Eklund Rumor: Eklund: Toronto and Arizona

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Maybe some of ya'll need to realize Chychrun can play RD just as well as LD and that he would be better than the 5th LD on the Leafs. You're not adding a 5th LD, you're pushing down your worst LD which is a good thing. Somehow Leafs fans manage to think this is a bad thing.

By Bill Armstrong style, do you mean "bad at hockey" or "is ok with getting paid late"?
Yeah, the guy who just helped STL win a cup only cares about guys who are bad at hockey or are okay with getting paid. You heard it here first!

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Could it have something to do with Knies in his D+1 scored 33 pts in 33 gp last season (15 goals), whereas Slaggert in his D+2 40gp at age 19 only scored 26 pts (12g) in the same league? Not to mention Knies having a 3" and 20lb gap on Slaggert?

Leaf fans hoping Knies can slide onto the 2nd line long term is not a huge hype leap above hoping your guy can be a great 3rd liner. The difference is very small. 1st line would only be because the org is very shallow on the left.

Also, if you are basing this off 2 games where Slaggert is the oldest player on the ice, I think you're making a mistake.
Knies and Slaggert were born a few months apart.
Oh, ok. The height - weight difference. That will win you something.

I was discussing “big stage” games. When the best players stand out. Where championships are won.
You seem more fixated on the regular games.
I bet handshake firmness is important as well.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If the Leafs make a move for a D, their needs are a RD version of Muzzin, but younger. Physical, strong defensively, good on the PK, good at clearing the crease. The Leafs don't really need more puck movers, or PP experts. Rielly would still be on PP #1. Chychrun has a great contract, and on a better team, probably is a very good D. The skill sets he has, really aren't what are going to put the Leafs over the edge, and the ask is obviously very high from Coyotes mgmt, or he would have been moved already. This just isn't something that makes sense for the Leafs.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Maybe some of ya'll need to realize Chychrun can play RD just as well as LD and that he would be better than the 5th LD on the Leafs. You're not adding a 5th LD, you're pushing down your worst LD which is a good thing. Somehow Leafs fans manage to think this is a bad thing.
Buddy, doubling down was not the correct choice to make.

Reactions: Metroid

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Jesus christ did you just call Chychrun a 5th D on the f***ing Leafs?

Man I thought I'd seen it all from Leafs fans shitting on ARI and yet here we are LMAO
No we would have 5 LD.

Common sense ain't so common I guess.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Leafs LD depth is currently Rielly, Muzzin, Gio and Sandin

Don’t see them moving their star winger for another LD unless it is a wildly larger deal with way more pieces on both sides

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Its not about value but need. Chychurn obviously has way more value then knies in a 1 for 1.
I’m not even discussing this particular proposal. Just the massive (Bracco level) overrating of Knies.
I think he’s good but Leaf fans (many not all) have him off the table in any proposal.
The objective is to win a cup if you’re lucky enough to have enough talent to open a window.
The Leaf window is open NOW. Knies will be a rookie in 2 years.

I write that as a 59 yr old Hawk fan. After decades of sucking they finally got the talent to have a legitimate window.
They sold everything young and good to win 3 cups in 6 years.
They suck now but FINALLY knowing the feeling of my team being Stanley Cup Champions is totally worth it.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
I’m not even discussing this particular proposal. Just the massive (Bracco level) overrating of Knies.
I think he’s good but Leaf fans (many not all) have him off the table in any proposal.
The objective is to win a cup if you’re lucky enough to have enough talent to open a window.
The Leaf window is open NOW. Knies will be a rookie in 2 years.

I write that as a 59 yr old Hawk fan. After decades of sucking they finally got the talent to have a legitimate window.
They sold everything young and good to win 3 cups in 6 years.
They suck now but FINALLY knowing the feeling of my team being Stanley Cup Champions is totally worth it.
Thats fair and I agree no prospect should be off the table unless its a makar, Matthews, McDavid type. Just don't think this is the particular deal that gets the leafs there.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Nylander, Sandin and Muzzin for Chychrun+?

Arizona has ZERO use for Nylander. So unless it's a 3 way trade (with or without AZ retaining) then Nylander brings no value. And I don't know who can give up much for Nylander in trade given the flat cap.

Muzzin also brings no value to AZ and is a pure cap dump from their perspective given he would also be extremely difficult to flip even with retention given the flat cap and his injury/durability concerns.

Any Chychrun trade is NOT a "hockey trade". Rather, it's a "futures" trade since AZ doesn't want or need established players, but prospects and/or picks.

Reactions: mouser

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
So according to this thread, a chunk of Leaf fans don't have a f***ing clue who or what Jakob Chychrun is.

And before you retort that we don't have a f***ing clue who William Nylander is, trust me when I say... We do. Because you are Toronto, and your volume of national and international media coverage means that we see him and you a metric shit ton. Nylander is a very good player. But he's not what Arizona should be looking for in a Chychrun deal if we are dealing Chychrun.

Reactions: Jakey53 and Mosby

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
You really don't know what you are talking about.
He isn't to far off. Chyxhurn isn't a top pair d currently and his numbers aren't very good. Chychirn will play better on a better team but he isn't going to magically turn into a top 15 d on his new team.

Reactions: Freedom

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
So according to this thread, a chunk of Leaf fans don't have a f***ing clue who or what Jakob Chychrun is.

And before you retort that we don't have a f***ing clue who William Nylander is, trust me when I say... We do. Because you are Toronto, and your volume of national and international media coverage means that we see him and you a metric shit ton. Nylander is a very good player. But he's not what Arizona should be looking for in a Chychrun deal if we are dealing Chychrun.
Leafs have absolutely no need for chychurn at all. The defense core they have is solid, what they may need is some consistent secondary scoring for the playoffs. Also I've seen Chychirn play quite a bit, hes a good to very good player but in no way shape or form is he elite.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
He isn't to far off. Chyxhurn isn't a top pair d currently and his numbers aren't very good. Chychirn will play better on a better team but he isn't going to magically turn into a top 15 d on his new team.
And that's part of the reason he's available - he is a good dman on a team friendly contract with control for 3 more years. This makes him a desired commodity.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

I’m not a Leaf fan but know they already have Reilly, Muzzin, Giordano and Sandin on the left. I also know that Nylander would be a huge loss.

If they could get Chychrun in there while keeping Nylander then that’s a really good add but they would have to presumably dump Muzzin to do that.

And I don’t know how they could pull that out considering Muzzin has a NTC and is coming off a season where he played 47 games.

And everyone on earth, other than the person who made this rumor up, knows that Nylander to Arizona makes no sense. “They can flip him” doesn’t really improve it because it’s back to not being good for Toronto.

Does anyone like the original basis of the proposal? It feels like a big No.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
And that's part of the reason he's available - he is a good dman on a team friendly contract with control for 3 more years. This makes him a desired commodity.
Never said it didn't, but considering he's not a top tier defender and the Leafs already have a surplus of LHD and already lack secondary scoring, this deal makes no sense.

Reactions: Freedom

Prestigeworldwide

Apr 21, 2017
Hes a solid defensiveman, young, on a good team friendly contract. Goals per 60 over the last 3 years he's second to just Cale Makar. He's already a top defenisveman in the league, on a more talented team competing for playoffs he's gonna be a stud. He's gonna bring back a nice haul.

Reactions: Jakey53

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Hes a solid defensiveman, young, on a good team friendly contract. Goals per 60 over the last 3 years he's second to just Cale Makar. He's already a top defenisveman in the league, on a more talented team competing for playoffs he's gonna be a stud. He's gonna bring back a nice haul.
Hes not a top tier defender and by top tier I mean top ten. Chychurn will get a good haul but not a massive one or he would already have been traded. I'd be fine with adding him to the Leafs but not for Nylander who we need much more.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
I just don't see the Leafs completely restructuring their defense AND trying to fill the 70ish point void at RW by the time October rolls around.

Leafs have 4LD who do not play the right side well as it is, adding a 5th just makes it more of a log jam. Meaning you're looking at moving at least 2 of Sandin/Gio/Muzzin out as well and somehow try to get better.

Just doesn't make sense.
If Chychrun come, then you can bank on Sandin and most likely Muzzin gone. Another deal for a low end top 6 forward would be obvious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad