Rumor: Eklund: Hartnell to St. Louis

JayB

May 30, 2012
I would do something like Hartsy for Stewart. Really know what those values are but that is wise to do, little bit similar type players with similar caphits. Mayby Philly adds a 4th rounder or something.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
I would do something like Hartsy for Stewart. Really know what those values are but that is wise to do, little bit similar type players with similar caphits. Mayby Philly adds a 4th rounder or something.

Meh, not sure what the value would end up being for hartnell but i assume it would be remotely close to what we really need....a #1 Defensemen or Goal Scoring Winger.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
I would do a low 1st for Hartnell from a playoff team looking for grit for a cup run. I don't think that's out of the realm of possibility. Look what a guy like Clowe got. Hartnell is better than Clowe IMO. And if Paul Gaustad can retrieve a 1st at the deadline, surely Hartnell can as well.

TheDrizzle81

Nov 13, 2008
Marlton NJ
I would do a low 1st for Hartnell from a playoff team looking for grit for a cup run. I don't think that's out of the realm of possibility. Look what a guy like Clowe got. Hartnell is better than Clowe IMO. And if Paul Gaustad can retrieve a 1st at the deadline, surely Hartnell can as well.

Gaustad and clowe both also had expiring contracts. The team trading for Hartnell is stuck with the burden of his deal/ trading it for years to come. That alone drops the value.

Unless that team has a compliance buyout left this summer and can afford to pay that out. St. Louis is a tight budget team I don't see that being ok. Maybe another team

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
After a 1-7 start the Flyers have gone 14-8-4 in their last 26 games. Those first 8 games really hurt this teams chances, but they are slowly climbing out of the hole. I don't think we would be looking for futures if we keep up the current trend and somehow manage to sneak into a playoff spot before the deadline. It would have to be a win win for both teams, I just don't see it though. What are they going to give us?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Gaustad and clowe both also had expiring contracts. The team trading for Hartnell is stuck with the burden of his deal/ trading it for years to come. That alone drops the value.

Unless that team has a compliance buyout left this summer and can afford to pay that out. St. Louis is a tight budget team I don't see that being ok. Maybe another team

That is true... though his contract will look fine so long as he stays a ~40-45 point scorer in the near future for his new team with the cap going up. The length I think is more of a put off for teams than the money. Look at Clarkson and Clowes... both more money for players who are arguably not as good.

TheDrizzle81

Nov 13, 2008
Marlton NJ
That is true... though his contract will look fine so long as he stays a ~40-45 point scorer in the near future for his new team with the cap going up. The length I think is more of a put off for teams than the money. Look at Clarkson and Clowes... both more money for players who are arguably not as good.
The cap hit is fine te term isn't. I coul see a team with a compliance buyout left using him as a rental (is that even allowed?) in that case I can see a decent pick. If the team is looking at ring stuck with him I don't.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

what is the point of trading Hartnell if you are getting the same type of player back?
i dont mind Stewart but the Flyers already have enough of what he brings.
I still think they are going to have to deal one of those players at some point if they are looking to bring back Downie next season.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
The Blues are going to be the most interesting team to look at as the deadline approaches...I believe they will be front and center when it comes to Evander Kane, but I have yet to hear they are in on this at this point...however I have heard the Blues are looking to make a few set up moves that may position them to grab Kane. I have heard they have interest in Scott Hartnell (e2) and Damien Brunner (e2).

Now....we all know Eklund 9/10 is full of s&^%, but man....I never thought I would see the day with Hartnell authoring children's books and all.

He needs to go! He is the millstone around the neck of this team. He brings nothing to the table - far from a "power forward" and he is a disgrace of an assistant captain. Signed till 2020 on 1 year of good stats (when a true skill player was on the other wing, Jagr).

He doesn't mention what St. Louis would give in return, my guess would be a bag of practice pucks or a 7th round pick in the 2019 draft. At this point, I think we would be getting the better part of that deal.

Are you in second grade? Honestly asking. Do you have a concept of what players are worth? Players worse than Hartnell that are supposed to do the same job are currently being paid more than him.

MrMajestyk

Oct 12, 2013
Hartnell is a much bigger asset to our club than many on here will ever realize........He will do the dirty work MOST will not do, and he is a much better passer than most will admit,,,,,,,I cannot count how many great passes he has made that folks failed to bury right in the slot .... I like our 2nd line with Harts on it .

Great passers don't go almost 40 games without as assist while playing mostly with Claude/Jakub and on the first power play.

jabba2

Oct 28, 2010
Be careful what you wish for. Everyone talks smack on this guy but they seem to forget about all the goals he has scored here and continues to score. Is his contract a year or two longer than it should be? Probably, but that's the deal he was going to get coming off of a career year. Consistent 20-30 goal scorers do not grow on trees. Even this year Hartnell can still crack the 20 goal mark.

Who is going to replace Hartnell's production? McGinn? I like him, but I don't think he's gonna score 20-30 a year for the next couple years.

He's capable of scoring garbage goals but he isnt going to the net nearly enough for the salary he makes. I think McGinn could do exactly what Hartnell is doing right now.

martin27

Jul 14, 2007
Supposedly we had interest in Paajarvi in the summer when he was at Edmonton. Maybe involves him.

DrHamburg

Mar 12, 2009
New York
I am not sure why St. Louis would want him. They are rolling and don't really have a spot for him. Looking at the roster not sure what it would take or what they would give up? Paajarvi and Sobotka/Leopold/Polak for Hartnell maybe?

yeah sounds like he made this one up

CTU2fan

Jul 12, 2009
At this point Hartnell's value is probably as low as it's going to get. I'd much rather stick with him and see how the next couple of months play out. Remember in 2011-12 he was stinking it up early in the year but he got hot and ended up with 35+. Trading him now accomplishes nothing, unless some GM is in love with him and makes you a good offer. Also gives you time to see if you'd prefer some kind of futures/picks or an actual roster player in return.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
The reality IMO of the Flyers is that they are not serious cup contenders this year and barring something crazy probably won't be next year either. So Hartnell will be 33 turning 34 when the flyers could conceivable make a legitimate cup run. He is a very good supporting role player right now but I don't see a reason to keep him when his production could be very little by time the team is ready to seriously compete again.

If the Flyers could get a very good prospect plus a little something else, especially on d, it would be well worth it IMO.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Well you have to think that maybe Ian Cole would be discussed. I dont really like him all that much but he would be a piece probably

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
The reality IMO of the Flyers is that they are not serious cup contenders this year and barring something crazy probably won't be next year either. So Hartnell will be 33 turning 34 when the flyers could conceivable make a legitimate cup run. He is a very good supporting role player right now but I don't see a reason to keep him when his production could be very little by time the team is ready to seriously compete again.

If the Flyers could get a very good prospect plus a little something else, especially on d, it would be well worth it IMO.

This ^

I think Hartnell's productivity has peaked and now is in a downward slope. All these intangibles (unique skillset) that he has IMO are marginal anymore. I'd rather move him before he is relegated to the ceremonial "locker room" glue guy title and Flyers community leader similar to Cote and Shelley....and Hal Gill

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Well you have to think that maybe Ian Cole would be discussed. I dont really like him all that much but he would be a piece probably

I agree with you. Not a fan of Cole either but it makes some senses. Would rather get Vannelli or Schmaltz. Both are a couple of years away but would give the flyers a high end right handed PMD in the system.

StevensCakeBakerBacker

Nov 11, 2009

I agree with you on Hartnell, but I really don't think the Flyers are for off from being contenders. A couple of pieces and a full offseason with the new coach could do a lot of good.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I agree with you on Hartnell, but I really don't think the Flyers are for off from being contenders. A couple of pieces and a full offseason with the new coach could do a lot of good.

I think the Flyers need to significantly change their blue line, as many as 3 new players, to a more mobile puck-moving group. Even if they got those players this offseason, that sorte of shakeup takes awhile to come together. I hope your right but I watch teams like Chicago, St Louis, and the Kings and the flyers look nowhere near close.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad