News Article: Eklund's Take on Callahan

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
Lost in all of this trade talk, I for one, will be very sad to see Callahan go. I still love the guy, even if he's an idiot on ice sometimes, and he's commanding an outrageous contract. I'll still appreciate all he's done for this organization.

I think we can all agree on this. Very few posters have actually soured on Callahan. He's just not worth to the Rangers what he's going to get in the open market.

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Let's say we sign Cally for six years at 6 million a year.

Is it not unreasonable to expect three years of productive play before we see three years of declining production?

Has not this become the norm in other sports? You know that you will not get a player performing at his peak for the entire term of the contract. You can live with that if you get solid production at the start.

The alternative is not to be players in the free agent market for players in their late twenties. That might not be a bad philosophy after having been burnt by Redden, Drury, and to some extent Richards. But if that is our operative philosophy, other teams will be at a decided advantage in regards to player acquisition.

And, we're not even talking here about contracts as investments against inflationary salary creep. The price of players will continue to go up. A large contract now will be only a moderate salary in two years.

7 million is to much. If that is what he wants, I don't sign him. I listen to offers but if I don't get one I really like, I keep him for this year's playoff run. If he walks....he walks. I want him to stay, value all his intangibles, am willing to gamble on getting three years of production from him....but for not more than six million. It is his right to test the market. Players have finite careers that can end at any time. If he signs elsewhere, I'll miss him and recall him fondly. But I hope he stays.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
On tortorella's rangers calllahan and hank were the rangers

In this system cally is prob the 7th or 8th or 9th most important player

Blow him out before the Olympics cause he'll prob get hurt over there it's been a whole 2 or 3 weeks without an injury he's due

I'm a huge cally fan but can't disagree with your last sentence. I will be hoping big time he can stay healthy during Olympics but he gets hurt so often

GregNYR19

agitator
Oct 26, 2007
Fair Lawn, NJ
twitter.com
Terrible article. Backed up with nothing but a superfluous "Callahan IS the NY Rangers". Nope. That would be Henrik Lundqvist. After that, it'd be Ryan McDonagh. And I'd argue we have 5-6 more players that are more valuable to this team than Callahan currently is.

we are in the minority here, but couldn't agree more. especially for the money he is seeking? the guy is a glass house. heart and soul guys are more replacable than everyone thinks. intangables only go so far...if you want a team thats going to win championships, build them the right way and simliar to teams like boston and chicago. cant win with 23 callahans. put personal feelings aside

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
we are in the minority here, but couldn't agree more. especially for the money he is seeking? the guy is a glass house. heart and soul guys are more replacable than everyone thinks. intangables only go so far...if you want a team thats going to win championships, build them the right way and simliar to teams like boston and chicago. cant win with 23 callahans. put personal feelings aside

He's so replaceable that the rumored return is Chris Stewart, who is a downgrade in every way imaginable, most notably in intangibles and attitude. Please name some of these players who can replace what Callahan brings and be attained without trading away huge pieces.

I don't know why you're bringing up Boston, they have plenty of player like Callahan. The Rangers have 1. Nobody is saying have 23, but the Bruins have far more than 1.

Callahan's reported demands are insane and untenable. That's what this all comes down to. Eveyrthing else is mental gymnastics to try to make this seem like a good deal when its really just the best of a bad situation. Callahan is not easily replaceable. There aren't many players who bring what he brings, let alone ones that can be had. The team needs him and more players like him. Not a whole roster, but more than 1 for sure. The contract demands are just insane. That's all it comes down to.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
When people were arguing who to make captain and later on to trade either Callahan or Dubinsky I was in the minority in Dubinsky's corner. I think he was and is the better player. And I think they played well together. I like Callahan and I hope they can keep him although not at first line money. But if they already waited too long and get nothing for him then that's a disgrace and another black mark on Sather's already solid black record.

Callahan for Dubinsky and Erixon!!!! Solves our LW/C issue for next season and build our RHD depth!! Done.

SingaporeRanger

Dec 16, 2010
Singapore
Okposo is signed at a very nice AAV for the next 2 seasons, wouldn't the Isles rather throw money at Cally in the offseason, and have both?

Sure they could, but Snow has made some trade moves in the past that looked less than stellar but panned out in the end, plus, I really would like to see Zucc with Okposo.

RGF

Apr 6, 2003
NYC
Visit site
In the event we trade Callahan, I am confident callahans intangibles and production can be replaced my a maturing miller and fast. I have no problem letting go of someone who although our captain, has not been a major contributor this year- as we've discussed, many players production or intangibles have been altered in a new system and paying significant money for a player who does not consistently put up 25+ goals is an issue.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
He's so replaceable that the rumored return is Chris Stewart, who is a downgrade in every way imaginable, most notably in intangibles and attitude. Please name some of these players who can replace what Callahan brings and be attained without trading away huge pieces.

I don't know why you're bringing up Boston, they have plenty of player like Callahan. The Rangers have 1. Nobody is saying have 23, but the Bruins have far more than 1.

Callahan's reported demands are insane and untenable. That's what this all comes down to. Eveyrthing else is mental gymnastics to try to make this seem like a good deal when its really just the best of a bad situation. Callahan is not easily replaceable. There aren't many players who bring what he brings, let alone ones that can be had. The team needs him and more players like him. Not a whole roster, but more than 1 for sure. The contract demands are just insane. That's all it comes down to.
Watched the blues play Nashville the other night and tried to focus on stewart. He was invisible and not at all engaged! WE need someone that is dynamic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad