News Article: Eklund's Take on Callahan

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
He's averaging about 3 minutes of ice time per game fewer this year than he did the last two seasons under Tortorella.

2013-2014 17:52
2013 21:31
2011-2012 21:02

It's his lowest average TOI since 2008-2009. Richards, Stepan, Zucc, Nash, Kreider and Brassard all average more power play time. I'm not saying he can't go back to playing 20+ minutes a game of tough hockey. I just don't know if it is going to happen on the Rangers with the coach and current makeup of the team. Players' roles evolve over the course of their careers as coaches, systems and teammates change.

It's not that I feel like he's an unimportant player. The Rangers will have a large void to fill if he leaves--in the locker room, defensively and on the PK, his checking game, etc. But we know how big these free agency deals get and the longevity concerns for players who play the style Callahan plays. If he were willing to sign a 3-year deal, I'd have no problem with Sather offering him a lot of money. I just think he's going to get a huge offer from some other team in terms of money and role and he has every right to take it.

Great post, agreed with everything here.

ltsthinaz

Dec 20, 2011
Kingman, Arizona
To add my 42 million sense, let's not forget he is a free agent on July 1st. Since most agree we aren't truly Cup contenders this year, why not trade him, bring up JT Miller to take his role and grow into it, get back some good prospects, and if they feel he's indispensable, give him the 7 yrs/42 mil he wants in July (personally I would not give him a package worth more than, say, 4 yrs @ 5 million per).

I also think for a trade to get more than he is really worth as a rental, we might want to look for teams with depth in the organization, who are real good, probably an outside chance at a Cup but might elevate to elite status with Callahan. I'm personally thinking of the Bruins, who in my judgment are just a notch below Pittsburgh and the Ducks and Hawks, mostly because their power play reeks, and they could use a net presence like Cally and have the assets/prospects to get him.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
If the Rangers were close to competing for a cup, I would be on board with this. I think it is very unlikely that they are, and furthermore I do not believe Ryan Callahan will be instrumental to a cup run.

Just me, but I think right now we're a lot closer than people think. And Cally could absolutely play a big role.

I realize that a fan does nothing better than over or under estimate his teams chances, but I think my reasoning is sound.

We have maybe the best goal tender in the world. We have a very solid D core. The first two items give us a chance to play with anyone. Especially if Hank gets red hot.

Our forwards may not be the most talented, but are better than they have been all year. We have a team finding their identity and four lines that look to be clicking. I think the Rangers are in much better shape and could be poised to do some real damage.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
Just me, but I think right now we're a lot closer than people think. And Cally could absolutely play a big role.

I realize that a fan does nothing better than over or under estimate his teams chances, but I think my reasoning is sound.

We have maybe the best goal tender in the world. We have a very solid D core. The first two items give us a chance to play with anyone. Especially if Hank gets red hot.

Our forwards may not be the most talented, but are better than they have been all year. We have a team finding their identity and four lines that look to be clicking. I think the Rangers are in much better shape and could be poised to do some real damage.

I really don't like the direction the team's been heading in, but I have to agree here.

This team is littered with under performing players. The downside is inconsistency, the upside is potential. We're seeing what happens when Nash is hot and Hank is on. We have a 3rd line clicking in what I think is an unsustinable way, and a 2nd line that has seen 6 game stretches of being the 1st line, and just as many that look like the 4th. They ought to even out, or the lines may get shifted a little.

Staal has been stellar, McD will win a Norris at this rate, Girardi is at his BEST when he's got a star player in front of him (but tends to go full-Pejorative Slur in front of a 4th liner, go figure).

This team could do it. They PROBABLY won't. There are too many issues, including what I think is the wrong coach, system, and mentality. But to say this team doesn't have a shot is to deny the potential of the line-up, which we haven't (and may never) see.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
He's averaging about 3 minutes of ice time per game fewer this year than he did the last two seasons under Tortorella.

2013-2014 17:52
2013 21:31
2011-2012 21:02

It's his lowest average TOI since 2008-2009. Richards, Stepan, Zucc, Nash, Kreider and Brassard all average more power play time. I'm not saying he can't go back to playing 20+ minutes a game of tough hockey. I just don't know if it is going to happen on the Rangers with the coach and current makeup of the team. Players' roles evolve over the course of their careers as coaches, systems and teammates change.

It's not that I feel like he's an unimportant player. The Rangers will have a large void to fill if he leaves--in the locker room, defensively and on the PK, his checking game, etc. But we know how big these free agency deals get and the longevity concerns for players who play the style Callahan plays. If he were willing to sign a 3-year deal, I'd have no problem with Sather offering him a lot of money. I just think he's going to get a huge offer from some other team in terms of money and role and he has every right to take it.

That's a very solid post, but the stuff you itemize that we would lose can't be underestimated. I'm hopeful a deal can be done that keeps him here. I also realize it may not work out and that would be a significant loss for this team.

There ya go.

Mr Atoz*

When people were arguing who to make captain and later on to trade either Callahan or Dubinsky I was in the minority in Dubinsky's corner. I think he was and is the better player. And I think they played well together. I like Callahan and I hope they can keep him although not at first line money. But if they already waited too long and get nothing for him then that's a disgrace and another black mark on Sather's already solid black record.

JoeGarelli

Jun 24, 2013
How about we look at it this way. His agent is smart and he knows how much the team can pay before it hurts their chances at a solid team. If he is asking above that number and Cally is ok with it because he wants a max payout....what does that say about his leadership and desire to stay here?

I understand he wants to get paid and I would too. All I'm saying is lets not go crazy about his intangibles and leadership and bleeding blue blah blah blah if he is willing to leave for more money. It's not like the team doesnt want to keep him for a reasonable amount.

i think thats two seperate areas.. As we have found out NHL is a business first a foremost.. After you are looked after and signed, then you can lead..

JoeGarelli

Jun 24, 2013
I love Ryan Callahan.

I also realize hes not worth $42M, and any team that gives him a 7 year deal will regret it before its over. Perhaps most importantly, I realize times-a-tickin' on being able to get a return for him.

I get your point. And I say point because its a singular point about his intangibles. I just happen to think its an incredibly narrow and not well thought out view of the entire scenario.

i think you should realize the numbers from the article are 5 years 6 million bucks a season.. not 7seasons a 7 million bucks..

if you can get cally for a high 5 million number, or a low 6 million number you do it..

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
i think you should realize the numbers from the article are 5 years 6 million bucks a season.. not 7seasons a 7 million bucks..

if you can get cally for a high 5 million number, or a low 6 million number you do it..

Thanks for the advice. Though I usually tend to not realize things that are simply untrue.

I think you're looking at Girardi's numbers.

7 years/$42M, $6M per. Thats whats being reported. Might not be exact, but I certainly agree thats what hes probably requesting at this point. Why wouldnt he?

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Callahan has no obligation to take a hometown discount.

He can get 7 million on the open market.

The idea that he will sign here for a cap friendly deal and term is pure fantasy.

GrimNYR8899*

Terrible article. Backed up with nothing but a superfluous "Callahan IS the NY Rangers". Nope. That would be Henrik Lundqvist. After that, it'd be Ryan McDonagh. And I'd argue we have 5-6 more players that are more valuable to this team than Callahan currently is.

Yeah it's terrible,yet he is well known in the NHL world and you air,are a no body,get over yourself,your a mod on a forum.

OP yeah I can see why you appreciate the article

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Yeah it's terrible,yet he is well known in the NHL world and you air,are a no body,get over yourself,your a mod on a forum.

OP yeah I can see why you appreciate the article
Because people who are well known are always the smartest.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

The Rangers aren't THAT far, but the pieces they are missing are very significant and hard to fill.

They need a dynamic #1 center, an offensive defenseman that can rush the puck, and a top 6 LW, preferably with size.

nikonsniper*

The dunce brings up "is callahan worth 6 million"

Well sure, right, now. But what about in years 5-6-7 when he has a cane instead of a stick? How much is the heart and soul worth then?

If there was a way we could keep *this* callahan for six years and six million, i'd take it. but we are going to be getting less and less of this callahan every year.

D713B

Mar 9, 2008
I don't sign any pay checks, and I don't receive any from the team. I'm a fan, so it's not "a business" to me. I understand it's a business to Callahan and the Rangers, but I'm not them. None of us are, so it's okay to be emotional about the potential departure of the team's captain and many people's favorite player.

Great take, buddy. Long time, no talk, hope you're doing well.

It's an unfortunate choice between the heart and soul of the team and the quintessential UFA business decision. I'm sure either way, the outcome will be bittersweet.

DekeR

Jan 11, 2008
A team can only absorb so many 6M$ contracts in a given year. If the players skill set does not match the current skill set that is being applied by the coach you are short changing your competitiveness on the ice. To me Callahan's skill set does not fit into the current system and 6M is a hell of alot of cap to be wrong on. I say let him go via trade.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Who is going to pay him that?

Flames, Panthers, and Sabres I absolutely see throwing that money at him.

Don't underestimate the stupidity of GM's during free agency.

Remember, Edmonton offered David Clarkson 6 million for 7 years. One 30 goal season, and he punches people sometimes.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Lost in all of this trade talk, I for one, will be very sad to see Callahan go. I still love the guy, even if he's an idiot on ice sometimes, and he's commanding an outrageous contract. I'll still appreciate all he's done for this organization.

Radek27

May 19, 2004
NJ
Callahan has to come down in either $$ or term he can't get it both ways.....he has to understand he's not a top line player.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
You can see it happening already. The fallacy that this team is close to a championship and that dream is dead if they trade Callahan.

Expensive dream.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Callahan has to come down in either $$ or term he can't get it both ways.....he has to understand he's not a top line player.

Why should he? He's been played like a top line player his whole career. Played close to 22 minutes a game under Torts. I'd milk every dollar and year out of every team too if I were him.

Fact of the matter is, the contract he's looking for he very likely wont get here. But, he will get it somewhere else.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00