Value of: Ekholm

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
How about a good ol fashion 3 way....

To EDM: Ekholm

To TB: Larsson

To NSH: Killorn, EDM 2021 1st, EDM 2022 2nd

I guess it depends on the perception Nashville fans would have of Killorn, but I think he’s a quality 2nd liner. The way I see it is this:

Oilers do it to upgrade their D. Current prospect pool is pretty good and we can afford to cough up a 1st and 2nd. Ekholm is the perfect guy to pair with Bouchard.

Tampa does it because they could use an upgrade at RD and Larson’s deal expires at the end of the year (vs Killorn having 2 more years after this). They have a lot of cap gymnastics to perform next year to get Kucherov back in, this is one step in the right direction.

Nashville does it because they gain a 1st and 2nd, but still get a quality middle 6er they can flip down the road IF they are doing a re-tool (or he clicks and is a part of the re-tool).

I don't get why Tampa is in this deal at all.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I don't get why Tampa is in this deal at all.

I thought Killorn would be more appealing to the Preds than Larsson. It’s more about shuffling salary. But if the Preds would prefer Larsson and just flip him (should be worth a late 2nd if 50% retained), then I’m all for that as well.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Preds can have Subban back for Ekholm ... I’m kidding but I can dream for it to happen .
What would the preds want from the Devils ? I’m not sure what the preds needs are.
Devils have the cap space to take the entire salary . Adding Ekholm to Severson Smith Murray Subban Kulikov would give the devils an actual very respectable D core (for the first time in about a decade).
Devils have tons of forward prospects that they could offer. Boqvist plus a pick ?

Last edited:

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
If Bergevin has a brain in that bearded head of his, he'll offer a price high enough to get Poile's fancy tickled and get it done without gifting away too much...Hell, nabbing Granlund along with Ehkolm would be even finer...if it costs this year's first and a pair of 2nd's, which Montreal has 3 of this year, it's worth it, as long as the Habs send cap back the other way (Byron/Kulak/Chairot/Mete/whatever)...

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
If Bergevin has a brain in that bearded head of his, he'll offer a price high enough to get Poile's fancy tickled and get it done without gifting away too much...Hell, nabbing Granlund along with Ehkolm would be even finer...if it costs this year's first and a pair of 2nd's, which Montreal has 3 of this year, it's worth it, as long as the Habs send cap back the other way (Byron/Kulak/Chairot/Mete/whatever)...
Montreal has two seconds this year

3 of everything else after it seems

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Abvs already too loaded on the left side. Toews, Girard and Byram. Graves playing better now too.
Ekholm for Timmins + Graves + 1st

Toews --- Makar
Byram --- Girard
Ekholm -- Johnson

Johnson would have to waive his NMC in the expansion draft and Avs could do a handshake deal with Landeskog and go 4+4 (Mackinnon, Rantanen, Kadri, Burakovsky; Makar, Girard, Toews, Ekholm). Avs could add another pick for some retention too.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro

Toews --- Makar
Byram --- Girard
Ekholm -- Johnson

Johnson would have to waive his NMC in the expansion draft and Avs could do a handshake deal with Landeskog and go 4+4 (Mackinnon, Rantanen, Kadri, Burakovsky; Makar, Girard, Toews, Ekholm). Avs could add another pick for some retention too.
I would actually put ekholm with makar. Makar is a offensive weapon and having ekholm anchor that pair with his defense would make makar that much better. Ekholm has top pair ability and would be great with makar. I don’t know if the avs would give up that though to get him

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I would actually put ekholm with makar. Makar is a offensive weapon and having ekholm anchor that pair with his defense would make makar that much better. Ekholm has top pair ability and would be great with makar. I don’t know if the avs would give up that though to get him
You're not wrong, but one could make the argument that any of Toews/Ekholm/Byram/Girard have top pair ability to be Makar's partner. Avs are really blessed with this young D group.

My proposal was kinda tongue-in-cheek, as it's not even remotely realistic. Avs can probably afford it, but there are other teams out there who need a top pair LHD who would push the price up insanely high. Avs also have far bigger needs (eg. 3C) than adding a player in the position that is the teams biggest strength.

I don't think a handshake deal with Landeskog is particularly realistic either, so Avs would massively mess up their expansion draft plan by adding another top 4 Dman.

It's fun to play with the idea though :D

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

Zahra Starker

Mar 3, 2020
Toronto

Toews --- Makar
Byram --- Girard
Ekholm -- Johnson

Jesus dude. At least leave some crums for the rest of the league.

Reactions: Richard88

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Toews --- Makar
Byram --- Girard
Ekholm -- Johnson

Yeah as you said elsewhere, handshake deals may or may not be realistic. Funny things happen to peoples heads when the reality of free agency is a few weeks away. Especially with agents whispering “just go see what’s out there, what could the harm be”.

Reactions: Richard88

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Chiarot, 2021 1st un protected, prospect, adding something to make the cap work if needed

for

Ekholm

That would be the frame of the trade
We need to upgrade on either Chiarot or Mete/Kulak asap

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Chiarot, 2021 1st un protected, prospect, adding something to make the cap work if needed

for

Ekholm

That would be the frame of the trade
We need to upgrade on either Chiarot or Mete/Kulak asap
i agree with that but Chiarot+1st isnt enough. to be fair i dont know what prospect you mean.

he is realistically a 2/3D on a very good contract this year and next.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
i agree with that but Chiarot+1st isnt enough. to be fair i dont know what prospect you mean.

he is realistically a 2/3D on a very good contract this year and next.

Willing to see which one they want. Obviously Suzuki, Kotkaniemi and Romanov are not on the table in that deal but would be willing to listen for everyone else.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Willing to see which one they want. Obviously Suzuki, Kotkaniemi and Romanov are not on the table in that deal but would be willing to listen for everyone else.
hard to gauge. a 1st and someone like Guhle might be a little much idk.

i think the Muzzin deal is a good comp. a 1st and 2 good but not great prospects

Reactions: Bouboumaster

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Would do it if it means upgrading to Ekholm
I support this notion 100 % . In the event Ekholm does not work out or resign we can always recover a first and prospect next year at the deadline in a deeper draft . If he fits like a glove and resigns he’ll make the left side better for 4-5 years. We wouldn’t have to use guhle though

alexmanu

Jan 1, 2011
United Kingdom
You are trading for a top 2/3 defenseman with an additional year on his contract. Deals start at a 1st round pick + good forward prospect.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
you want ekholm and granlund for a 1st, 2 2nds and a dump? dont think that would get you Ekholm

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
If a team is desperate for a very good defenseman, they will pay a "Muzzin like" price.

People are forgetting or ignoring the Leafs situation when they traded for Muzzin. They were desperate and they overpaid.

Poster wet dreams aside, Bbinz highly values his prospects and picks. He wont part with them unless he wins the trade. Or at least breaks even. Plus we are far from any need to add to a pretty good defense. Lastly, Ekholm doesn't move us into a different catagory, just makes us a bit better. Preffer to pay for an impact forward...like Getzlaf.

Good luck with that "Muzzin like" return.
Seems like you took an over-encompassing Ekholm thread and decided to make it a reasons why Ekholm won't get a high return from Montreal thread. No response would have been an option here.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Too late - @HabsAddict and @Mersss have already clearly stated Ekholm is not of interest unless he's traded for pennies on the dollar.

Ekhlm is a solid 3-4D, he's worth what Muzzin got, so a late 1st and 2 B / declining prospects. When NSH fans start to realize that, with the ED coming, not EVERY team is keen on losing one of their other D too, they'llsee that the # of teams that could be interested in Ekholm isn't as broad as they think.

He'd get a 1st and 2 declining prospect, NO WAY IN HELL is wort a 1st + Guhle / Caufield / Brooks / Norlinder / Ylonen / Harris. He just isn't. 1st + Ikonen + Hillis fine, 1st + Teasdale + Ikonen ? fine. 1st + Fairbrother + Ikonen? Great, any combination of B / B- prospects is fine. But you guys are looking for more than what Muzzin got and it ain't going to happen. We'll jut sign him as a UFA when he decides to leave the fire dumpster of a team the Preds are right now.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Ekhlm is a solid 3-4D, he's worth what Muzzin got, so a late 1st and 2 B / declining prospects. When NSH fans start to realize that, with the ED coming, not EVERY team is keen on losing one of their other D too, they'llsee that the # of teams that could be interested in Ekholm isn't as broad as they think.

He'd get a 1st and 2 declining prospect, NO WAY IN HELL is wort a 1st + Guhle / Caufield / Brooks / Norlinder / Ylonen / Harris. He just isn't. 1st + Ikonen + Hillis fine, 1st + Teasdale + Ikonen ? fine. 1st + Fairbrother + Ikonen? Great, any combination of B / B- prospects is fine. But you guys are looking for more than what Muzzin got and it ain't going to happen. We'll jut sign him as a UFA when he decides to leave the fire dumpster of a team the Preds are right now.
good luck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad