Value of: Ekholm

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
He literally had over 40 points 2 seasons ago and he would have gotten 40 points if he played a full season last year.

If...If...If... He's done it once, that's it, he is not a 40+pt dman, he's a 30-35. Stop selling him as a 40-50pts dman

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
:rolleyes:

So he's not a 40 point defenseman despite hitting 40 points? Please stop trying to undermine our players so you can convince us to trade him to Montreal for randoms.

He's done it ONCE, 2 years ago, over a 8 year career in the NHL, so no, he isb'r a 40pts dman,

You guys are the ones hoping to get more than what Muzzin got, and it ain't happening

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
splitting hairs he is a 35-45 point D man IMO.

He provides alot more than points.

Exactly. His offense is a bonus, and aside from this wonky year, his defense is probably as good as anyone Nashville has... and perhaps Montreal for that matter

Imo he's absolutely a top pairing dman, though definitely not a "true blue" #1. Pretty clear upgrade over Chiarot/Edmundson, but whatever. Not convinced the Habs should pay a premium for him myself (though for other reasons, I feel Nashville fans are being fairly reasonable on value here)

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Anyone looking at Ekholm and saying " but but points " doesn't know a thing about Ekholm or his role here over his career.

Ekholm has always been asked to be the babysitter essentially, the guy asked to cover for whomever his partner may be. Whether it was Ellis, Josi, Subban, Fabbro or a whole host of other fill in the blanks he has been the guy you plug anyone in with. The guy has spent his entire career covering for other people and still manages to get those points.

The guy has an offensive side to him, he has just rarely been able to use it because he is the cover guy. Lavi also used that pairing as his shut down pairing.

Someone brought up Malkin and his situation in Pittsburgh and it's a pretty solid comparison situationally. Ellis isn't playing with Josi because he is a first pairing Dman, Ellis is there because Ekholm can anchor a 2nd pairing and essentially create a 1a-b situation.

Ekholm is underrated by so many out there because of the role he has been asked to play.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Anyone looking at Ekholm and saying " but but points " doesn't know a thing about Ekholm or his role here over his career.

Ekholm has always been asked to be the babysitter essentially, the guy asked to cover for whomever his partner may be. Whether it was Ellis, Josi, Subban, Fabbro or a whole host of other fill in the blanks he has been the guy you plug anyone in with. The guy has spent his entire career covering for other people and still manages to get those points.

The guy has an offensive side to him, he has just rarely been able to use it because he is the cover guy. Lavi also used that pairing as his shut down pairing.

Someone brought up Malkin and his situation in Pittsburgh and it's a pretty solid comparison situationally. Ellis isn't playing with Josi because he is a first pairing Dman, Ellis is there because Ekholm can anchor a 2nd pairing and essentially create a 1a-b situation.

Ekholm is underrated by so many out there because of the role he has been asked to play.
Good post. This feels like 90% of the threads out there - don't watch any of a teams games, in some cases I wonder if they even watch hockey - and then criticize other teams players based on no actual knowledge. It's bothersome for those of us that do watch hockey but its also a microcosm of the internet troll generation we live in.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I don't want Eks traded. 6'4" defensemen that are defensive defensemen that can skate don't grow on trees, in fact their kinda rare. I'd rather us fix the coaching first, and then see what happens.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
If...If...If... He's done it once, that's it, he is not a 40+pt dman, he's a 30-35. Stop selling him as a 40-50pts dman
He is a 40 pt d-man . Not sure how you can argue this . He’s done it two years ago and would easily have done it last year to . He’s quality because defensively he is excellent. Where our petry would have a slight edge offensively on him , Ekholm would have the same slight edge defensively on petry . He’s quality period .

Last edited:

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
The d-men available on the market look like garbage so Ekholm's value will go through the roof. Only question is if teams that all ready have 3 d-men to keep in ED will go after.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
The d-men available on the market look like garbage so Ekholm's value will go through the roof. Only question is if teams that all ready have 3 d-men to keep in ED will go after.
In montreals case I would go for it . It would mean exposing chariot or edmundson but there’s a good chance will lose Allen before those two anyway . If we’re to lose one of those d it would be a bit of a win actually because then we can keep Allen and enjoy 3.5 in cap space .
Ekholm steps in to play with Weber and for a change we have a guy who would be supporting Weber for a change . This would be an ideal scenario . If Montreal offered some package of a 2021 1st , 2021 2nd and any two of chariot, kulak , lehkonen , Hillis , Harris , poehling , I think that should be close to fair value and doubtful it would be beaten .
If it didn’t work with ekholm or we can’t resign him we could at least recover a first and second/prospect next year . Seems like a no brainer to me .

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->