Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Calder Trophy winner

Status
Not open for further replies.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I'm getting worried. Dahlin has 37 points. I don't think Pettersson is the clear cut Calder winner anymore. Have to get some points down the stretch here.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
He hasn’t been on the same level after the 2nd injury. It sucks cause he was flat out dominant the last 3-4 games up until that injury. Damn Kotka.

Reactions: mathonwy

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I was told it was Dahlen who wanted to be traded, but I guess there's always two versions to a story.

Here's an article from a Swedish tabloid, where Dahlen has been interviewed regarding his time in Utica and the trade. According to Dahlen, he certainly doesn't share Benning's view and comments on the matter, more like the opposite. I will loosely translate what is being written, or you can just translate it yourselves if you're interesting in reading it.

"I've really just told them all the time that I want to play here, deserve my ice time and feel good - the agent has sent it along and in the end I guess they got tired of me not feeling that great, so they chose to trade me", Dahlen says to Sundsvalls Tidning.

Dahlen also says he has shut down his social media accounts, because of the combination of feeling down and Vancouver fans being very hostile towards him. He also says he thinks his former teammates and captains in Utica are fantastic and supportive.

But, he doesn't like the way they try to develop players in Utica. That kind of way has had an opposite effect on himself and he felt trampled on instead of uplifted. Instead of becoming a better hockey player, he feels he has regressed in Utica. He has felt he has been afraid to do something creative offensively, in fear of being benched if he makes a mistake, suffocating his game and development.

I'm pretty sure Pettersson is one of those guys who've also heard Dahlen's version of the story and not just the official Canucks story from Benning. I also don't think it puts the Canucks organization in a good light, if you would ask Pettersson about it off the record, but that's just my speculation.

Last edited:

Jabba The Hutton

Nucks STH
Jul 28, 2009
UBC
We could also use less of miserable Vancouver sports fans overreacting to every small thing and taking their anger out on professional player's Twitter accounts. I'm not saying it's all roses with our teams right now, but nothing justifies taking it out on these guys. Ever.

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
We could also use less of miserable Vancouver sports fans overreacting to every small thing and taking their anger out on professional player's Twitter accounts. I'm not saying it's all roses with our teams right now, but nothing justifies taking it out on these guys. Ever.

Social media will always have trolls and haters. The more followers you have, the more hate you receive. Simple as that.

It could be a lot worse like the Leafs fans booing Jake Gardiner at home.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
My take on social media is, in old times every village had a village idiot, who mainly spoke nonsense. The rest of the villagers just tuned him/ her out and never bothered. But today in social media, every village idiot has the same voice as anyone else. Also, like a comedian put it, in old times, someone might've started with the hobby of fornicating with sheep and other livestock. If this was discovered, that person would feel very ashamed by the other villagers. But today, they can create communities around said activity and share their experiences in how to best fornicate with livestock.

A global Internet will result in a lot of former village idiots and sheep fornicators having their voices heard and shared. I don't have any social media myself, as very little good can come out of it.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
Was i exaggerating hoping for 62point? This sucks...

Not that 62 points in 70 something games would be bad, but I'm pretty sure he'll top that. In March he'll have plenty of opportunities against the Oilers, Rangers, Devils, Sens, Kings and Ducks.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Not that 62 points in 70 something games would be bad, but I'm pretty sure he'll top that. In March he'll have plenty of opportunities against the Oilers, Rangers, Devils, Sens, Kings and Ducks.
I would have been happy with 56 before he spoiled us. Would be nice to se him get going again.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I was told it was Dahlen who wanted to be traded, but I guess there's always two versions to a story.

Here's an article from a Swedish tabloid, where Dahlen has been interviewed regarding his time in Utica and the trade. According to Dahlen, he certainly doesn't share Benning's view and comments on the matter, more like the opposite. I will loosely translate what is being written, or you can just translate it yourselves if you're interesting in reading it.

"I've really just told them all the time that I want to play here, deserve my ice time and feel good - the agent has sent it along and in the end I guess they got tired of me not feeling that great, so they chose to trade me", Dahlen says to Sundsvalls Tidning.

Dahlen also says he has shut down his social media accounts, because of the combination of feeling down and Vancouver fans being very hostile towards him. He also says he thinks his former teammates and captains in Utica are fantastic and supportive.

But, he doesn't like the way they try to develop players in Utica. That kind of way has had an opposite effect on himself and he felt trampled on instead of uplifted. Instead of becoming a better hockey player, he feels he has regressed in Utica. He has felt he has been afraid to do something creative offensively, in fear of being benched if he makes a mistake, suffocating his game and development.

I'm pretty sure Pettersson is one of those guys who've also heard Dahlen's version of the story and not just the official Canucks story from Benning. I also don't think it puts the Canucks organization in a good light, if you would ask Pettersson about it off the record, but that's just my speculation.

Thanks. Reafirms my position that Utica is a place where players rarely get better.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster

This is really concerning. Damn. Sigh.

Reactions: supercanuck

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016

Yikes, that's not good at all if true.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

So what?
A close to busting prosorctcis gonna hold the gun to a multi millions organization?

His agent asked for a trade, he’s gone now.
Whatever he says about the Canucks from now on is irrelevant, especially someone who’s unproven

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Pettersson is slowing down and looks frustrated at times, much different demeanour than earlier in the season. I wonder if it’s due to a revolving door of different wingers where he can’t develop chemistry quick enough before his linemates change again or maybe it’s fatigue catching up with the youngster? Hopefully he snaps out of it and puts up a few points against the Maple Laughs.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018

My biggest takeaway from Benning was when he said that the guy they got in the trade was on a developmental curve better suited for the organization. In other words they currently don’t have any roster space to bring up someone full time from Utica, so they traded someone that is knocking on the door for someone who is a few years away.

Goldobin-Pettersson-Boeser
Baertschi-Horvat-Leivo
Roussel-Gaudette-Virtanen
Pearson-Beagle-Eriksson
Spooner-Sutter-Motte
Out: Schaller, Granlund

They have no roster spots for prospects, the roster is full of garbage and Benning is literally fu**ed.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
So what?
A close to busting prosorctcis gonna hold the gun to a multi millions organization?

His agent asked for a trade, he’s gone now.
Whatever he says about the Canucks from now on is irrelevant, especially someone who’s unproven
I think you missed the point. "His agent asked for a trade", according to who? Benning? Have you heard the actual agent being quoted on that? Because Dahlen is being quoted on the exact opposite of what Benning claims. Either Benning, Dahlen or the agent is lying. I have my suspicions who it is. It's not hard to picture a meeting with the Utica staff and Benning, where they claim Dahlen is struggling and not developing properly. Solution? Trade Dahlen. Looking into WHY he's not developing? Meh.

How can his words be irrelevant, just because he's gone now? Especially because of what he said about Utica management, which is quite alarming. But if you're fine with Utica developing robot forwards who can never enter the offensive zone with possession, who always dump and chase, who don't think, they just dump or shoot from basically anywhere... sure, you have nothing to worry about. System players that can't see options and execute from that. I'm sure the Canucks are severely lacking talentless, systematic bottom 6 forwards at this point, so it should be fine, because Utica are creating a bunch of them.

Remember when Virtanen started playing for the Canucks? Yeah... he was hopeless at the start to get any offense going. He couldn't cycle to save his life, he just dumped it away or shot from anywhere. Passing the puck or holding on to it for a while longer? Pff, who needs passing when you can coin flip the possession away or get a harmless shot on net? Are you seeing the bigger picture here?

This is why I would still recommend Euro players who aren't of Pettersson quality, to never come over too early. Stay a season or two, to develop more properly, because you never know what braindead system you will get stuck in, where you play more games than actually practicing.

Last edited:

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I think you missed the point. "His agent asked for a trade", according to who? Benning? Have you heard the actual agent being quoted on that? Because Dahlen is being quoted on the exact opposite of what Benning claims. Either Benning, Dahlen or the agent is lying. I have my suspicions who it is. It's not hard to picture a meeting with the Utica staff and Benning, where they claim Dahlen is struggling and not developing properly. Solution? Trade Dahlen. Looking into WHY he's not developing? Meh.

How can his words be irrelevant, just because he's gone now? Especially because of what he said about Utica management, which is quite alarming. But if you're fine with Utica developing robot forwards who can never enter the offensive zone with possession, who always dump and chase, who don't think, they just dump or shoot from basically anywhere... sure, you have nothing to worry about. System players that can't see options and execute from that. I'm sure the Canucks are severely lacking talentless, systematic bottom 6 forwards at this point, so it should be fine, because Utica are creating a bunch of them.

Remember when Virtanen started playing for the Canucks? Yeah... he was hopeless at the start to get any offense going. He couldn't cycle to save his life, he just dumped it away or shot from anywhere. Passing the puck or holding on to it for a while longer? Pff, who needs passing when you can coin flip the possession away or get a harmless shot on net? Are you seeing the bigger picture here?

This is why I would still recommend Euro players who aren't of Pettersson quality, to never come over too early. Stay a season or two, to develop more properly, because you never know what braindead system you will get stuck in, where you play more games than actually practicing.

Dahlen’s words sound nothing but damage control to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad