NFL: Eli Manning benched, Daniel Jones named Giants starting QB

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
It wouldn't be an Andrew Luck stunt if Eli did it. Not after 15 years.

And, to be clear, any criticism of Eli now is in no way a sign of a lack of respect for what he's accomplished in his career.
I can't picture this happening with Peyton , or Elway , but Ely ? These things should happen to the Cutlers of the world.
Im not making an argument it's not deserved , wrong way to go about it.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I can't picture this happening with Peyton , or Elway , but Ely ? These things should happen to the Cutlers of the world.
Im not making an argument it's not deserved , wrong way to go about it.

Technically, it happened with Peyton. Indy drafted Luck. And Peyton actually got cut to boot, no?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
362 TD's (8th in NFL History)
56,537 yds (7th in NFL History)
84.1 QB Rtg (45th in NFL History)
37 Career GWD (9th in NFL History)
4x Pro Bowler
2x SB MVP

There is really no reasonable argument to block him

He also has great record and stats in playoffs to go with his 2 SB MVP's

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
4x Pro Bowler
2x SB MVP

A 2x SB MVP/2x SB winning QB is almost always going to get in. & for all the criticism he got, he has the stats to back up his candidacy and even if he didn't, the prestige of his last name would get him in anyways.

Sure he was never top 3 at is position nor was he ever in the MVP discussion but he had a long + steady career, which brought his franchise two titles and some pretty good moments (Tyree + Manningham catches). It was always tough for him being Peytons younger brother but he turned out OK.

Truth is, he has had an incredible career, but it's been clear for a little while, in terms of his play, that he's hung on too long.

Hard not to when your team offers you 87 million/4 years. He'd of been stupid to walk away from that.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Dude is undefeated V NE in the Brady era in superbowls , the team has been basic garbage the past years. Dude deserves more respect.
I'm not a Giants fan but this bugs me a little.

He beat Brady because of his D and running game. Glorified game manager who was lucky to have Tuck and Co on D.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
4x Pro Bowler
2x SB MVP

The main argument to block him is that he was an average QB. I don't think he's a HOF QB, but I also know he will be in because of the Super Bowls and because he played in New York. If he had these exact same results playing for Arizona, he's not getting in.

He played a really long time during the most pass happy seasons in NFL history, so his stat totals inflate his actual results. He played 15 full seasons, and his comps to his peers show off just how average he was:
- only finished top ten in passer rating once in 2011 where he was 7th
- speaking of passer rating, he's only 24th among active QBs or 45th among all active or retired QBs
- only once top ten in completion percentage when he finished 9th in 2010
- only made the Pro Bowl 4 times, which is an amazingly low number considering how many alternates get added each season due to injuries or playoffs

I'm not a big fan of using team wins and losses to judge a QB, but considering that the biggest part of the case people are making for him is based on the two Super Bowl runs, it's worth noting those two Super Bowl seasons were the only seasons where he had playoffs wins. 13 of his 15 seasons had no playoff wins.

I'm not saying a guy has to be great for a decade to get in, but a guy has to have some stretch where he's considered one of the best at his job, right? Sure there were a few seasons were Eli was an above average starting QB, but he was never even once top five.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Dude is undefeated V NE in the Brady era in superbowls , the team has been basic garbage the past years. Dude deserves more respect.
I'm not a Giants fan but this bugs me a little.
The last time he beat Brady in a Super Bowl was eight seasons ago. This is his 16th season. How much more respect can the Giants offer than to let him keep the job unchallenged for all of those years despite getting very pedestrian play all while paying him very generously for that generic QB play? Since winning that last Super Bowl, the Giants will have paid Eli $141 million to get in return the 41st best QB if looking at total QB ratings over that 2012-now span. Click the link if you want. Eli was not good, yet they kept paying him and playing him. Eight years of leash is more than enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: BSHH

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
The main argument to block him is that he was an average QB. I don't think he's a HOF QB, but I also know he will be in because of the Super Bowls and because he played in New York. If he had these exact same results playing for Arizona, he's not getting in.

He played a really long time during the most pass happy seasons in NFL history, so his stat totals inflate his actual results. He played 15 full seasons, and his comps to his peers show off just how average he was:
- only finished top ten in passer rating once in 2011 where he was 7th
- speaking of passer rating, he's only 24th among active QBs or 45th among all active or retired QBs
- only once top ten in completion percentage when he finished 9th in 2010
- only made the Pro Bowl 4 times, which is an amazingly low number considering how many alternates get added each season due to injuries or playoffs

I'm not a big fan of using team wins and losses to judge a QB, but considering that the biggest part of the case people are making for him is based on the two Super Bowl runs, it's worth noting those two Super Bowl seasons were the only seasons where he had playoffs wins. 13 of his 15 seasons had no playoff wins.

I'm not saying a guy has to be great for a decade to get in, but a guy has to have some stretch where he's considered one of the best at his job, right? Sure there were a few seasons were Eli was an above average starting QB, but he was never even once top five.
The simple fact he's a Manning will probably get him in.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
The last time he beat Brady in a Super Bowl was eight seasons ago. This is his 16th season. How much more respect can the Giants offer than to let him keep the job unchallenged for all of those years despite getting very pedestrian play all while paying him very generously for that generic QB play? Since winning that last Super Bowl, the Giants will have paid Eli $141 million to get in return the 41st best QB if looking at total QB ratings over that 2012-now span. Click the link if you want. Eli was not good, yet they kept paying him and playing him. Eight years of leash is more than enough.
The last time anyone besides Eli beat Brady in two suprebowls was never.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
How many times has Eli beat Brady since that last Super Bowl?
He beat him when it mattered, Foles is the only other QB who can say that. NFL throws money at QBs for a hell of a lot less.. How much did Romo make for what , one maybe two playoff wins? Look at Minni chucking money around for nothing. Eli got paid and deserved it more than every other QB not named Brady.

Reactions: Voight

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Eli always had the physiognomy of some homeless man the Giants had suddenly plucked off the street and declared that he was now their NFL QB. He should be in HoF for that alone.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
4x Pro Bowler
2x SB MVP

Lol at including his QB rating as a plus for his HOF case. He's behind such "legends" as Schaub, Dalton, Foles, Alex Smith, Winston, Tanehill, Kennum, Cutler and Flacco.

Eli will make it but only because of his two rings and MVPs. But without the SBs he has no case at all, beyond longevity. He'd be football Fred McGriff. He was never great, but hung along forever.

Seasons with a top 5 finish....

Passing yds :3 (two 4ths and a 5)
Passing TDs: 2 (two 4ths)
Rating :0 (Best season was 7th with a 92.9)
Ints : 8 (3 1st, 1 2nd, 2 4ths and 1 5th)

I wouldn't put him in, but I suspect he makes it.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
He beat him when it mattered, Foles is the only other QB who can say that. NFL throws money at QBs for a hell of a lot less.. How much did Romo make for what , one maybe two playoff wins? Look at Minni chucking money around for nothing. Eli got paid and deserved it more than every other QB not named Brady.
Saying that Eli should be QB for life all because of something he did last decade is a really dumb way to run an organization.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I've said it before, but Eli was Jay Cutler with better body language, better health and a horseshoe up his ass.

Obviously Eli played a lot longer so his raw numbers are much higher, but on a per game basis, they were the same damn guy.

Cutler
74-79 W-L
62 comp %
4.9 TD%
3.3 INT%
7.0 Y/A
229.6 ypg
85.3 Rating

Eli
116-116
60.3 comp%
4.5 TD%