Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Calder Trophy winner

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOtherGM

Jan 8, 2007
Oh man one of my biggest fears is reading too much HFboards and having the negativity rub off on me. I definitely think Elias has the potential to be the top 4, no 3, no 2, no 1, no top 0 players in the history of hockey is that better?

Trying to wrap my head around 'top zero.'
Wouldn't that make him the absolute worst of all-time? If so, totally uncalled for.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
I like that he is playing with a bit of a chip on his shoulder. He's a very respectful and humble person, but this league has a few jerks who don't play nice and take advantage of that. Showing he is getting stronger and able to surprise some with hits.

He's such a treat to watch!

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
He’s starting to whine a lot. I hope this doesn’t creep into his game and become a consistent thing. Everytime he’s touched now he’s looking towards the refs.

Reactions: Pavel96

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
offthebartoons.substack.com
He’s starting to whine a lot. I hope this doesn’t creep into his game and become a consistent thing. Everytime he’s touched now he’s looking towards the refs.

What needs to happen first is his teammates need to drop whomever on the other team is out hacking/whacking him throughout the game. The Canucks will win most games where Pettersson has space to dangel, dish and deposit goals. It's in the teams best interest to intimidate those who try to limit Pettersson's ability to have time an space. Chicago's SMITH was a prime example of this. In one shift he should have been penalized 3 times for illegal interference/roughing plays on Pettersson in and behind the play.

The refs makes no call... of course Pettersson is PO'D. BUT, you want Petey to not care? Let him know that the TEAM has his back and have everyone, on any shift that Smith kid is on go out and drop him and let him know not to touch Petey again. It's absolute horse crap that nobody on this team will take any of these opposing players aside and have a 'chat' with them.

Until that happens Petey has every right to be PO'd but I would hope he starts in the locker room first.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
AlarmingAmbitiousKilldeer-size_restricted.gif

giphy.gif

upload_2019-11-9_7-55-25.jpeg

Reactions: petrishriekandgo

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
What needs to happen first is his teammates need to drop whomever on the other team is out hacking/whacking him throughout the game. The Canucks will win most games where Pettersson has space to dangel, dish and deposit goals. It's in the teams best interest to intimidate those who try to limit Pettersson's ability to have time an space. Chicago's SMITH was a prime example of this. In one shift he should have been penalized 3 times for illegal interference/roughing plays on Pettersson in and behind the play.

The refs makes no call... of course Pettersson is PO'D. BUT, you want Petey to not care? Let him know that the TEAM has his back and have everyone, on any shift that Smith kid is on go out and drop him and let him know not to touch Petey again. It's absolute horse crap that nobody on this team will take any of these opposing players aside and have a 'chat' with them.

Until that happens Petey has every right to be PO'd but I would hope he starts in the locker room first.

It’s happening to every star. They aren’t whining and throwing their hands in the air. He’s starting to get a sense of entitlement and I’m hoping it’s not going to become a thing now.

The Canucks have no issue with it apparently which is beyond sad.

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
offthebartoons.substack.com
It’s happening to every star. They aren’t whining and throwing their hands in the air. He’s starting to get a sense of entitlement and I’m hoping it’s not going to become a thing now.

A 'sense of entitlement'???

Come on now... and I'm sorry but superstars have always complained about the amount of crap they have to put up with in the NHL. Nothin Petey is doing is out of the ordinary but maybe it's weird to see from a Canuck player because we haven't had a superstar in a while.

The team needs to get his back because the league won't... then Petey won't give a crap because at least he knows there will be some form of consequence for the abuse he is taking.

Reactions: I am toxic

hcg

Oct 12, 2018
Reading the "Matthews or Pettersson - who do you build around and why" thread on the nhl forum and seeing Pettersson winning the debate:

giphy.gif
Back behind Matthews in points again.

Why the hell couldn’t Vancouver win a lottery

hcg

Oct 12, 2018

Yeah he’s the worst. Leagues biggest diver.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Well to be fair to this current team, if I had Gino watching my back, I'd mentally grow 6 inches.

That elbow on Churla (vs Dallas) was a retaliation. Churla tried to take Bure out of the game number of times and the refs had forgotten how their whistles work.

Bure took care of it him self.

This is bullshit. All of this is bullshit.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Pettersson seems to be falling down a lot (not diving), so I think that probably has a lot to do with why the refs are not making more calls.

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
That elbow on Churla (vs Dallas) was a retaliation. Churla tried to take Bure out of the game number of times and the refs had forgotten how their whistles work.

Bure took care of it him self.

This is bull****. All of this is bull****.

It's not bs at all. I didnt see this petulant attitude coming from him last year. Boeser doesnt do it. Horvat doesnt do it. Past canuck superstars didnt do it. Pettersson needs to cut this stuff out or he isnt going to get any love from the referees.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
My advice to all players:

Stop throwing your arms in the air and looking around for the referee when you think a call hasn't gone your way. Stop throwing one arm in the air as if you're a linesman when you think a play is offside. I see this stuff so often these days. Your job is to play, and the only thing that you're accomplishing is making yourself less ready, less engaged, less effective by doing this nonsense. Take up any beefs with the officials after the whistle is blown.

Reactions: Ronning On Empty

whoshouse

Aug 13, 2004
I actually like how Pettersson has been playing. I just think things could be going smoother if Boeser and Miller ran things more through Pettersson.

It seems like to me, the teams staying true to their system and playing the mistake free type hockey that Green wants them to play. But there’s been lots of opportunities where Pettersson could’ve lead the rush, or had a prime opportunity for a shot but instead Boeser or Miller take the lower percentage shot or decide to try to dangle.

And is it just me or is the play really dying on Boesers stick? I wish Boeser would just stick to being more of a trigger man and not force the play. He needs to keep his play simple and run the puck through Pettersson and trust that he’ll get it back.

Definitely a hot take, but I’d like to see Boeser back with Horvat. Maybe even Miller too. Put Baertschi, Gaudette, Leivo, Pearson, Virtanen, etc with Pettersson. Stack the second line and force the other team to choose who they want their checking centre to match up with. You have two other checking line centres in Sutter and Beagle. I think Green can afford to make Horvats line an offensive one.

hcg

Oct 12, 2018
I actually like how Pettersson has been playing. I just think things could be going smoother if Boeser and Miller ran things more through Pettersson.

It seems like to me, the teams staying true to their system and playing the mistake free type hockey that Green wants them to play. But there’s been lots of opportunities where Pettersson could’ve lead the rush, or had a prime opportunity for a shot but instead Boeser or Miller take the lower percentage shot or decide to try to dangle.

And is it just me or is the play really dying on Boesers stick? I wish Boeser would just stick to being more of a trigger man and not force the play. He needs to keep his play simple and run the puck through Pettersson and trust that he’ll get it back.

Definitely a hot take, but I’d like to see Boeser back with Horvat. Maybe even Miller too. Put Baertschi, Gaudette, Leivo, Pearson, Virtanen, etc with Pettersson. Stack the second line and force the other team to choose who they want their checking centre to match up with. You have two other checking line centres in Sutter and Beagle. I think Green can afford to make Horvats line an offensive one.
they actually have a first line with 3 legit top 6 guys for the first time in 15 years and everyone seems to want it broken up.

I mean, they want it broken up after they finish going on about how petey is such a diver. I just can't believe what a diver he is. Elias Pettersson? More like Elite Diversson.

hcg

Oct 12, 2018
I hope Pettersson gets traded to a place where his own fans don't shit on him and call him a diver.

whoshouse

Aug 13, 2004
they actually have a first line with 3 legit top 6 guys for the first time in 15 years and everyone seems to want it broken up.

I mean, they want it broken up after they finish going on about how petey is such a diver. I just can't believe what a diver he is. Elias Pettersson? More like Elite Diversson.

Diver? Putting Boeser and Miller with Horvat has nothing to do with him being a “diver”...

Why are you even listening to people calling him a diver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad