News Article: Eklund's Take on Callahan

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Terrible article. Backed up with nothing but a superfluous "Callahan IS the NY Rangers". Nope. That would be Henrik Lundqvist. After that, it'd be Ryan McDonagh. And I'd argue we have 5-6 more players that are more valuable to this team than Callahan currently is.

Nope. Henrik, then Callahan, then (whoever).

I never wanted Dubi or arty gone either. Rather traded someone who wasn't a homegrown.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I don't think people realize the influence Callahan has on the Rangers. He's the beloved gritty captain, PWF type that brings nastiness, toughness and many intangibles that can't be measured on the scoresheet. Remember, you're not a true Rangers fan if you want to see Callahan go or so I've been told.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
This fan base will never, ever learn. It's just the way it is.

If this team had Dubi on that 3rd line right now (and I love our 3rd line) we would be flat better. Period. Just my take. Dubi and Zucc would be awesome together.

Right.

Lets run the team on emotion rather than business acumen

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I don't think people realize the influence Callahan has on the Rangers. He's the beloved gritty captain, PWF type that brings nastiness, toughness and many intangibles that can't be measured on the scoresheet. Remember, you're not a true Rangers fan if you want to see Callahan go or so I've been told.

Whoever told you that is an idiot.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
"Lose him for nothing if you have to... at least you tried to win something"

What a tremendous amount of fecal matter.

IF this is what Glenny-Boy is thinking we're in worse trouble than I feared.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
yes...we totally failed on that dubinsky trade...i mean let's compare Nash and Dubinsky since the trade...

Dubinsky: 76GP 13G 41A 54P
Nash: 82GP 39G 30A 69P

Nash made the playoffs once, and his team is on pace to do it again..
Columbus didn't make the playoffs last year, and is out of it as of this moment (though not far out either)

Let's also remember that Nash had 2 concussions in that time frame, which is a big negative, but also accounts for a cold stretch after coming back from those injuries.

That's such a no brainer trade to me. I'll take Nash 1000000000 times out of 1000000000

Nash can take over games single handedly.

Can Dubinsky? No.

Nash has 7 goals in his last 6 games. Dubinsky has 7 goals in his last 30 games.

I can't believe people are still arguing this point. The reason the Nash trade was "Dud" so to speak is because Marian Gaborik and Brad Richards were AWFUL.

If we had the Richards and Gabby of the year before, that team would have been one of the best teams in the NHL.

LittleKev6D9

Unregistered User
Dec 14, 2011
Middletown
Callahan has been hurt 3 times this year alone. Anyone can see his body is starting to betray him and that's going to happen when you play as physical and hard-nosed a style as Callahan does. Last year with Torts I'd say Callahan was worth 5.5 million or so. For AV he's become a 3rd liner.

I'd trade Callahan today if the Rangers got the right return.

vladmyir111

Mar 27, 2007
Am I mistaken or is this all stemming from that Brooks article where he just randomly decided Girardi negotiations are going well and Cally's aren't?

Sure 5mil is a lot and sure he'll probably decline in 3-4 years, but he's having an off year, he's not Petr Prucha. He would have to be replaced by someone and that someone will not really be equal unless he's paid just as much or close to it.

Kind of bogus to trade your captain just because he's having an off year, its not like we're going to get a 30 goal scorer in return.

*Bob Richards*

"those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it. "

Exactly why the Rangers shouldn't give a seven year contract to an asset likely to decline quickly.

Yup.

This article wasn't very good.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I think that's a bit harsh. They were too attached to the player though to hash back with rational arguments.

I dont think its particularly harsh. When an argument is as limited as "I love the guy, so we should keep him," and puts a cherry on top with the "real fan" card.....thats an idiot.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I understand were you are coming from. I used to be just like you. Than I started buying season tickets, & as the price increased per year my patience decreased especially after going through all the consecutive non playoff years.

So for me it has become a business, he because I use my tickets as a tool to entertain clients or reward my employees I have looked at it from a much different point of view the past 2 years. People want to see a some what compete team being iced.

I don't apologie for being a business man first & a fan second.

I wouldn't ask you to. How you enjoy the sport is up to you. For me, "business" is in no way part of my interest in the game, and I'd think the vast majority of folks are in the same boat.

ThisYearsModel

Mar 4, 2004
This is what sucks about the cap. We are finally a deep enough team to have Cally playing on the 3rd line, which is where he ALWAYS should have been playing. Our crappy management resulted in a 3rd line guy getting first and second line minutes, PP time and so on and, to Cally's credit, he did something with those minutes. Now that we have a little depth, we cannot afford to keep it. There is no way Cally is worth $6MM per. I like the idea mentioned above.....make the best deal you can for Cally out west, and trade for Dubinsky back if he is available.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Right.

Lets run the team on emotion rather than business acumen

Ok. You're Mensa.....or something. Please bear with me then.

Hockey is about winning. That is what I think Callahan is. A guy that helps you win hockey games. To me then it would be extremely good acumen to do everything possible to keep him. I understand he has a very good chance of not being here next year. But I also believe that Callahan is likely to go right on doing what he always has.

Make people dead wrong about him.

Especially in those moments when a tough playoff series is on the line. My acumen tells me those are not easy guys to find, much less replace if you already are lucky enough to have them.

Simply put then, it is my belief that Ryan Callahan is the kind of player that helps a team win a Stanley Cup.

Come to think of it, it's not really acumen at all. With Callahan it's easy. It's just common sense.

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim

Hockey is about winning. That is what I think Callahan is. A guy that helps you win hockey games. To me then it would be extremely good acumen to do everything possible to keep him. I understand he has a very good chance of not being here next year. But I also believe that Callahan is likely to go right on doing what he always has.

Especially in those moments when a tough playoff series is on the line. My acumen tells me those are not easy guys to find, much less replace if you already are lucky enough to have them.

Simply put then, it is my belief that Ryan Callahan is the kind of player that helps a team win a Stanley Cup.

Come to think of it, it's not really acumen at all. With Callahan it's easy. It's just common sense.

Common sense is why you need to let him go unless his demands come down. 42 mill over 7 years for Callahan is way too much and will help ensure the Rangers stay a bubble team

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Sure it is.

As long as you take pretty much every single business factor out of the equation, which is ignorant.

You know what I also consider common sense? That we've already gotten the best out of Ryan Callahan.

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Rather amazing how many are saying what an asset Cally would be to other teams because of his intangibles but belittle his worth to this team based on those same qualities.

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
Rather amazing how many are saying what an asset Cally would be to other teams because of his intangibles but belittle his worth to this team based on those same qualities.

Actually it's pretty straight forward.

Callahan still is a guy who most fans would love on their team He's a guy who will fetch a decent return and will get paid if he hits UFA. It is very likely that a team will give him close to 7 mill.

That does not mean the Rangers should do so. With the FA re-signings the Rangers need to do this season and next, over paying for Callahan would put them in cap trouble, even if Richards is bought out. Signing him to a long term deal when he is very likely to regress would also create problems for future years.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Callahan has definitely slowed a bit this season with his multiple freak injuries but I'm sure he will recover much like we are seeing Staal and Nash doing so. That said, with hockey about winning, a top form Callahan is always a boost to any club.

In bizzaro NHL, if Edmonton offered RNH for Callahan, of course he is not untouchable, even in his best years. One just needs to look at what personnel gives you the best chance at winning. Part of that determination is cap management at which point you ask yourself, is Callahan worth 7 years $42M? Not at his current level. Even at his best level of 29-25-54, well... market rate it's debatable but a lot of players, much better players, have gotten less.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

That's because we don't have the raw talent to win. Intangibles only get you so far. They're a lot more valuable to a true contender or, perhaps, an up-and-coming team that's composed of nearly all kids. The Rangers have some work to do on their own core - then and only then, can we bring in intangibles guys.

That said, the Drury and Holik fiascos should teach us not to bring those guys in if they're on ridiculous contracts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad