Rumor: Eklund: Habs Have Talks with Edmonton Regarding Eberle

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Why is everyone gung ho to trade away our D?

FYI, our D isn't that great to begin with, We are led by a wild card in PK, an aging vet in Markov. Otherwise We have no one that is currently a top 4 type d-man. We should have 3 like that in order to keep up with the best teams in the league. Our future on D is with PK, Tinordi, Bealeau and Emelin. If we dont have them in the next 2 or 3 years we are screwed on D. Have fun trying to get one Via trade.
Exactly. While I don't expect our guys to commit a domestic violence crime, the Kings are likely glad they still have Muzzin and Martinez as depth because Voynov cannot play for them. It is really hard to build a Cup-caliber defense in which the 3rd pair is passable and not god-awful. Throwing away two very promising prospects for more offense is throwing away future performance for a little more offense now.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Hfboards logic:

1. "Eller sucks, has tunnel vision, is an offensive black hole, and will never be more than a 3rd line centre."
2. "Edmonton needs a second line centre, they have no one after RNH."
3. "Trade Eller with a D, because Edmonton also needs D, for the Oilers best RW."

Last edited:

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
Hfboards logic:

1. "Eller sucks, has tunnel vision and will never be more than a 3rd line centre."
3. "Trade Eller with a D, because Edmonton also needs D, for the Oilers best RW."

Seems fair.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Why is everyone gung ho to trade away our D?

FYI, our D isn't that great to begin with, We are led by a wild card in PK, an aging vet in Markov. Otherwise We have no one that is currently a top 4 type d-man. We should have 3 like that in order to keep up with the best teams in the league. Our future on D is with PK, Tinordi, Bealeau and Emelin. If we dont have them in the next 2 or 3 years we are screwed on D. Have fun trying to get one Via trade.

I agree with you. The problem is that we have to lose a top player to get one. No magic combination of leftovers and prospects will land us a top-six forward like Eberle. We'll have to trade someone we really like to get a young, talented guy like this. It'll hurt. The question is where it'll hurt less. I love Beaulieu, but no way would Edmonton accept trading established production for raw potential. It would probably be some combination of Emelin, Pateryn, maybe Eller and Moen.

That said, I'm not losing sleep over this rumour. When was the last time Bergevin telegraphed a deal ahead of time? Answer: Never. He's become the master of the stealth-trade - no one sees it coming until it explodes on the front page.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Hfboards logic:

1. "Eller sucks, has tunnel vision and will never be more than a 3rd line centre."

Then when Eller starts potting feeds from Perron or makes sweet feeds to Yakupov, folks cry over the loss of Eller. ;)

Last edited:

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I don't think EDM will trade their first RW without getting exactly what they need (#1 goalie, Top D, Top 6 forward with a great 2-way games) and MTL don't have the pieces right now.

I don't think MTL concentrate on the RW right now considering that they already got Gallagher, Parenteau, Sekac, Weise, Thomas and Andrighetto.

If there's talks, i think Perron is the most likely to be move since Draisaitl might need a slow start on the left side like Galchenyuk did and they already got Pouliot, Hall and Perron on the left....and if the plan is to get Galchenyuk at center, they will need a LW

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Seems fair.

When speculating on a trade you must look at where the piece fits and the subsequent ramifications on the rest of the lineup. Could we use an Eberle? For sure but not for a center or any of our top 4 wingers.
Eberle replaces PAP or Gallagher, keep in mind the replaced player defaults to 3rd line duty.
If Eller is part of the deal who is our new center? AG? not on on 3. DD? not on 3. DLR? I can't see Sekac/DLR/PAP or Gallagher...

Put your thinking caps back on there is no corner of Dudley's or Bergevin's mind that nurtures this trade, with anything other than Bork...Moen...Prospect...Pick.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Eberle's been the scapegoat of Oilers' fans lately. They feel Yakupov is getting a bum rap from coaching while Eberle is getting a free pass despite lapses in his game...

I've seen couple of oilers game since last year and they are mostly right. Outside of Hall pretty much everyone is "awful". Problem of Oilers is not the players it's the guys running the team. They need a complete overhaul from the president to the coaching staff like Montréal did.

This said Eberle salary is only 6 millions and for many years. 6 millions used to be a lot. But it's not really anymore. And 3 years from now when Eberle will enter his prime it will be close to an average salary.

But if people expect to get a franchise player with Eberle he has not been this type of player in the last 2 years.

Chacal667

Jul 14, 2012
Montreal
Do we have the space for a 6m player ?

He's not a big player, I think Gallagher is more physical.

And the Oilers will not give him for cheap. I don't see who we can trade for him.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
They'd want Beaulieu + to start with. I could see them asking for something like Beaulieu + Gallagher + a pick... No thanks.

DD + Fucale + a first? Sure. But that's not going to do it. And Eberle's just not good enough to gut the team for. Taylor Hall? That's a different story.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
They'd want Beaulieu + to start with. I could see them asking for something like Beaulieu + Gallagher + a pick... No thanks.

DD + Fucale + a first? Sure. But that's not going to do it. And Eberle's just not good enough to gut the team for. Taylor Hall? That's a different story.

Not even Hall at this point in our quest. We would have to empty the cupboard.
For now we need a good solid RW that can play with DD and Patch.
We need Gallagher back on the 3rd line where he belongs and Sekac on LW where he belongs.
We need our D to continue progressing it is currently a very fluid situation.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

I would not touch Gallagher + something for Eberle. Galchenyuk will become better than Eberle. Plekanec is a solid 2nd line center better defensively. Surely De La Rose or Eller will be a good 3rd line centre. All DGs in the league want Gallagher. It's a top pest. He's only 22 and he is good in the playoffs.

What we need in upcoming years is big physical 30 goals wingers (like all team). Guys like Lucic and Iginla. Eberle can score but he is not big nor physical. We also need a good top 2 d man able to get the puck out something Gorges could not do (and someone to eventually replace Markov). let's hope Tinordi will become one so i do not touch Tinordi either.

If we can get Eberle for Beaulieu + Nygren + draft picks or something and if we can pay him for the next 5 years than yeah. But if we have to pay the high price then personally i'm not really interested in this guy. I did not like what i've seen of him in the last 2 years enough for that.

Last edited:

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
When speculating on a trade you must look at where the piece fits and the subsequent ramifications on the rest of the lineup. Could we use an Eberle? For sure but not for a center or any of our top 4 wingers.
Eberle replaces PAP or Gallagher, keep in mind the replaced player defaults to 3rd line duty.
If Eller is part of the deal who is our new center? AG? not on on 3. DD? not on 3. DLR? I can't see Sekac/DLR/PAP or Gallagher...

Put your thinking caps back on there is no corner of Dudley's or Bergevin's mind that nurtures this trade, with anything other than Bork...Moen...Prospect...Pick.

I forgot to put a :sarcasm:

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
It would have to include Pleks, Tinordi and NB... but it doesn't help us defensively.. E5

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
I still feel we need another top 6 forward desperately. We have a couple no shows up front we been expecting better things from, specifically Eller. He was drafted with the thought of contributing some offensive punch, but he's turning into a grinder role and time is ticking with this guy. How may grinders do you need ?.

Patch's isn't the type of player you can count on game to game. He will disappear in stretches. If MB is truly looking to add someone like Eberle, its a smart move and doing the right thing.

I am happy with the Habs fast start. At the same time you can only play from behind so many times before it catches up with you, and squeaking out wins. I just don't feel we have enough offensive power as of yet. Another solid D-man down the road isn't a bad idea either.

This exactly. We need one more scoring forward as that was our downfall in the playoffs. Vanek disappeared.

To get good you have to give good. Beaulieu would immediately play in Edmonton. So would Eller or Bournival.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Do we have the space for a 6m player ?

He's not a big player, I think Gallagher is more physical.

And the Oilers will not give him for cheap. I don't see who we can trade for him.

Get rid of Bourque. There's your wasted pile of cash.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
That's your opinion and I respect it. DD is here to stay, at least until next season. I'm sorry if you don't like it. That post made you sound like the typical DD hater.
Because I think he wants to upgrade the go-to offensive center?? Because I think DD might be moved? Because I said Galch centered MaxPac at camp?
I don't really understand you here..
Ya, he might finish off his contract here too. Not sure where there is any hate..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad