t for the recapture they would have locked that money down elsewhere and we’d likely be in the same situation.
Pretty sure that poster is being sarcastic, no way someone can post something THAT stupid considering the Eriksson Beagle Ferland Myers OEL Roussell Sutter Gudbranson Pearson Holtby Virtanen Baertchi contracts..... right??? right???

Reactions: MarkMM and Javaman

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
And not any of the litany of other poor cap planning choices? They've known that there would be a cap penalty for this season and needed to just plan around it. Instead they decided to extend very mediocre wingers like Pearson mid-season instead of trading for a pick and re-assessing in the offseason once EP/Hughes were signed. Or moving out a bunch of bad money to bring in even worse money with insane term in OEL.

It shows that it’s very hard to bury mistakes now in the NHL. We traded a top 5 worst NHL contract for another top 5 Worst contract. GMs aren’t dumb…. Well…. Ours is.

Reactions: MarkMM

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver

Swedish, German, and English are all Germanic languages. That ought to make translation easier, not harder, I would think.

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
JB would use this yes and not the recent 2 other comps that got signed at 7.75
The argument would be Pettersson is more closely compared with Kaprizov than Svechnikov and Couturier, considering both Elias and Kiril are the best players on their team (Barzal on a short term deal is the best comparable, who if long term also gets 9+)

I suspect Pettersson comes in at 8x8.5 while Quinn signs a one or two year bridge

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
My guess is EP $7.5x3, QH, $8.5x8
Then they re-up EP as RFA the summer $12M frees up w Pearson, Myers, Dickinson off the books

Sneezy

Oct 25, 2019
It shows that it’s very hard to bury mistakes now in the NHL. We traded a top 5 worst NHL contract for another top 5 Worst contract. GMs aren’t dumb…. Well…. Ours is.

Keep your spaghetti spewing in your own thread. JB is not dumb no matter how many times you say it.

He has taken a calculated risk that has high reward option, if OEL can get back to what he was a few years ago then this is a huge win, if he even gets to Edler's level that would be a win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad