Speculation: Ekholm to PHI

TK

Feb 26, 2019
Konecky on long term deal at reasonable cost. Also Flyers at this point have their 7 keeps in f ED and have to expose one of Voracek/JVR. It makes no sense to make a 1 for 2 trade and expose both players you acquire for Konecky.
I would think deal looks like
Gus(expiring deal for pure salary cap purpose)
2021 1(lets say top 4 protected)
Would suspect b+ prospect too

If he's to be traded for picks/prospects, I would think that's about right provided that Gus could be flipped for another B prospect or 2nd round pick. Muzzin got a 1st and a couple of decent prospects, don't think Ekholm should go for any less.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
maybe looking at someone like Edler is our better option
he can walk in the end of the season

Last edited:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
maybe looking at someone like Edler is our better option
he can walk in the end of the season
A lot of teams should just take this approach. If you want Ekholm, it should be because you feel your team is a bona fide contender this season and next, and are willing to pay an extreme premium accordingly. If you aren't in that category, if you are basically just vulturing for a bargain, then you are wasting everybody's time. Many fanbases on here are doing that with the Ekholm talk. Mostly the Usual Suspects in Montreal and Toronto.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
A lot of teams should just take this approach. If you want Ekholm, it should be because you feel your team is a bona fide contender this season and next, and are willing to pay an extreme premium accordingly. If you aren't in that category, if you are basically just vulturing for a bargain, then you are wasting everybody's time. Many fanbases on here are doing that with the Ekholm talk. Mostly the Usual Suspects in Montreal and Toronto.
1. Paying premium does not guarantee anything.
2. Paying premium and losing someone at 2021 expansion draft (not feeling that)

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
1. Paying premium does not guarantee anything.
2. Paying premium and losing someone at 2021 expansion draft (not feeling that)
Those are the sorts of things everybody should consider. Maybe you're not sure you're a contender. Maybe he introduces expansion problems. Maybe he requires a Cap Dump the other way for Cap reasons. In all of those cases, teams are basically disqualifying themselves from chasing Ekholm. And that's ok. Just don't expect Nashville to sell him cheaply to accommodate your complications. Maybe you can get an impending UFA much more cheaply who will fill your need and do almost as well for you, like the Edler example. Go shopping. I don't think Ekholm is going to fit for (m)any teams, cost considered.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Those are the sorts of things everybody should consider. Maybe you're not sure you're a contender. Maybe he introduces expansion problems. Maybe he requires a Cap Dump the other way for Cap reasons. In all of those cases, teams are basically disqualifying themselves from chasing Ekholm. And that's ok. Just don't expect Nashville to sell him cheaply to accommodate your complications.
I do not expect anything I said that some risks are worth taking and some are not...

Predators were in position to take a run at SC not too long ago and look at them now.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
lol no way in f*** is anything besides a pick and B prospect being traded for a rental 2nd pair D

preds1

Apr 2, 2010
TN
lol no way in f*** is anything besides a pick and B prospect being traded for a rental 2nd pair D
He’s not a UFA rental. Philly could easily flip him for a 1st next year if he isn’t resigned.

Last edited:

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I guess we'll see.

He's the best defenseman on the market and second best asset on the market if the Eichel rumors are true. He's a 40 point defensive defenseman, he can comfortably play 20-25 minutes a night, he makes 3.75 M without any retention and he's got 60 games of playoff experience and .50PPG in the playoffs. A contender is going to offer a 1st.

If you don't want Philly to get him that's one thing, to say that he's going to get a 2nd and some random is false though.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Such a long post....filled with mistakes.

If the Flyers protect 3 D(Provy, Sanheim and Myers), then they protect 7 F....not 5 like you posted.

So G and Hayes(NMC), TK and Couts....those 4 for sure. Then 3 of Jake, JVR, Patrick and Lindblom protected...with 1 exposed. It looked like JVR going into the season, now who knows given how well he is playing.

Your hatred toward Voracek continues despite him being on a 67 point pace the last 2 years.....and 71 point pace this year.

Hell...look deeper. In Jakes WORST year the last 9 in Philly....he had 61 pts in 82 games. Every other season he paced for more than 61 pts/82 games.

Posted from work with interruption.

Points are fine and all when youre given 1W minutes but Voracek is also a turnover machine. Hes not a team leader and hes overpaid and signed for too long.

Expose Jake also gives much needed cap flexibility

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
The price may be too high for me. Ekholm is a number one defenseman on most teams. However, this talk that he is better than Provorov has to stop.
Ekholm is not a 1, But he is a 2nd pair d-man in a market void of 2nd pair d-men available. And Ekholm would be 3rd best lhd on the Flyers. I would guess Flyers would play Sanheim on his off hand with Provorov and them Ekholm paired with Myers on 2nd pair.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
Posted from work with interruption.

Points are fine and all when youre given 1W minutes but Voracek is also a turnover machine. Hes not a team leader and hes overpaid and signed for too long.

Expose Jake also gives much needed cap flexibility

If the Flyers want to move on from Voracek, they'll just trade him for a haul. Absolutely 0 chance they hand him to Seattle for nothing. He may be overpaid (barely) and signed for too long (barely), but 60-70 point forwards don't grow on trees.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
If Poile values a 30year old 2nd pair rental D-man as much as some posters on this board then the Flyers should stay way clear. Our defensive issues aren't that bad now that Ghost is rounding back into form.

If I'm trading big assets I'm going for a big fish like Eichel.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
If the Flyers want to move on from Voracek, they'll just trade him for a haul. Absolutely 0 chance they hand him to Seattle for nothing. He may be overpaid (barely) and signed for too long (barely), but 60-70 point forwards don't grow on trees.
He has a year left after this one, not a rental. And has a fantastic cap hit.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Edler has looked old and slow this year.
I mean he is still capable.. Ideally it would be nice to get someone really really solid and sign him long terms but since we probably won't be able to keep him than lets take a flyer on someone that may work but won't be worth as much..

Savard will be at least a 1st round pick and we won't be able to keep him, so going back to Edler or someone like Edler... He is not worth 1st but he can produce and could be good for us. I want to see our top 4 taking major steps forward and so far I just do not see it.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
The price may be too high for me. Ekholm is a number one defenseman on most teams. However, this talk that he is better than Provorov has to stop.

I don't think anybody's saying that. They're saying that Provorov is not as good as Josi, so he'd never play top pairing minutes on the left side here.

Yet he's a number 1 on a playoff team in the League's best division. That's some serious logic

Josi won the Norris this past season, that's great that he's on the top pairing on a better team, but he's not above Josi.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019

Lmao at a "haul" for Voracek.

Good luck with that

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
I don't think anybody's saying that. They're saying that Provorov is not as good as Josi, so he'd never play top pairing minutes on the left side here.

Josi won the Norris this past season, that's great that he's on the top pairing on a better team, but he's not above Josi.

He's much closer to Josi than you think and he's 24. I'll take Provy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad