Value of: Ekholm

TK

Feb 26, 2019
If it didn’t work with ekholm or we can’t resign him we could at least recover a first and second/prospect next year . Seems like a no brainer to me .

Why would the Preds trade him for a 1st+2nd+mediocre assets with 1.5 years left if they could get the exact same at the trade deadline next year? Not like they benefit from freeing up an expansion slot, the Preds probably don't even have 8 skaters worth protecting. They might even be able to do better if they wait until after the expansion draft and let teams talk extension with him.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Why would the Preds trade him for a 1st+2nd+mediocre assets with 1.5 years left if they could get the exact same at the trade deadline next year? Not like they benefit from freeing up an expansion slot, the Preds probably don't even have 8 skaters worth protecting. They might even be able to do better if they wait until after the expansion draft and let teams talk extension with him.
I would think Ekholm will hold less value next year than this year . Teams get two playoff runs out of him instead of one . Next year there would still be no gaurantees of getting him extended . I’m very aware of Ekholm s value and if they were looking at a bit of a rebuild the value is close . Chariot replaces a lot of minutes ( albeit at a lesser quality ) but picking up a first second and a good young player ( lehkonen ) or prospect ( Harris ,poehling ) is fair value . So no they won’t get the exact same value for him next year .

TK

Feb 26, 2019
I would think Ekholm will hold less value next year than this year . Teams get two playoff runs out of him instead of one . Next year there would still be no gaurantees of getting him extended . I’m very aware of Ekholm s value and if they were looking at a bit of a rebuild the value is close . Chariot replaces a lot of minutes ( albeit at a lesser quality ) but picking up a first second and a good young player ( lehkonen ) or prospect ( Harris ,poehling ) is fair value . So no they won’t get the exact same value for him next year .

Lehkonen is nothing special and certainly not anything the Preds don't already have plenty of. Chiarot is a decent but overpaid bottom pairing D-man and those prospects are nothing special. My point is that what you've offered here IS essentially just a 1st+2nd, the same thing you're saying Montreal could snag at the deadline.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Chariot is a decent 4/5 who is very physical . It’s not out of question he’s worth a 2nd alone . Whether it’s lehkonen and or another prospect , let’s see how much better you can do than a first second chariot and lehkonen /Harris / poehling. We can always haggle on the prospect /player but let’s not get to crazy now .

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
In montreals case I would go for it . It would mean exposing chariot or edmundson but there’s a good chance will lose Allen before those two anyway . If we’re to lose one of those d it would be a bit of a win actually because then we can keep Allen and enjoy 3.5 in cap space .
Ekholm steps in to play with Weber and for a change we have a guy who would be supporting Weber for a change . This would be an ideal scenario . If Montreal offered some package of a 2021 1st , 2021 2nd and any two of chariot, kulak , lehkonen , Hillis , Harris , poehling , I think that should be close to fair value and doubtful it would be beaten .
If it didn’t work with ekholm or we can’t resign him we could at least recover a first and second/prospect next year . Seems like a no brainer to me .
MTL is classic case to go all in on Ekblom if you think this is your year. Cost will be say Guhle plus. If you offering players that are borderline protectables stop and start over. If you are offering D you have to protect in ED, stop and start over as this is NASH's strength. Feel free to debate how much plus. But the difference in losing an Allen or a Chariot is not so much to prohibit you from making the trade.

PHI's case is very very different. It means without a trade pre ED you almost have to go 4x4 and lose either Patrick or Lindblom in ED. So say trade went along lines of Frost and 1(I know Frost out the year but lets be real NASH isn't doing anything this year). Is 1.5 years(hope u resign of course but not a lock)of Ekblom worth a 1, Frost, and for sake of argument Patrick? I hope Fletcher doesn't get within 50 miles of those moves.

Reactions: BernieParent

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
He is a 40 pt d-man . Not sure how you can argue this . He’s done it two years ago and would easily have done it last year to . He’s quality because defensively he is excellent. Where our petry would have a slight edge offensively on him , Ekholm would have the same slight edge defensively on petry . He’s quality period .

Oh so you have a magical gift oof seeing what would've happened and what could happen? H's got 3pts in 12 games (20,5 pts on a 82games schedule this year BTW) this year, he's reached the mark ONCE. even last year, on a 82games schedule, he was on pace for 39pts (that's not 40+ in my book)

He's a 30-35pts avegarge / season in the NHL since 2015, not 40. He's a 2nd pairing d-man, and giving away guys like Guhle, Caufield, HArris, Brooks, Ylonen, Norlinder etc. would be silly for a 2nd pairing d-man. He isn't, and never will be, worth a 1st + A / B+ grade propects.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
MTL is classic case to go all in on Ekblom if you think this is your year. Cost will be say Guhle plus. If you offering players that are borderline protectables stop and start over. If you are offering D you have to protect in ED, stop and start over as this is NASH's strength. Feel free to debate how much plus. But the difference in losing an Allen or a Chariot is not so much to prohibit you from making the trade.

PHI's case is very very different. It means without a trade pre ED you almost have to go 4x4 and lose either Patrick or Lindblom in ED. So say trade went along lines of Frost and 1(I know Frost out the year but lets be real NASH isn't doing anything this year). Is 1.5 years(hope u resign of course but not a lock)of Ekblom worth a 1, Frost, and for sake of argument Patrick? I hope Fletcher doesn't get within 50 miles of those moves.
Doesn’t have to start with guhle though . If montreals package is better than other offers without guhle Nashville would error in taking a lesser offer .

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Oh so you have a magical gift oof seeing what would've happened and what could happen? H's got 3pts in 12 games (20,5 pts on a 82games schedule this year BTW) this year, he's reached the mark ONCE. even last year, on a 82games schedule, he was on pace for 39pts (that's not 40+ in my book)

He's a 30-35pts avegarge / season in the NHL since 2015, not 40. He's a 2nd pairing d-man, and giving away guys like Guhle, Caufield, HArris, Brooks, Ylonen, Norlinder etc. would be silly for a 2nd pairing d-man. He isn't, and never will be, worth a 1st + A / B+ grade propects.
I respect your opinion on how good Ekholm is . I just value him a little more than you do . I personally think he’s pretty close to Petry’s value . What he lacks offensively compared to petry he makes up for defensively. I’m not deterred by his slow start this year . Firmly believe given the right deployment (top pair with Weber) he would deliver .
I’m curious that if Ekholm is not the guy to sure up our left side who you may think would be a good get . The rental market this year is almost non existent. I’d like to see an upgrade . Who could fill in the blank below ?
..................... Weber
Edmundson Petry
Chariot Romanov

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012

Boy your really splitting hairs on that 40 point thing . Last year based over an 82 game schedule he would have been at 39.79. Keep in mind he’s big , mobile , great defensively and can move the puck .

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Boy your really splitting hairs on that 40 point thing . Last year based over an 82 game schedule he would have been at 39.79. Keep in mind he’s big , mobile , great defensively and can move the puck .

Keep in mind Habs have one of the top5 prospect pool in the NHL (IMO), Romanov could be the one playing top line min w/ Weber easilly. Let the kids grow, we do not need to rush the process to win it all this year. we'll be just as good in 2years (prob even better) w/ the kids coming up, and our top2 C spots filled w/ KK and Suzuki.

Just doesn' make sense to trade away our futur for a 2nd pairing d-man who's averaged 30pts / season in his career, and who'll be looking for a significant raise (6M$ + / year MINIMUM) next year

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Doesn’t have to start with guhle though . If montreals package is better than other offers without guhle Nashville would error in taking a lesser offer .
The rental D market that is out there flat out SUX on who can be available. Montour? Gudbranson? Oh Goodie. Ekholm is a D guy that moves the needle for PHI, PIT, MTL, EDM, WIN, etc. So the cost is going to be LEGIT. I also would make the case 1's in this year are devalued as how can you scout a guy not playing in NA and was all ready seen as a weak draft? So say Romanov, CC etc are off limits, I can't see how its not Guhle plus.

MarkyMarkov

Jan 31, 2010
The rental D market that is out there flat out SUX on who can be available. Montour? Gudbranson? Oh Goodie. Ekholm is a D guy that moves the needle for PHI, PIT, MTL, EDM, WIN, etc. So the cost is going to be LEGIT. I also would make the case 1's in this year are devalued as how can you scout a guy not playing in NA and was all ready seen as a weak draft? So say Romanov, CC etc are off limits, I can't see how its not Guhle plus.

If Nashville insists on Guhle it's a no from me. Draft picks and someone like Norlinder, Struble, Harris etc. is what Habs would offer, I believe.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Edmonton's in a weird spot in that we don't know if we're getting Klefbom back or not next year. If we do, Nurse/Klef/Jones/Lagesson/Broberg is a pretty damned strong left side. If we aren't, Ekholm would be an excellent fit and well with giving up a 1st+ for.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Keep in mind Habs have one of the top5 prospect pool in the NHL (IMO), Romanov could be the one playing top line min w/ Weber easilly. Let the kids grow, we do not need to rush the process to win it all this year. we'll be just as good in 2years (prob even better) w/ the kids coming up, and our top2 C spots filled w/ KK and Suzuki.

Just doesn' make sense to trade away our futur for a 2nd pairing d-man who's averaged 30pts / season in his career, and who'll be looking for a significant raise (6M$ + / year MINIMUM) next year
Well you should take comfort in the fact that bergevin to date is always about protecting the future so the notion of him giving up a first second prospect and a player is really unlikely. I like it for this year because I’m certain we could recoup a 1st and a prospect next year so I don’t see it as mortgaging the future. Especially where we have 2 seconds this year plus 3 of everything else it seems ( except 1sts ). If he did work out great and resigned for 5 yrs at the petry extension rate our defense would be in fine shape .
I really believe we could seriously compete this year with Ekholm on the back end . I said before julien got fired he should go . That much was clear in the bubble when he fell ill . I’d like to see the left side shored up .

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
God yes the rental market sucks . I still think I could put together a competitive offer without giving up Romanov struble cc or guhle .
For example a first second third lehkonen and norlinder or first second third chariot and poehling.

I would but bergevin is never doing this

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->