News Article: Eklund's Take on Callahan

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Terrible article. Backed up with nothing but a superfluous "Callahan IS the NY Rangers". Nope. That would be Henrik Lundqvist. After that, it'd be Ryan McDonagh. And I'd argue we have 5-6 more players that are more valuable to this team than Callahan currently is.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
I don't care for Eklund, but I do agree that what Ryan Callahan brings to the team will be sorely missed when it's gone. and it may very well set the team back way more than what we think it will. Callahan is the last forward on this team that is truly heart and soul. You need someone like that on your team for it to have a backbone and a pulse. And after Callahan, there isn't a single player behind him that can fill his void. Not one. We lost Prust because of money. We traded Dubi for Nash. You can't give up Cally unless you're getting a Cally back. So, I'd say don't bother with this idea unless you're blown out of the water by an offer. If Cally goes and Nash becomes captain, this team will live and die with Nash's streakiness just like the old columbus blue jackets did for nearly a decade.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I don't care for Eklund, but I do agree that what Ryan Callahan brings to the team will be sorely missed when it's gone. and it may very well set the team back way more than what we think it will. Callahan is the last forward on this team that is truly heart and soul. You need someone like that on your team for it to have a backbone and a pulse. And after Callahan, there isn't a single player behind him that can fill his void. Not one. We lost Prust because of money. We traded Dubi for Nash. You can't give up Cally unless you're getting a Cally back. So, I'd say don't bother with this idea unless you're blown out of the water by an offer. If Cally goes and Nash becomes captain, this team will live and die with Nash's streakiness just like the old columbus blue jackets did for nearly a decade.

Mats Zuccarello has certainly become a heart and soul player.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
The Cally situation reminds me of how the Drury situation played out in Buffalo. The difference being Drury was a much more established player at the time, with a couple of 30 plus goal seasons & a cup on his resume, & seldom injured.

The Sabres let him walk he comes here & we all know how that played out.

Cally's constant injuries have me very worried & I have to think it has the Rangers worried as well. In addition Cally is really pricing himself off of the team. Cally deserves every penny he can get & the Rangers deserve a return on him & if by trading him can net us a nice package in return than so be it.

It's a business people, not emotional. Leave the feelings at the door when you walk inside, & pick them up on your way out.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It's a business people, not emotional. Leave the feelings at the door when you walk inside, & pick them up on your way out.

I don't sign any pay checks, and I don't receive any from the team. I'm a fan, so it's not "a business" to me. I understand it's a business to Callahan and the Rangers, but I'm not them. None of us are, so it's okay to be emotional about the potential departure of the team's captain and many people's favorite player.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

If Cally goes via Trade or UFA, you can bet the farm that Nash WILL NOT BE CAPTAIN.

The C goes directly on the team best and most reliable player which is McDonagh.

Callahan has been pretty much MIA. He's not talented enough to bump Nash, Kreider, Stepan off the 1st pairing on the PP and while he IS more talented than Pouliot, Pouliot has shown better chemistry with Brassard and Zuccs for the 2nd PP unit.

He's a great PK'er and a better than average 3rd liner (closer to a 2nd liner) but not as good offensively as Zuccs is.

I like Callahan, I don't like Callahan at 6 per for 7 years.

C-ya

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
The Cally situation reminds me of how the Drury situation played out in Buffalo. The difference being Drury was a much more established player at the time, with a couple of 30 plus goal seasons & a cup on his resume, & seldom injured.

Cally's constant injuries have me very worried & I have to think it has the Rangers worried as well. In addition Cally is really pricing himself off of the team. Cally deserves every penny he can get & the Rangers deserve a return on him & if by trading him can net us a nice package in return than so be it.

Agreed.

I'm a Rangers fan.

I'm not a Callahan fan.
I'm not a Lundqvist fan.
I wasn't a Messier, Leetch or Graves fan.

I want players that can help the team win.

I would take Kaleta and Cooke on the Rangers if I believed they could help us win games.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
In a perfect world, Callahan WAS the Rangers. A guy with a relatively low ceiling when it comes to skill that more than made up for it with heart and determination.

The writing is on the wall. His role is being diminished by Vigneault. Doesn't mean theres no place for him on the team -- I wish a guy with that kind of heart could be a Ranger forever. Too bad his salary demands are completely out of whack -- collateral damage for a relatively unskilled Ranger team depending on him for so much for so long.

Cliffy1814

Nov 10, 2011

Very ture. He deserves (and will likely get) every penny he can.
People (not you) sometimes expect the player to take a hometown discount but fail to see the flipside which is "If I am worth $40 million over years to a new team who I have no relationship with why am I only worth $30M to the organization I have my poured my heart out for?"
There is no right or worng there, simply pointing out why the player almost never stays for less money when he gets to UFA status and that they leave because they feel a level of disrespect not because they are greedy pigs.

Rangers should:
1. Put best offer on table now
2. Entertain trade offers if he is unwilling to sign
3. Only trade him if they get a bounty (First plus a prospect)
4. Play out the year with Callay and Girardi in lineup
5. Trade him for a 4th, 5th, whatever they can get right before UFA signing period to Buffalo or whomever.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
On tortorella's rangers calllahan and hank were the rangers

In this system cally is prob the 7th or 8th or 9th most important player

Blow him out before the Olympics cause he'll prob get hurt over there it's been a whole 2 or 3 weeks without an injury he's due

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

True. But, sometime just doing it on the Ice is not enough. Callahan is a pretty good leader. That doesn't mean we don't have heart and soul players.

I do think he's expendable though. Playing a gritty, defensive style, Callahan is great. He's not so great when the play is quicker with better breakouts, and he's not very good when the game opens up.

Put him on on a team that grinds, and outworks other teams with their physical style, I'm sure he'd thrive again.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
True. But, sometime just doing it on the Ice is not enough. Callahan is a pretty good leader. That doesn't mean we don't have heart and soul players.

Like all of us, I can't say for sure, but I don't think Callahan is a particularly good or effective off-ice leader.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
"those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it. "

Exactly why the Rangers shouldn't give a seven year contract to an asset likely to decline quickly.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005

I truly appreciate what Mats brings to the team and the way he's developed. He's a very popular player with team mates. Dare I say he's been a Godsend.

No disrespect here. He's not binging the same things to that room that Cally does IMHO.

Trading or letting Cally walk would be like carving the heart out of this team with a wooden spoon.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Terrible article. Backed up with nothing but a superfluous "Callahan IS the NY Rangers". Nope. That would be Henrik Lundqvist. After that, it'd be Ryan McDonagh. And I'd argue we have 5-6 more players that are more valuable to this team than Callahan currently is.

......wow.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I don't sign any pay checks, and I don't receive any from the team. I'm a fan, so it's not "a business" to me. I understand it's a business to Callahan and the Rangers, but I'm not them. None of us are, so it's okay to be emotional about the potential departure of the team's captain and many people's favorite player.

I understand were you are coming from. I used to be just like you. Than I started buying season tickets, & as the price increased per year my patience decreased especially after going through all the consecutive non playoff years.

So for me it has become a business, he because I use my tickets as a tool to entertain clients or reward my employees I have looked at it from a much different point of view the past 2 years. People want to see a some what compete team being iced.

I don't apologie for being a business man first & a fan second.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
I will quickly add that if Cally goes to Brooklyn or Jersey, this franchise will absolutely rue the day.

If these rumors are true the Islanders, Devils and several other rivals are licking their chops. Hyenas beyond the fire ring.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
Much to the surprise of nobody, I agree with Eklund.

Everyone was screaming to trade Dubi when he struggled. Now? CBJ adores him, and most of this board misses what he brings to the team.

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
I understand the issues with the cap, but a year ago people would scoff at the thought of trading Callahan.

If he has to be traded there's nothing we can do about that, Ranger's management is going to do what they are going to do, but in the meantime I can say that I would be fairly disappointed if he was.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Much to the surprise of nobody, I agree with Eklund.

Everyone was screaming to trade Dubi when he struggled. Now? CBJ adores him, and most of this board misses what he brings to the team.

This fan base will never, ever learn. It's just the way it is.

If this team had Dubi on that 3rd line right now (and I love our 3rd line) we would be flat better. Period. Just my take. Dubi and Zucc would be awesome together.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
This fan base will never, ever learn. It's just the way it is.

If this team had Dubi on that 3rd line right now (and I love our 3rd line) we would be flat better. Period. Just my take. Dubi and Zucc would be awesome together.

Callahan for Dubinsky!

No, look... I was against trading Dubinsky for exactly these reasons, but this is a totally different situations. If the options are overpaying a player or trading a player, I choose trading the player. I don't want Callahan to go, but if he's priced himself off the team, that's the way it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad