Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Calder Trophy winner

Status
Not open for further replies.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Reading the "Matthews or Pettersson - who do you build around and why" thread on the nhl forum and seeing Pettersson winning the debate:

giphy.gif

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I still pinch myself that he is a Canuck.

It just doesn’t seem possible. We don’t get these kinds of players.

Sure we do. We’ve had some of the best players in the history of the game suit up for us. Messier, Mogilny, Bure, Sedins, Naslund/WCE, and almost got Gretzky too! We are truly a spoiled fan base. (I’m going to pretend that the 70s and 80s didn’t exist because I wasn’t there)

I think he's referring to the rarified generational tier players. none of those you mentioned belongs in that tier (Bure??). The hype train these days seem to be pushing the narrative that he will one day belong to the generational group of players, along with the Dahlins and Matthews (if you're from T.O.).... its absurd 82 games in I know.

man oh man, i would love that. but yeah, that's pretty wishful thinking.

i mean, if he peaks as an MVP/art ross winner like the non-generational sedins aren't we already dying laughing for our good fortune?

and to temper expectations a little, yes petey is 6th in scoring and that's great. but at the end of november in his second season, bure had scored 46 goals in his last 48 games. that was two more than peak mario right in the sweet spot of back to back art rosses with his second straight conn smythe in between, and a very slightly higher goals/game pace than mario too. which is to say, yeah we've seen that kind of player before.

two random thoughts:

1. i didn't follow the matthews oblivious idiot and/or pos bully story that closely but i find it odd that nowhere in the reporting did i see any mention of race. idk, if i'm a black woman working security alone in the middle of the night in one of the whitest and richest cities in the US (in ffffing arizona to boot) and four drunkass white dudes are fratboying at me, i'm even more scared af than if i'm a white woman in the same situation. like seriously, wtf were those pieces of human garbage thinking?

2. @RonningMorrisonBooth what are you talking about? messier never played for the canucks

CptCripple

Jun 28, 2012

i mean, if he peaks as an MVP/art ross winner like the non-generational sedins aren't we already dying laughing for our good fortune?

and to temper expectations a little, yes petey is 6th in scoring and that's great. but at the end of november in his second season, bure had scored 46 goals in his last 48 games. that was two more than peak mario right in the sweet spot of back to back art rosses with his second straight conn smythe in between, and a very slightly higher goals/game pace than mario too. which is to say, yeah we've seen that kind of player before.

two random thoughts:

1. i didn't follow the matthews oblivious idiot and/or pos bully story that closely but i find it odd that nowhere in the reporting did i see any mention of race. idk, if i'm a black woman working security alone in the middle of the night in one of the whitest and richest cities in the US (in ffffing arizona to boot) and four drunkass white dudes are fratboying at me, i'm even more scared af than if i'm a white woman in the same situation. like seriously, wtf were those pieces of human garbage thinking?

2. @RonningMorrisonBooth what are you talking about? messier never played for the canucks

Umm 1997-2000 Mark Messier did indeed play for the canucks

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017

two random thoughts:

Did you see the security guard though? I’m sure Gaudette has already tried harassing her on Twitter, she’s got Beyoncé level hotness.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I know the hype is always going to overload on stars like McDavid, Sid the Kid (no more) and even Draisaitl as being the league's top players. But just a comment and a question after watching Elias Pettersson the last few games.

Is Pettersson flat-out the best all-round player in the NHL today? You could make a strong case that he is.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
I know the hype is always going to overload on stars like McDavid, Sid the Kid (no more) and even Draisaitl as being the league's top players. But just a comment and a question after watching Elias Pettersson the last few games.

Is Pettersson flat-out the best all-round player in the NHL today? You could make a strong case that he is.

Uhh...maybe when he gets nominated for a Selke.

Bergeron is a PPG player and a perennial Selke candidate.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019

Too early to be saying this. He has the talent and drive to become that guy though. In a couple years he could be seen as the new Datsyuk, but he is still working his way into that. Having potential and accomplishing are two different things (which is something Leafs fans who think Matthews is comparable to Ovechkin need to understand).

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015

Please try.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Blues' Binnington says he deserved Rookie of the Year, not Canucks' Pettersson | Offside

“There’s a little bit of that bad taste in my mouth about the outcome last year,” Binnington said, as reported by Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch following Tuesday’s game in Vancouver. “But [Pettersson is] a talented player, so it’s good going up against some of the best.”

"So just to be clear, you feel like you deserved the Calder last year, right?"

"Yeah", Binnington said.
Nobody tell Binnington that the Calder is voted upon based on regular season performance.

Closest comparable to Binnington in this regard is Ed Belfour, and even he had to play 74 games and win 43 in his "rookie" season to win the Calder as a goalie.
Nobody has won the Calder playing 32 games from what I can tell?
If Belfour's playoff games played didn't count towards his total games played, and made him eligible for the Calder the next year, we can see why games played in the playoffs do not affect your Calder-ness.

Reactions: Bougieman

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Three games in a row with no assists. Points in only ONE of those games

Not time to panic just yet but something to keep an eye on , hopefully he can picker up starting TODAY

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Re: Binnington above -- It sounds like it was a two-second throwaway soundbite, to be honest. As per the robots-in-interviews rule he probably should have just said "It's not my concern, we won the Cup and I couldn't be happier", but still it doesn't sound like he's particularly dwelling on it, and the grilling he'll take for it is probably misplaced.

Dana Murzyn

Oct 5, 2005
Re: Binnington above -- It sounds like it was a two-second throwaway soundbite, to be honest. As per the robots-in-interviews rule he probably should have just said "It's not my concern, we won the Cup and I couldn't be happier", but still it doesn't sound like he's particularly dwelling on it, and the grilling he'll take for it is probably misplaced.
I’m disgusted and am ordering T-shirts that say:

“Yeah”
- Binnington.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
It’s so hard to contain the excitement of realizing that we actually have Pettersson on our team.

Kid has the offensive creativity of Pavel Datsyuk. He has the Selke level commitment and effort to playing well defensively of a Patrice Bergeron. AND he has the lethal shot and one timer of Alexander Ovechkin.

The only thing he’s missing is the truly elite speed of a McDavid and the elite size/physicality of a Peter Forsberg which I believe he can get close to if he improves his skating like Horvat did and trains and bulks up and gets stronger over the next few years. If he puts it all together his ceiling is ridiculously high, like I’m thinking top 5 player of all time high.

Reactions: VancouverJagger

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
It’s so hard to contain the excitement of realizing that we actually have Pettersson on our team.

Kid has the offensive creativity of Pavel Datsyuk. He has the Selke level commitment and effort to playing well defensively of a Patrice Bergeron. AND he has the lethal shot and one timer of Alexander Ovechkin.

The only thing he’s missing is the truly elite speed of a McDavid and the elite size/physicality of a Peter Forsberg which I believe he can get close to if he improves his skating like Horvat did and trains and bulks up and gets stronger over the next few years. If he puts it all together his ceiling is ridiculously high, like I’m thinking top 5 player of all time high.

Interesting in that I saw video of him in the dressing room tying his skates with a long sleeved undershirt on (geez this sounds creepy).......and he looked like he actually had some muscle. A lot bigger than what he was so (not that he could get any skinnier) one would assume that he's going to continue to fill out. He's not ever going to be a power forward but that's not his game.

Could you imagine if we listened to half the posters on this board before who were concerned over his size? I was never worried about that as that's probably one of the easier aspects to control (eat, hit the gym......eat some more).

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Interesting in that I saw video of him in the dressing room tying his skates with a long sleeved undershirt on (geez this sounds creepy).......and he looked like he actually had some muscle. A lot bigger than what he was so (not that he could get any skinnier) one would assume that he's going to continue to fill out. He's not ever going to be a power forward but that's not his game.

Could you imagine if we listened to half the posters on this board before who were concerned over his size? I was never worried about that as that's probably one of the easier aspects to control (eat, hit the gym......eat some more).

I definitely see him getting significantly bigger and stronger. Pettersson has the kind of work ethic and personality that wouldn’t surprise me if he ends up looking like Arnold Schwarzenegger by the end of his career.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017

Id pump the brakes on that sort of talk until he wins a cup.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Three games in a row with no assists. Points in only ONE of those games

Not time to panic just yet but something to keep an eye on , hopefully he can picker up starting TODAY
I can’t wait. I’ve already started to panic. Suggest you do the same as it’s safer this way

TheOtherGM

Jan 8, 2007

Typical negative Canucks fan, putting a limit on how good Elias can be.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Typical negative Canucks fan, putting a limit on how good Elias can be.

Oh man one of my biggest fears is reading too much HFboards and having the negativity rub off on me. I definitely think Elias has the potential to be the top 4, no 3, no 2, no 1, no top 0 players in the history of hockey is that better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad