Rumor: Eklund: Hartnell to St. Louis

Sec201

Aug 18, 2007
Philadelphia
The Blues are going to be the most interesting team to look at as the deadline approaches...I believe they will be front and center when it comes to Evander Kane, but I have yet to hear they are in on this at this point...however I have heard the Blues are looking to make a few set up moves that may position them to grab Kane. I have heard they have interest in Scott Hartnell (e2) and Damien Brunner (e2).

Now....we all know Eklund 9/10 is full of s&^%, but man....I never thought I would see the day with Hartnell authoring children's books and all.

He needs to go! He is the millstone around the neck of this team. He brings nothing to the table - far from a "power forward" and he is a disgrace of an assistant captain. Signed till 2020 on 1 year of good stats (when a true skill player was on the other wing, Jagr).

He doesn't mention what St. Louis would give in return, my guess would be a bag of practice pucks or a 7th round pick in the 2019 draft. At this point, I think we would be getting the better part of that deal.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I actually think Hartnell holds more value than most around here. Our offense as a whole has been horrible, and Hartnell is still a capable 2nd liner who loves to hit and get in front of the net. He will give you 20 goals for the next two/three years probably, and by then his contract won't even matter because of the cap hitting 6 billion dollars. I am not saying he will get an amazing deal, but at the deadline I bet a team would over pay for him.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I actually think Hartnell holds more value than most around here. Our offense as a whole has been horrible, and Hartnell is still a capable 2nd liner who loves to hit and get in front of the net. He will give you 20 goals for the next two/three years probably, and by then his contract won't even matter because of the cap hitting 6 billion dollars. I am not saying he will get an amazing deal, but at the deadline I bet a team would over pay for him.

Yeh, competing teams go bat**** crazy at the deadline at times... best to wait and ask for more that players are worth when they are 'desperate.' 4-5 30 something D get 2nd round picks, as do 3/4th liners.

I am also fed up of the Hartnell '1 good year'... he was one of the most consistent wingers in the league for 11 seasons... only 1 sub 40 in that time... and averaged 49 points a year in those 11. He averaged 47 a year from 01-02 to 10-11 if you take out 11-12! Ofc, he does not seem to be that player anymore... but someone would take a bet on him getting back for a year or two, it has happened before with guys who have had down years.

There are around 70 wingers a year in the NHL who get 45+ points and ~90 who pace for it. His figures show he was a 2lw at worst for 10 years... you get 50 points a year from the wing and you are almost guaranteed to be top 50 in the league at your position. He averaged 49 for 11 seasons and 47 for 10 if 11-12 does not count.

11-12: 56 50 point wingers
10-11: 50 50 point wingers
09-10: 50 50 point wingers
08-09: 56 50 point wingers

Last edited:

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Hartnell does a lot for the community. He's a great guy. He is rightfully adored by most Philadelphia fans.

However, as much as Philadelphia fans adore Hartnell, they also loved Briere.

At some point though, you need to approach this with some forethought. In a purely business-related move, you HAVE to be thinking about moving Hartnell at this point.

You keep Downie on the 3rd line. You promote Schenn or Simmonds, and you use Raffl, McGinn, or Laughton to plug that hole.

Then you take Hartnell's money and go after defense, whether it's a stopgap like hammering out another 1-year with Timonen or it's a younger guy (probably going to be Phanuef ---ugh).

Either way. Time to seriously think about moving Hartnell.

Montreal for Beaulieu?

kjbhockey

May 12, 2013
I think we need to do what the Sharks did last year. The unloaded guys that no longer fit their uptempo system. They got rid of Clowe and Murray and got quicker a lot quicker on the attack. Maybe that was easy for them bc they had guys waiting in the wings. We need to unload Grossman, Hartnell, Kimmo and move forward. At the deadline those guys will fetch decent returns.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Please, god, for once let Eklund be right. I want to jab my eyes out every shift Hartnell takes. No more cross-ice passes that have a 1% chance of working and constantly lead to the puck heading in the other direction. Please.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Please, god, for once let Eklund be right. I want to jab my eyes out every shift Hartnell takes. No more cross-ice passes that have a 1% chance of working and constantly lead to the puck heading in the other direction. Please.

Its sad but true. it seems like EVERY time he has possession its a screw up.

Id love to get rid of him so anything at air above future considerations is good with me. That said I could see someone trading a likely late first for him at the deadline.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
It's Eklund and an e2 at that (whatever that means in Eklund language). I'll just leave that at that.

Yeh, competing teams go bat**** crazy at the deadline at times... best to wait and ask for more that players are worth when they are 'desperate.' 4-5 30 something D get 2nd round picks, as do 3/4th liners.

I am also fed up of the Hartnell '1 good year'... he was one of the most consistent wingers in the league for 11 seasons... only 1 sub 40 in that time... and averaged 49 points a year in those 11. He averaged 47 a year from 01-02 to 10-11 if you take out 11-12! Ofc, he does not seem to be that player anymore... but someone would take a bet on him getting back for a year or two, it has happened before with guys who have had down years.

There are around 70 wingers a year in the NHL who get 45+ points and ~90 who pace for it. His figures show he was a 2lw at worst for 10 years... you get 50 points a year from the wing and you are almost guaranteed to be top 50 in the league at your position. He averaged 49 for 11 seasons and 47 for 10 if 11-12 does not count.

11-12: 56 50 point wingers
10-11: 50 50 point wingers
09-10: 50 50 point wingers
08-09: 56 50 point wingers

He was a productive winger offensively for a long while, but the thing about Hartnell is that even during those times he was a very limited player in what he could do. Never a great skater, always falling on his ass (to the point where they even made a charity effort out of it), a league leader in minor penalties a lot of seasons (which is bad), never could play a PK, never had an overly impressive offensive season aside from maybe one, and overall his game was just limited to banging in goals around the opposing net. Of course he could do more then that at times and that wasn't literally the only thing he could do, but that's what his use was limited to most of the time. Rebounds, finishing quality rushes, deflections, screening.

When he isn't doing that as much as we would like him to it ends up looking like it does now or any other time when his game has fallen off a cliff (which has happened before).

YoussefianK

Sep 18, 2013
Hartnell does a lot for the community. He's a great guy. He is rightfully adored by most Philadelphia fans.

However, as much as Philadelphia fans adore Hartnell, they also loved Briere.

At some point though, you need to approach this with some forethought. In a purely business-related move, you HAVE to be thinking about moving Hartnell at this point.

You keep Downie on the 3rd line. You promote Schenn or Simmonds, and you use Raffl, McGinn, or Laughton to plug that hole.

Then you take Hartnell's money and go after defense, whether it's a stopgap like hammering out another 1-year with Timonen or it's a younger guy (probably going to be Phanuef ---ugh).

Either way. Time to seriously think about moving Hartnell.

Montreal for Beaulieu?

As a Habs fan, I don't want it to become a Gomez 2.0 situation.
Honestly, for the Habs to consider taking on Hartnell, you need to add a pick/prospect or take up Desharnais' contract.

Honestly, I do not know how Montreal would trade for Hartnell.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
As a Habs fan, I don't want it to become a Gomez 2.0 situation.
Honestly, for the Habs to consider taking on Hartnell, you need to add a pick/prospect or take up Desharnais' contract.

Honestly, I do not know how Montreal would trade for Hartnell.

:dunno:

Was just throwing MTL out there because the fanbase has, in the past, often thrown out interest in acquiring Hartnell...even if those offers were generally low-ball, bordering on absurdist, offers thrown out by Flyers fans immediately.

I think it also might have something to do with team construction and the lack of a true powerforward in prior years. That doesn't mean MTL still has that hole to fill, but it makes for an interesting case going forward.

I used to know a lot more about MTL team make up, but I'm since out of the loop.

Really though, Hartnell is useless here. He could definitely be useful elsewhere, but this is no longer the right team for him.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada

^^^this^^^^

i dont care were he goes as long as its off the Flyers...

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
The objection to this, not that I'm making it, is that the Flyers lack depth at wing.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Wait Hartnell might start scoring from that one spot on the ice...can't trade the Flyers ambassador and community leader...

FlyingPhilly

Mar 3, 2013
Philly
If there was ever an Eklund rumor I want to be correct, it would be this one. However, no dumb add-ons or stupid contracts should come back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad