Eklund Rumor: Eklund: Toronto and Arizona

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Jesus christ did you just call Chychrun a 5th D on the f***ing Leafs?

Man I thought I'd seen it all from Leafs fans shitting on ARI and yet here we are LMAO
No he called him a 5th LD, meaning we already have 4 players who play the LD position. Adding Chychrun would make it so we have 5LD lol

Reactions: Tufted Titmouse

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022

Man I thought I'd seen it all from Leafs fans shitting on ARI and yet here we are LMAO
giphy.gif

He's saying he would have 5 LDs on the team, which is if you only go by handedness.

I know he can play on the right side, but not sure the fit is right for either team. I am hoping we look for a Tanev type, and I am sure Arizona would like more control in any deal.

Reactions: AvroArrow

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
I don’t even understand why AZ would trade Chychrun. It makes no sense for where they’re at,

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
The only way it makes sense for Arizona and Leafs to be talking is if the Yotes are leaking it publicly to drive up the price on Chychrun for another team.

And if that was the case, you use Lebrun or Dregs. Not Eklund.

Reactions: Kaizen

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I don’t even understand why AZ would trade Chychrun. It makes no sense for where they’re at,
The issue would be that by the time the team is good his deal is done and and he could leave.

Also Chychrun has incredible value not just because of his play but because of his low cap hit. However that value is wasted on Arizona, who make trades just to reach the floor.

They might as well get the haul of futures for Chychrun. Doing so would even upgrade their draft picks by hurting the team. This is a good year to do so

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Primarily

Except he plays the right side for Arizona.
In the hypothetical scenario that we did acquire him, we'd have 5 LHD and just Lily with a right shot, that can become a huge problem. Especially on the PK, having a RHD pretty much covers the pass lane on it's own naturally. Not that you can't ice a good blue line with 5LHD, just becomes more difficult. Holding the blue line is a lot harder, I don't mind 4LHD and 2 RHD, but just having Lily alone would be concerning.

Rielly - Chychrun
Muzzin - Brodie
Giordano - Liljegren

Sandin/Holl

We have a surplus of capable left shot D-men. Any move the Leafs make will surely be for a top 6LW or a top pairing level RHD.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
In the hypothetical scenario that we did acquire him, we'd have 5 LHD and just Lily with a right shot, that can become a huge problem. Especially on the PK, having a RHD pretty much covers the pass lane on it's own naturally. Not that you can't ice a good blue line with 5LHD, just becomes more difficult. Holding the blue line is a lot harder, I don't mind 4LHD and 2 RHD, but just having Lily alone would be concerning.

Rielly - Chychrun
Muzzin - Brodie
Giordano - Liljegren

Sandin/Holl

We have a surplus of capable left shot D-men. Any move the Leafs make will surely be for a top 6LW or a top pairing level RHD.
The world isn't ideal. If Chychrun is available you make that move. He's a top4 D, top pairing even, at only around 4 million AAV

Reactions: Nowotny

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Rielly - Chychrun
Muzzin - Brodie
Giordano - Liljegren

Sandin/Holl

Ya I get that, have the same concerns if Ottawa got him. Besides the ask being too high.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Knies is being so heavily over rated by Leaf fans it’s laughable.
He is being "heavily overrated" because he:

1. Plays a position we are very shallow on
  2. Plays a style of hockey that we sorely lack
  3. Will have 6+ years of control
  4. Is almost NHL ready

Sometimes I think this forum really lacks the ability to consider context. There's a reason Leaf fans are more willing to trade Robertson, who has a more desireable skillset for a lot of teams (scores a lot of goals) than Knies. Of course Chychrun is a better players and the probability is high that Knies will never be as good.

Years on control is also a huge aspect of asset management that most of us casuals don't often value properly.

Reactions: Metroid

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
He is being "heavily overrated" because he:

1. Plays a position we are very shallow on
  2. Plays a style of hockey that we sorely lack
  3. Will have 6+ years of control
  4. Is almost NHL ready

Sometimes I think this forum really lacks the ability to consider context. There's a reason Leaf fans are more willing to trade Robertson, who has a more desireable skillset for a lot of teams (scores a lot of goals) than Knies. Of course Chychrun is a better players and the probability is high that Knies will never be as good.

Years on control is also a huge aspect of asset management that most of us casuals don't often value properly.
I just think many on these forums tend to over value their players
He’s on the WJC team so he is good.
Visit the Hawk board, 1 person pencils Slaggert into Chicago’s future top 6. Nearly everyone else sees a kick ass 3rd liner that’s a bitch to play against and could move up in the right scenario.

Now note at the same age Slaggert is playing top line minutes at the same WJC. Knies plays a line below him and just lost his spot on the PP.

Yet most Leaf fans have already penciled Knies in as a top line, high scorer, kick ass power forward in the NHL.
That’s just because he’s big.

• Haha
Reactions: Metroid

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Visit the Hawk board, 1 person pencils Slaggert into Chicago’s future top 6. Nearly everyone else sees a kick ass 3rd liner that’s a bitch to play against and could move up in the right scenario.

Now note at the same age Slaggert is playing top line minutes at the same WJC. Knies plays a line below him and just lost his spot on the PP.

Yet most Leaf fans have already penciled Knies in as a top line, high scorer, kick ass power forward in the NHL.
Most Leaf fans see him as a second line LW who might get power play minutes. People totally overrate what Leaf fans think of Knies.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022

Could it have something to do with Knies in his D+1 scored 33 pts in 33 gp last season (15 goals), whereas Slaggert in his D+2 40gp at age 19 only scored 26 pts (12g) in the same league? Not to mention Knies having a 3" and 20lb gap on Slaggert?

Leaf fans hoping Knies can slide onto the 2nd line long term is not a huge hype leap above hoping your guy can be a great 3rd liner. The difference is very small. 1st line would only be because the org is very shallow on the left.

Also, if you are basing this off 2 games where Slaggert is the oldest player on the ice, I think you're making a mistake.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005

I suppose you would think you've seen it all from Leaf fans when you struggle to comprehend what is being said.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
1) Eklund is bullshit.

2) If there were to be a trade between these 2 teams for Chychrun, it would not include Nylander, and the return would be built around Knies + Sandin.

As part of the return I just suggested, Arizona could also retain 50% on Chychrun for an additional asset(s) from TOR (bringing his cap hit down to under $2.2M for the next 3 years) and/or Arizona could take back an additional player if so desired by TOR, such as Holl, Kerfoot, etc.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Nylander is so far off from a what a typical Bill Armstrong style player and overall team composition looks like. This isn't happening.

By Bill Armstrong style, do you mean "bad at hockey" or "is ok with getting paid late"?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad