News Article: Elias Pettersson Contract negotiations (Part 2) - Not Close

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
Oh no, young star wants to win, what a shame. Doesn't want to end up like Eichel in Buffalo, how dare he!

Overreactions are coming and coming hard. Guy wants to win, do you blame him? I'd be furious if he didn't want to win.

Sinistril

Oct 26, 2008
Oh no, young star wants to win, what a shame. Doesn't want to end up like Eichel in Buffalo, how dare he!

Overreactions are coming and coming hard. Guy wants to win, do you blame him? I'd be furious if he didn't want to win.

That's fair. But he's also not in an Eichel situation, so it's a strange quote

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Why isn’t he signed

Pretty clearly if Pettersson was willing to take a discount, the deal would be done. Since that pretty clearly isn't the case, the simplistic answer is that neither side has got the deal it wants and at least one side thinks the offer available to it may increase. This agent isn't known for rushing negotiations.

So long as the discussions are respectful, negotiations can go on for some time without harming the relationship between the player and the team. (That isn't a comment on whether the relationship is in good shape.)

Really, it is only if the deal isn't done in time to be sharp to start the season and for those of us who place a higher priority on long-term success than making the playoffs in 2021-22 (ie those with a view completely opposed to the priorities the Canucks have demonstrated in recent years) whether the player is sharp on October 13 is of little importance.

It gets interesting if the negotiations drag on through training camp. If the deal gets signed after the first day of the season:

1. The requirement to be cap compliant BEFORE placing Ferland on Injured Reserve and getting long term injury relief for him becomes a total non-issue. The issue then may become getting close to the salary cap so as to maximize the benefit from Ferland's long term injury relief.

2. The cap hit for Pettersson's new contract would be calculated differently, as for example William Nylander's is. (How Nylander's contract affects the Leafs' salary cap going forward | Offside)

It is a problem if the Canucks don't have cap room this season, but with their offseason moves having the effect of shifting the issue to future seasons, if they created a little extra room this season it could provide a small benefit for later years of Pettersson's contract.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
That first quote… yeah pretty damming

It's OK though. No matter how many times you see these types of quotes (MIller last year) or quotes regarding player treatment etc it doesn't actually mean the players are concerned about management and coaching....honest.

Reactions: racerjoe

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Although I know this would never happen, it would be so great if he were to publicly and explicitly say that he disagrees with management's decision making over the past few years, forcing Aqulini's hand in letting Benning go. Big pipe dream, but that would make him such a hero to the fanbase.

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
First quote is why team tank is off the menu for the foreseeable future for me. We have to aim for making the post-season every year with our core now.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015

It is a little concerning that he's saying the same thing that Horvat, the team captain, is saying. While I am sure that some of this has been coached into him by his agent, I do think that he's taking a longer view of things ("when my next deal expires", implying he's looking towards becoming UFA.)

Eichel is pretty accurate. I don't think it's unreasonable to say that he's probably thinking about someone who is 3 years ahead of him in his pro career and not wanting to be in that position.

What is unreasonable or an 'overreaction' over being concerned about this?

Reactions: supercanuck

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Petey's quote is kind of scary but....if the Canucks are not going to be a winning team then what's the point? who cares if he stays or goes, we're not going to win anyways.
I think the best way to look at this is like, yeah, he wants to win, so how far are we from being a legit winning team? I think we're actually pretty close.

We need the young core to take another step (even a small step). This includes Boeser, Petey, Hoglander, Horavt, Hughes, Demko.
We need another young player to step up and provide value on an entry level contract (we need Podkolzin to be the real deal like Hoglander was last year and Rathbone needs to be reliable).
We need to upgrade the right side D. It's early and we don't know how the new D will look but on paper, it needs an upgrade. Savard would have been such a great pickup. I know he was set on Mtl but he's such a calming presence out there and would look really good next to Hughes or OEL.

I think we know what to expect out of Jt. Miller, Dickinson, Garland, Hamonic, so as long as the Canucks address the above three points sometime in the next few years, we should be primed to make some noise

Reactions: sting101

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
It's OK though. No matter how many times you see these types of quotes (MIller last year) or quotes regarding player treatment etc it doesn't actually mean the players are concerned about management and coaching....honest.

Let's see. Off the top of my head.

- Rumors Miller was unhappy for a little while
- Horvat voicing displeasure over sucking publicly
- Whatever the hell happened with Schmidt
- Whatever the hell happened with Edler
- Whatever the hell happened with Rafferty
- Gaudette being described by Friedman as being "unhappy"

And now this shit with Pettersson.

digger1188

Oct 13, 2020
I suggested letting him walk on an offer sheet last month. Take the picks and save the cap space. Petterson is not the type of player who is going to carry you to a championship. He’s a second tier star in the league, and his tiny little munchkin frame is always going to lead to him having injury problems. He’s obviously not sold on the moves Benning made this summer. Benning clearly mortgaged the future for personal short term success. Petterson sees that. As it stands now there’s no money to re-up Boeser, Horvat etc. Take the picks and the ten million a year you’re going to save and move on!

Reactions: Ghetty Green
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad