NFL: Eli Manning benched, Daniel Jones named Giants starting QB

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
nice
that puts a pretty big hole in your entire "he only had 2 good months" argument then, since Eli is top 10 in a lot of the important QB stats.
My argument is he is an average at best QB when he's compared to his peers. You're in love with his career totals that came from him piling up 15 average seasons.

Reactions: b1e9a8r5s

Elvis P

B side fan
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
The Giants QBs are a guy who will turn 39 January 3rd, the 59th best rookie in the draft according to Scouts Inc, and a guy who played Division III football. Good job, GM.

Sep 19, 2008
The hof is extremely open anyway esp to qbs

It's not like the baseball one

He'll get in without an issue.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Eli should ask for a trade - he's either washed up and they should release him, or let him play elsewhere where he'll be appreciated.

Two-time Superbowl MVP shouldn't be treated like dirt.

Reactions: TheAngryHank

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
John Elway being in HOF and considered among the greatest QB's is what truly lowered HOF bar

Elway is easily the most overrated QB IMO

And since Elway is considered a HOF QB then blocking Eli makes even less sense

Also Eli has more of a case then Aikmen

Agree for the most part but Aikman is the most overrated QB.

It kills me tho, Aikman played fo 10 years didn't do much outside of the 3 Super Bowls. Yet nobody questions his HOF status (maybe that has to do with Cowboys Nation being so big+vast)

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
This game is either gonna be 42-38 or 42-10 Tampa. Tampa is either gonna be able to stifle the Giants offense or they aren’t and we know the Giants won’t stop Tampa. I think Jones throws for around 200 yards either way it’s just a question of whether his TD-INT breakdown is 1-3 or 4-3

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I hope Jones ends up being awesome just for how much people shit on that pick.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Safe to say Eli Manning has started his last game in the NFL unless Jones REALLY goes off a cliff in the next couple weeks.

He looked good against a solid Cowboys defense, albeit it was garbage time and now this. It's his job to maintain.

member 157595

Agree for the most part but Aikman is the most overrated QB.

It kills me tho, Aikman played fo 10 years didn't do much outside of the 3 Super Bowls. Yet nobody questions his HOF status (maybe that has to do with Cowboys Nation being so big+vast)

Definitely. Aikman was a very good QB but he was not an elite one. Those Cowboys teams were carried by generational OL and DL depth, versatility and a punishing running game. That's not to say Aikman wasn't a very good player, he was, but he's not one of the best QB's of all time on his own.

I understand that the primary job of a QB is to lead his team to victory, but just because a team won doesn't mean their QB played better than the other. Christ, Trent Dilfer has more SB rings than Dan Marino and Dan Fouts combined, that alone is more than enough evidence to call that line of thinking into question.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Nobody is in love with the idea of Eli being in the hall of fame but there is 0 chance a 2x Super Bowl winning QB, who also won MVP both games fair or not is not going to get in. Especially with a guy like Aikman in.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
that's weird then, because there are only 6 active QBs with more pro bowl appearances than Eli
NFL Pro Bowl Selections Career Leaders | Pro-Football-Reference.com

If you want to look at Pro Bowls:

Phillip Rivers has 8
Big Ben has 6
Donovan McNabb - 6
Rich Gannon - 4
Boomer Esiason - 4
Cam Newton, Derek Carr, Andy Dalton, Alex Smith all have 3.

In 2018 there was 11 qb’s named, 2017 - 9, 2016 - 11.

4 in 15 years isn’t that impressive, especially when 2 of those years he was a replacement selection.

Anyways I think he gets in because of the 2 Super Bowls, 2 MVP’s, and him being a New York player.

I don’t think he should though:

- he’s never been an all time great in any season

- never had an all-pro season

- only won playoff games in 2/15 seasons

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
I feel bad for Romo, kinda, as there's a sizable group of HOF QBs who had rough records/stats in the playoffs. Having a couple of amazing runs of play in the playoffs is pretty rare for QBs [who aren't named Tom Brady].

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad