Rumor: Eklund: Hartnell to St. Louis

jabba2

Oct 28, 2010
Hartnell was a good player two years ago, its just he no longer is one. maybe it will come back. I dont know. But the Flyers should seriously be looking to trade him before other teams take notice how bad he is. He literally falls down every shift.

SgtJoseph*

Hartnell is a much bigger asset to our club than many on here will ever realize........He will do the dirty work MOST will not do, and he is a much better passer than most will admit,,,,,,,I cannot count how many great passes he has made that folks failed to bury right in the slot .... I like our 2nd line with Harts on it .

Last edited by a moderator:

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
St. Louis does have some appealing prospects in Jaskins and Rattie and especially on d with two right handed dmen in Vanelli and Schmaltz.

Dec 2, 2010
:dunno:

Was just throwing MTL out there because the fanbase has, in the past, often thrown out interest in acquiring Hartnell...even if those offers were generally low-ball, bordering on absurdist, offers thrown out by Flyers fans immediately.

I think it also might have something to do with team construction and the lack of a true powerforward in prior years. That doesn't mean MTL still has that hole to fill, but it makes for an interesting case going forward.

I used to know a lot more about MTL team make up, but I'm since out of the loop.

Really though, Hartnell is useless here. He could definitely be useful elsewhere, but this is no longer the right team for him.
Retain 2 mil, take on Desharnais and I'll ship ya your boy Beaulieu.

jabba2

Oct 28, 2010
Hartnell is a much bigger asset to our club than many on here will ever realize........He will do the dirty work MOST will not do, and he is a much better passer than most will admit,,,,,,,I cannot count how many great passes he has made that folks failed to bury right in the slot .... I like our 2nd line with Harts on it .

If this were true I dont think Hartnell would have been moved from Giroux's line.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
He still has some value, we are going into the offseason with the draft and salary cap increasing to 70+ million, it makes sense.

Like the guy and all but he makes dumb decisions that cost the team far to often.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Like Hartnell too but his is redundant with Simmonds on the team. It would be worth it to use his salary cap space on a different type of player.

tytech

Jan 4, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Am loving the Hartnell, Schenn and Simmonds line. Great 2nd game against the Caps.
Hopefully Schenn returns soon.
I'd like to hold off on a trade and see how this line does. Besides, Harts will have most value near the trade deadline when other teams get desperate.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
Like Hartnell too but his is redundant with Simmonds on the team. It would be worth it to use his salary cap space on a different type of player.

Yeah, god forbid you have two power forwards.

I am not opposed to trading Hartnell but people are ridiculous to say he has no value. Look at what Clowe got, look at the contracts Clarkson and Clowe got and neither produced close to Hartnell year in and year out. Teams work the phones for PFs at the trade deadline, especially guys that that can produce in the top 6 and on the PP. Plus, the guy has been a beast in the playoffs. Jeez, guys like Antropov had a market.

Hartnell's 37 goal season was an abberation but he has been a lock for 20-25 goals a season to go along with the sand paper and agitating. People act like he never scored a goal until he played with Jagr. He has scored 20+ with all types of centers. A playmaker like Giroux, a shooter like Carter & Briere, a two guy like Richards.

The Flyers are a small team up front as is so if they are trading Hartnell they better add speed&skill to beat teams because they will get ground down in a long series (assuming they make the palyoffs).

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Yeah, god forbid you have two power forwards.

I am not opposed to trading Hartnell but people are ridiculous to say he has no value. Look at what Clowe got, look at the contracts Clarkson and Clowe got and neither produced close to Hartnell year in and year out. Teams work the phones for PFs at the trade deadline, especially guys that that can produce in the top 6 and on the PP. Plus, the guy has been a beast in the playoffs. Jeez, guys like Antropov had a market.

Hartnell's 37 goal season was an abberation but he has been a lock for 20-25 goals a season to go along with the sand paper and agitating. People act like he never scored a goal until he played with Jagr. He has scored 20+ with all types of centers. A playmaker like Giroux, a shooter like Carter & Briere, a two guy like Richards.

The Flyers are a small team up front as is so if they are trading Hartnell they better add speed&skill to beat teams because they will get ground down in a long series (assuming they make the palyoffs).

Couldn't have said it better myself. Getzlaf is redundant because the Ducks have Perry, right?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Be careful what you wish for. Everyone talks smack on this guy but they seem to forget about all the goals he has scored here and continues to score. Is his contract a year or two longer than it should be? Probably, but that's the deal he was going to get coming off of a career year. Consistent 20-30 goal scorers do not grow on trees. Even this year Hartnell can still crack the 20 goal mark.

Who is going to replace Hartnell's production? McGinn? I like him, but I don't think he's gonna score 20-30 a year for the next couple years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad