News Article: Eklund's Take on Callahan

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Sure it is.

As long as you take pretty much every single business factor out of the equation, which is ignorant.

You know what I also consider common sense? That we've already gotten the best out of Ryan Callahan.

You're absolutely laughable in how condescending you are. Whatever.

Acumen is about a lot more than numbers. Especially in sports, where intangibles play an outsized role in any championship run. I have no idea what contract Ryan Callahan would except from the Rangers. Very few know that. You're not one of em.

I would say your common sense is a roll of the dice at best.

How many times have folks in this fan base thought we had seen the best in a player that we sent away?

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
You're absolutely laughable in how condescending you are. Whatever.

Acumen is about a lot more than numbers. Especially in sports, where intangibles play an outsized role in any championship run. I have no idea what contract Ryan Callahan would except from the Rangers. Very few know that. You're not one of em.

I would say your common sense is a roll of the dice at best.

How many times have folks in this fan base thought we had seen the best in a player that we sent away?

Not many.

Callahan is seeking 7 years/$42M. Even a fanboy like yourself has to understand thats insane.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Rather amazing how many are saying what an asset Cally would be to other teams because of his intangibles but belittle his worth to this team based on those same qualities.

Especially for those clamoring for toughness and grittiness.

Blue Seat Spartan

Permanent Vacation
Apr 24, 2012
Richmond County, NY
Callahan is indispensable yet expendable. When you have guys like Lindberg, Fast, and Kristo chomping at the bit down in HFD, it becomes an "up or out" scenario in regards to Cally's contribution to the Rangers. If there's a chance to improve our team's makeup short-term & long-term, you bite the bullet and take that chance.

Cally's a quintessential "heart and soul" player that other Rangers can seek to emulate, but you have to consider the risk of damage or diminished returns due to his playing style. Also, there are 29 other NHL teams who can claim to have their designated "heart and soul" guy or are seeking to seeking one to bolster their roster by acquiring one.

My point is that the Rangers should be open to trading Callahan if the best possible return becomes available. I'd estimate it to be worth at least a 1st round pick plus and NHL ready prospect. If I were Sather, and in an ideal scenario, I'd give Cally the professional courtesy of trading him to Buffalo (close to his hometown of Rochester) for picks & prospects and hopefully he decides to return to NYR on a reduced deal in the future -- I'm citing the Doug Weight scenario with the Hurricanes from the 2006 playoff run when he was rented from STL and then returned after winning a Cup.

It's the business aspect of hockey, but the least you could do is show decorum and cultivate a cordial working relationship between the players and the front office.

JoeGarelli

Jun 24, 2013
My point is that the Rangers should be open to trading Callahan if the best possible return becomes available. I'd estimate it to be worth at least a 1st round pick plus and NHL ready prospect. If I were Sather, and in an ideal scenario, I'd give Cally the professional courtesy of trading him to Buffalo (close to his hometown of Rochester) for picks & prospects and hopefully he decides to return to NYR on a reduced deal in the future -- I'm citing the Doug Weight scenario with the Hurricanes from the 2006 playoff run when he was rented from STL and then returned after winning a Cup.

this scenerio is the opposite.. buffalo isnt going on any cup runs anytime soon... so the rangers trade him away from their cup run.. only to have him sign in the offseason?

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY
I would be really disappointed if Callahan gets traded, however I feel like this situation is very similar to Chris Drury and Buffalo. When Buffalo decided not to resign him or Briere the Rangers put a lot of money in the contract for him to come to NY and then Drury's body fell apart. To be honest I would much rather make someone else pay for Callahan and get stuck if he starts to fall apart... rather then have him stuck with the Rangers.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Not many.

Callahan is seeking 7 years/$42M. Even a fanboy like yourself has to understand thats insane.

Who has quoted these numbers BRB? Has Callahan or his agent stated this publicly? And that it's written in stone.

Ryan Callahan: "I'll walk unless I get every penny of $42 Million"

Missed that head line.

But yeah, I guess you could say that in fact I am a fan boy...like every NHL GM that wants to win a Stanley Cup this year. The team that gets or keeps Ryan Callahan has a better chance of winning the Cup this year.

If the numbers are Soooooo insane why do so many seem prepared to pay the price?

Blue Seat Spartan

Permanent Vacation
Apr 24, 2012
Richmond County, NY
this scenerio is the opposite.. buffalo isnt going on any cup runs anytime soon... so the rangers trade him away from their cup run.. only to have him sign in the offseason?

That's another scenario I forgot to mention: sending a veteran presence to a rebuilding team who can mentor the young talent how to carry themselves on & off the ice as pro hockey players. Another factor to consider... And there's a chance to pilfer THAT high first-round pick in return - a win/win scenario:naughty:

Bottom line: the Rangers have to identify the players that they can keep to anchor the middle six. Is Callahan REALLY worth $6 million for a 2nd-3rd line type player who is injury prone and at the first stages of declining performance? Mike Keane would like to say hello...

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
I don't want to see him go, but there are a number of factors that are likely to lead to his departure. Even in a trade, the Rangers probably won't get back players who will be as immediately beneficial to the NHL team as Callahan is, but long term it is probably in the team's best interests to part ways with him if his salary demands are going to be what has been rumored. If he wants big money and a long deal, there's going to be a GM out there like Tallon with the green light from ownership to spend big money who will give it to him. The Rangers aren't going to match the best offers for a player who is playing a diminished role under Vigneault.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
That's another scenario I forgot to mention: sending a veteran presence to a rebuilding team who can mentor the young talent how to carry themselves on & off the ice as pro hockey players. Another factor to consider... And there's a chance to pilfer THAT high first-round pick in return - a win/win scenario:naughty:

Bottom line: the Rangers have to identify the players that they can keep to anchor the middle six. Is Callahan REALLY worth $6 million for a 2nd-3rd line type player who is injury prone and at the first stages of declining performance? Mike Keane would like to say hello...

$6 million is high. But the numbers thrown around in public forums or rumors tend to be high. Just like the speculation on the return you will get for a player. I'd guess that people will be disappointed by the return they see in a Callahan trade.

JoeGarelli

Jun 24, 2013
doesnt anyone else think the rangers December turn around was aaround the same time cally came back into the line up?

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
I don't want to see him go, but there are a number of factors that are likely to lead to his departure. Even in a trade, the Rangers probably won't get back players who will be as immediately beneficial to the NHL team as Callahan is, but long term it is probably in the team's best interests to part ways with him if his salary demands are going to be what has been rumored. If he wants big money and a long deal, there's going to be a GM out there like Tallon with the green light from ownership to spend big money who will give it to him. The Rangers aren't going to match the best offers for a player who is playing a diminished role under Vigneault.

He played 17 minutes on the second line last night. And the team has four lines playing pretty well right now. Maybe I'm missing something here.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Who has quoted these numbers BRB? Has Callahan or his agent stated this publicly? And that it's written in stone.

Ryan Callahan: "I'll walk unless I get every penny of $42 Million"

Missed that head line.

But yeah, I guess you could say that in fact I am a fan boy...like every NHL GM that wants to win a Stanley Cup this year. The team that gets or keeps Ryan Callahan has a better chance of winning the Cup this year.

If the numbers are Soooooo insane why do so many seem prepared to pay the price?
Because most GMs are spend happy and Callahan is seen around the league as this amazing leader (despite disappointing when it mattered most, in the playoffs, every year he's been there).

Slick Rick 61

Jul 11, 2007

The Panthers are a perfect fit for Ryan Callahan. Viola is allowing Tallon to spend, and with their re-build going very well, he's the kind of player you bring in. He's still a quality 2nd line player FOR NOW. In the near future, probably not. But a lead-by-example top 6 forward would be very valuable to them.

I actually think the Panthers will sign 2 big $ UFA's this off-season to accelerate the process and get these kids immediate help. Could easily see Callahan one of them. But whether or not he'd be interested in heading to Sunrise is something that remains to be seen.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
doesnt anyone else think the rangers December turn around was aaround the same time cally came back into the line up?

When you're a has been those kinds of things get pushed aside.

It's funny how people seem to drool over what they think a player could bring in a trade......with out fully considering why that would be so.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
When you're a has been those kinds of things get pushed aside.

It's funny how people seem to drool over what they think a player could bring in a trade......with out fully considering why that would be so.

I love Ryan Callahan.

I also realize hes not worth $42M, and any team that gives him a 7 year deal will regret it before its over. Perhaps most importantly, I realize times-a-tickin' on being able to get a return for him.

I get your point. And I say point because its a singular point about his intangibles. I just happen to think its an incredibly narrow and not well thought out view of the entire scenario.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Considering Cally's injury history, the fact that he has never hit the 30 goal mark it's rather ballsy of him to be looking for that type of contract.

If he wasn't so oft injured his numbers would look much better, he would have most likely have had two 30 plus goal seasons. Then I may be more inclined to find a common ground on his contract demands but I still wouldn't give him 7 years.

The reality is that Cally shouldn't be offered more than a 3 year $15 million deal. But these GM's go bonkers falling all over themselves to pay top dollar to anyone that will sign on the bottom line. Truth be told , any where Cally signs he will be signing for the money, no matter what type of spin he or his agent put on it it will be for one thing & one thing only Da' Money.

I only hope they are honest about it.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
I think we can all agree on that. $42 million is not the number.

It's the number that you start with....maybe. I don't know the true facts here. I do know you start high and then you haggle...really hard.

I also know that any GM wants this guy on their team and in their locker room and on the ice in any number of key situations. The reasons for that will be clear for at least the next few seasons.

If we signed him for $38 - $40 and we won even one cup, it would be worth it. That's not even including the benefit this guy could be to this organization far into the future.

Bottom line: He's a winner and great leader. If it's reasonable then it's doable. I'd bend the time space continuum to keep him here.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
Rangers don't have enough top 3 talent leading the way. This puts too much pressure on youth to perform and they regress... Callahan should be shopped in a package for a 25-30g scorer

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
I think we can all agree on that. $42 million is not the number.

It's the number that you start with....maybe. I don't know the true facts here. I do know you start high and then you haggle...really hard.

I also know that any GM wants this guy on their team and in their locker room and on the ice in any number of key situations. The reasons for that will be clear for at least the next few seasons.

If we signed him for $38 - $40 and we won even one cup, it would be worth it. That's not even including the benefit this guy could be to this organization far into the future.

Bottom line: He's a winner and great leader. If it's reasonable then it's doable. I'd bend the time space continuum to keep him here.

If the Rangers were close to competing for a cup, I would be on board with this. I think it is very unlikely that they are, and furthermore I do not believe Ryan Callahan will be instrumental to a cup run.

SKS

Jan 17, 2011
San Francisco
When we brought in AV we also signed off on a "more skill" type team. Cally has many great attributes. He hustles, he hits, he leads by example and he is better offensively than most other guys that carry equal skillsets. But he is not a skill player.
When you sign a guy to such a big contract (regardless if it is 42, 40, or even 35) you would like that player to be a great fit for a coach, will play to the best of his ability in the given system, and thrive in that very system.
I do not believe Cally is that player for us now.

History also tells us that players who constantly use their body get hurt more and have shorter careers (quite logically). I am petrified the team will overspend on him - regardless of my utter admiration for the player Ryan Callahan.

vladmyir111

Mar 27, 2007
How about we look at it this way. His agent is smart and he knows how much the team can pay before it hurts their chances at a solid team. If he is asking above that number and Cally is ok with it because he wants a max payout....what does that say about his leadership and desire to stay here?

I understand he wants to get paid and I would too. All I'm saying is lets not go crazy about his intangibles and leadership and bleeding blue blah blah blah if he is willing to leave for more money. It's not like the team doesnt want to keep him for a reasonable amount.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
He played 17 minutes on the second line last night. And the team has four lines playing pretty well right now. Maybe I'm missing something here.

He's averaging about 3 minutes of ice time per game fewer this year than he did the last two seasons under Tortorella.

2013-2014 17:52
2013 21:31
2011-2012 21:02

It's his lowest average TOI since 2008-2009. Richards, Stepan, Zucc, Nash, Kreider and Brassard all average more power play time. I'm not saying he can't go back to playing 20+ minutes a game of tough hockey. I just don't know if it is going to happen on the Rangers with the coach and current makeup of the team. Players' roles evolve over the course of their careers as coaches, systems and teammates change.

It's not that I feel like he's an unimportant player. The Rangers will have a large void to fill if he leaves--in the locker room, defensively and on the PK, his checking game, etc. But we know how big these free agency deals get and the longevity concerns for players who play the style Callahan plays. If he were willing to sign a 3-year deal, I'd have no problem with Sather offering him a lot of money. I just think he's going to get a huge offer from some other team in terms of money and role and he has every right to take it.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00